Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

RiDING Across America (Third time lucky me )

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:39 AM
chrisvor
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RiDING Across America (Third time lucky me )

If anyone was following the first two trips we did it again in 2013 but had to save up a bit longer for time off from my business and to pay for the trip as the exchange rate was a bit hard on the pocket....none the less after 2010 and 2011 trips we were hooked on riding across America

Thing is now we start looking at more new places we wanted to see and the trip took a direction of its own then my mate said he would meet us in vegas and it all fell into place

Again we picked up the one way rental from Orlando Harley and same timing more or less we liked the weather in Fall across the entire country and its huge as you know...but Autumn seemed to work for us

The trip ended up like this
Orlando to Miami Beach to Key west rested a few days there taking in a booze cruise and walking around then back towards Tampa through the Everglades then up past Atlanta to Deals Gap....then we went to Nashville then Memphis and headed west to Springfield and Kansas City visited the Harley factory there
this should be on every owners bucket list we did the steel cap tour was amazing to see the bikes being built
From Kansas City slept over in Burlington to Denver saw the dealership then moved on to Manitou springs for the night then to Silverton where we slept over and next day down to 4 Corners Monument then slept at Mexican Hat ....our friends arrived a bit early in Vegas decided to hire a car and drove out to meet us in the desert that evening we had a mini party in Mexican Hat
From Mexican Hat it was Monument valley and then we slept over at the Grand Canyon North rim as you will remember last time here in 2010 was a bit of a rush
Then back to Vegas we shared a self catering place and visited the sights for a few last days together then our friends flew back home and we continued on our way to San Francisco again our end destination
this time we did
Las Vegas to Lee Vinning through death valley this was a hectic experience as we hit a sand storm from hell and then a 100 miles later we were freezing ......two opposite ends of the scale in such a short distance so it seemed to me
We were fortunate to get through Yosemite park as a week earlier they had huge fires in that area.....but what a nice ride through that park it was breathtaking
We ended in San Fran again lucky to have a bike we explored more of SF and got to know the City even better
on the last day my GPS finally gave up the ghost we were lucky it took us this far ....fortunately finding our way around SF without a GPs wasn't the end of the world this being our third time here
next Morning we handed the bike back at Dudley Perkins and took the train into the city for last bit of sight seeing before we went home
Another awesome trip of a lifetime

America had stolen our hearts for sure even today as i right this short version of our trip I feel a part of me is still there...

Anyway as things would have it we would be back for a 4th instalment......but thats another post

Last edited by chrisvor; 04-24-2017 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (05-02-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 05:45 AM
george liles
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

3 amazing trips across the country! You sir are having the time a lot of us can only dream about. Keep the pics coming.

chrisvor (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 07:09 AM
chrisvor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by george liles
3 amazing trips across the country! You sir are having the time a lot of us can only dream about. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks for those kind words ......it all started as a dream too so it is just a matter of pinning it down

Old 04-27-2017, 10:33 PM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

All three trips look like great ones, have to check out your fourth trip now

chrisvor (05-02-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:10 AM
chrisvor
Intermediate

tree of shame at the dragon