Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Month off which way?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 AM
justmike911
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Month off which way?

I have a month off and taking my ultra limited for a big ride. I live in Fort Lauderdale. Debating heading west to Vegas via all the cool national parks. Then head to South Dakota and back through South on Blue Ridge. Then a friend told me about Nova Scotia and Cabot trail area. Making trip June 1st. Which would you choose. No trailering.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 PM
Fast66
Tourer
Received 274 Likes on 122 Posts

The way I see it, unless you will be getting that kind of time off regularly, do the western loop. Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail are beautiful but you should be able to do that one in 2 weeks.
Grab a National Parks pass and enjoy!!!

Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by justmike911
I have a month off and taking my ultra limited for a big ride. I live in Fort Lauderdale. Debating heading west to Vegas via all the cool national parks. Then head to South Dakota and back through South on Blue Ridge. Then a friend told me about Nova Scotia and Cabot trail area. Making trip June 1st. Which would you choose. No trailering.
I live a few miles north of you mate.

I did all that. CABOT TRAIL is what I would do again. I am riding to Leesburg tomorrow for a few days so if u reply to this, it will be a few days b4 I get back to you.

IF you decide to go to Cabot Trail, do NOT take the 1st left with there is a big sign that says Cabot Trail, turn here (left). You want to go to the next one.

I do not have the time now but I could tell you exactly why.

Also on the way to Cabot Trail and back there is a lot of really cool things to say. Nicer riding in my opinion as well.

I can talk a great deal more about all the wicked cool things on the way up to Cabot Trail and back.

Out West is also more apt to be warmer. You are typically leaving the same time I usually leave for a 7 week trip.

And I love the idea that you are not using a trailer.

You sound like my kind of rider. You can find me at www.BocaMotorcycleRidingClub.com. Locally, we ride most Wednesdays and Saturdays. And often do overnights like we are tomorrow going up to Leesburg.

But between the 2 options, I definitely would go up to Cabot Trail.

G'day mate. Oh, tell us what decision you made and why okay?

I am also glad to see how much time you have to ride. Way to go man!

BuzzCap7

Old 04-28-2017, 08:02 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

1 Month free and Leaving June 1, I would go west, check road conditions when you head over the high Passes, you will see snow and will some cold temps. Post you Pics !

Old 04-28-2017, 11:09 AM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably cannot go wrong either way but that is a good time to come up to New England and hit New Brunswick/Nova Scotia-Cape Breton/PEI and maybe Acadia. After June it gets pretty crowded in many seacoast areas. I know Fast66 indicated you can do this in two weeks but I live in NH and could not cover all of the NB/NS/PEI area in a week. Cabot trail is one day of riding out of many great rides up in the area. Let us know what you choose and if you want more info on the areas of choice.

Dave

Old 04-30-2017, 06:34 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

OP--Seems to me that living where you do only offers two directions to ride--north or west.
June weather, IMHO you would be much better off riding in the southwest and then perhaps a bit north before heading east (in other words, a gigantic loop)!
If you should go this way, you may want to consider taking the Natchez Trace out of Natchez. MS north to Nashville, TN then heading east to the Smokey Mts.
Lots of great riding opportunities before turning south.

The southwest has a lot of "open country" riding with a lot less threat of rain, sleet or even snow if you was to go to far north. Even the eastern mountain ranges can be rainy in June, just be prepared with the proper riding gear.

I hope to do Nova Scotia (again) PEI, and perhaps NL in the near future but I will do it in July and August.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:57 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Some of the higher mountain roads in the West may not be open in June. You would just need to check. The Beartooth Pass, East of Yellowstone is supposed to open end of May.

Road To The Sun usually opens end of June. But there was a lot of snow in the Northern Rockys this year.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 05-01-2017 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect.....
Old 04-30-2017, 10:18 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Some of the higher mountain roads in the West may not be open in June. You would just need to check. The Beartooth Pass, East of Yellowstone is supposed to open end of May.

Road To The Sun usually opens end of June. But there was a lot of snow in the Northern Rocky's this year.
I lived near Great Falls, MT for years. Check your weather, because Glacier Park can have snow as late as July. Rarely happens, but MT has wild and drastic weather changes. One year we had wet snow at 3,500 ft on the 4th of July!

Old 05-01-2017, 06:39 AM
justmike911
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks all

It's tempting to head north but I've decided to go out west then drift NW on the way home. Then the Blue Ridge Parkway for the final trip. I also have an iridium sat tracker and will be posting my positions every few hours.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

A month?
Wanna make it the ride of a lifetime?
Alaska! (Well, it is North West!)
www.akrider.com

Might want to check on temperature predictions for "out West" in June.
I don't know what is hotter~
90F with 90% humidity, or
125F and 11% humidity...
I can tell you from personal experience that the deserts of the Southwest get beyond toasty in June. By late May, they can be 100F, at night.
Other than lots of lights, what is there in Vegas?
Got a riding checklist yet?
2 things I'd want for sure.
Airhawk pad, and
a camelback. Oh yeah, and a Visa card! Used "Hotel tonight" app with great success in the past.
If you make it all the way to San Diego, you can travel North to Seattle via the coast routes. Plan on 4-5 days for this. Check www.dot.ca.gov for road conditions in Calif.
(There is a bridge out in Central Cal along the coastal route.) Rebuilding will take until Christmas 2017. Give or take.
Get thru LA during off hours (if, that even exists anymore.)

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 05-01-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: more info added.