Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Taking a trip to Colorado, few?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Taking a trip to Colorado, few?

I'm planning a trip to Colorado and I have a few questions about a few of the roads I'll be taking.

I'll be rolling into Pogosa Springs,and take 160 to South Fork. Then take 149 to the Gunnison area. I'll spend a few nights around that area, going to the canyon and Blue Mesa.

Then head up 135 to 742 and hit 209 to Cottonwood Pass. It looks like on the map that 209 turns to dirt some of the way. ???? Can you make that stretch on the bike??? Heading to Buena Vista.

Then head north on 24 to 82 to Independence Pass to Basalt. Then head west on 105 to Hagerman Pass to Leadville. ???? It looks like parts of 105 is dirt. Can a bike make it over this section???

Then head north 91 to interstate 70 to 6 to run Loveland Pass. And then head to Mt Evans, and spend a few nights around that area.

Then hit 40 to Berthoud Pass to Granby. Then on to Estes Park and spend a few days or more there. And then take the back way home hitting Pikes Peak.

I only have two and a half weeks. ??? Is that enough time to handle this trip??? I'm leaving June 19. I don't have to be back to work until July 5. Thanks for the help. I have search this forum for help and refed to the Butler map and came up with a few twist myself. (I think)

Old 05-18-2017, 09:07 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Cant really answer all your questions, but a buddy a d I did a great trip, in 8 days, last year. Mt.Evans is awesome. Pikes Peak, also cool....but get there as it opens, clear road up and down that way.

This was our route in Colorado. We rode from Illinois,

Last edited by jeffro09; 05-22-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
I'm planning a trip to Colorado and I have a few questions about a few of the roads I'll be taking.

I'll be rolling into Pogosa Springs,and take 160 to South Fork. Then take 149 to the Gunnison area. I'll spend a few nights around that area, going to the canyon and Blue Mesa.

Then head up 135 to 742 and hit 209 to Cottonwood Pass. It looks like on the map that 209 turns to dirt some of the way. ???? Can you make that stretch on the bike??? Heading to Buena Vista.

Then head north on 24 to 82 to Independence Pass to Basalt. Then head west on 105 to Hagerman Pass to Leadville. ???? It looks like parts of 105 is dirt. Can a bike make it over this section???

Then head north 91 to interstate 70 to 6 to run Loveland Pass. And then head to Mt Evans, and spend a few nights around that area.

Then hit 40 to Berthoud Pass to Granby. Then on to Estes Park and spend a few days or more there. And then take the back way home hitting Pikes Peak.

I only have two and a half weeks. ??? Is that enough time to handle this trip??? I'm leaving June 19. I don't have to be back to work until July 5. Thanks for the help. I have search this forum for help and refed to the Butler map and came up with a few twist myself. (I think)

First, you've got plenty of time for the trip. Plan to spend time in all the small towns along the way and get to know Colorado better than just passing through. About your route - Cottonwood Pass has about 10-15 (I'm guessing here) miles of hard pack dirt. Its pretty well used and the east side is paved all the way to the top. I've never ridden in on my bike but I think you'll be okay - I know of others who have done it. Have you ever ridden Wolf Creek Pass? Its a great ride and it'll take you from Gunnison to wherever you want to go without going over Cottonwood Pass. Also, don't forget a day in Crested Butte - IMO one of the prettiest towns in Colorado - only about 30 minutes north of Gunnison.

Second: NO...do not try Hagerman Pass! This is a high clearance road that is rocky, can be muddy and just not a place for a HD. I was there two years ago on my Toyota FJ and it was raining hard, and I had to use 4wd to get to the top. The only bike to use here would be one equipped for off-road use.

I've posted several times on this section of the forum with thoughts and suggestions for Colorado rides. There are dozens of others (maybe some you've already found) that'll be of help. Have a safe ride!

Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 AM
CR3999
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Whiskers
First, you've got plenty of time for the trip. Plan to spend time in all the small towns along the way and get to know Colorado better than just passing through. About your route - Cottonwood Pass has about 10-15 (I'm guessing here) miles of hard pack dirt. Its pretty well used and the east side is paved all the way to the top. I've never ridden in on my bike but I think you'll be okay - I know of others who have done it. Have you ever ridden Wolf Creek Pass? Its a great ride and it'll take you from Gunnison to wherever you want to go without going over Cottonwood Pass. Also, don't forget a day in Crested Butte - IMO one of the prettiest towns in Colorado - only about 30 minutes north of Gunnison.

Second: NO...do not try Hagerman Pass! This is a high clearance road that is rocky, can be muddy and just not a place for a HD. I was there two years ago on my Toyota FJ and it was raining hard, and I had to use 4wd to get to the top. The only bike to use here would be one equipped for off-road use.

I've posted several times on this section of the forum with thoughts and suggestions for Colorado rides. There are dozens of others (maybe some you've already found) that'll be of help. Have a safe ride!
Thanks for the heads up about Hagerman pass. I'll have to figure a different route.
I haven't been over Wolf Creek pass yet. But it is part of the route. It is on 160? Then I take a left on 149 to Powderhorn.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Cottonwood Pass is closed this summer.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:20 AM
CR3999
Road Captain

BUMMER, I'm glad I made this post.
Nothing like plan "C"

Old 05-19-2017, 03:58 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

While in Estes, hit Trail Ridge Road (in the morn before it gets busy) and the Peak to Peak Highway.

The following users liked this post:
CR3999 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Also, Wolf Creek Pass is between Pagosa Springs and South Fork on 160. When you hit South Fork, you go north on 149 through Creede and Lake City on the way to Blue Mesa and Gunnison.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:27 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Cotton wood pass is closed this summer and maybe next year to. They are doing a major overhaul on the road.
Lots of good riding in the area Crested Butte, Taylor Park, Million Dallor Highway

Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

I spent 24 years there. The mountains are a great place to visit, camp and drive through. I would avoid the dirt roads myself.

Quick Reply: Taking a trip to Colorado, few?