Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado Weather in May

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Colorado Weather in May

Every year I get a couple PM's from riders asking whether May is a good month to ride in Colorado. In general I tell them that its a hit-miss proposition with our mountain weather and spring storms. Last night we had our second spring storm in a couple weeks and here are some of the total accumulations:

Allenspark (near Estes Park) 36"
Denver area .5"-6"
Four Corners 13"
Pinecliffe 30"

This is a Front Range storm so some parts of the West Slope got none or little snow

Grand Junction 0"

Again, hit or miss. My recommendation for Colorado riding remains June 1- late October. Monsoons hit June - July, frost in the high country by Sept. 1st. IMO, the best riding is September 1 to mid-October. Usually great weather, not as many other tourists to deal with, trees are in full color the third week of Sept, temps have moderated and hotel rates have usually dropped. Great riding this way but best to plan for inclement weather up to the first week of June.

Ride safe.

The following users liked this post:
Hazzardousmat (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:41 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

We got 6-12" in the San Juan Mountains which isn't unusual for this time of the year. But, I am riding the San Juan Skyway Saturday. 😎

Old 05-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Chilidog11
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a Colorado question if you don't mind. We will be out to Colorado Springs and Estes Park the end of August. I'm a newer rider so I'm not sure if I was given some good advice to riding in the mountains. I was told that the gas there is to low a grade for motorcycles and that you need to put a fuel supplement in the tank to get enough power (this is just for the mountains). I'm in Illinois and our premium gas is 93. Sorry for the stupid question. Thanks, Chili

Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chilidog11
I have a Colorado question if you don't mind. We will be out to Colorado Springs and Estes Park the end of August. I'm a newer rider so I'm not sure if I was given some good advice to riding in the mountains. I was told that the gas there is to low a grade for motorcycles and that you need to put a fuel supplement in the tank to get enough power (this is just for the mountains). I'm in Illinois and our premium gas is 93. Sorry for the stupid question. Thanks, Chili
Not true, you certainly don't need a supplement (I have NEVER heard that!). You can get 89 or 91 which works just fine at the highest of altitudes.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Chilidog11
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Thank you so much. I thought it sounded funny but like I said, I'm new.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Agree with what SanJuan Ron said...never heard of that either. Any more questions about riding here, ask away!

Ride safe.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:30 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

Thanks for the report. My trip this year is to your state and was needing the info you supplied.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:54 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Wiskers thanks for the thread. I am or was planning to head to Colorado this coming Wednesday, May 25th to do some riding. I am trying to watch the weather and saw all the storms, what I cant tell is what do the roads look like? Are they salt covered, is there a lot of water run off?

We are thinking we need an alternate plan for this coming week, and may head to Nevada.

Would you give me a report on the roads? We are planning to come into Fort Collins.

THanks
Luke

Old 05-20-2017, 08:51 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by luc.who
Wiskers thanks for the thread. I am or was planning to head to Colorado this coming Wednesday, May 25th to do some riding. I am trying to watch the weather and saw all the storms, what I cant tell is what do the roads look like? Are they salt covered, is there a lot of water run off?

We are thinking we need an alternate plan for this coming week, and may head to Nevada.

Would you give me a report on the roads? We are planning to come into Fort Collins.

THanks
Luke
The biggest concern in the mountains right now is the gravel (take tight turns carefully!) especially on the passes and also ice in the morning hours until around 9 AM. I don't start riding above 9,000 feet until after around 9AM due to possible ice. Watch the temps when you begin. We were down to 12 degrees here at home at 9,500 feet Friday morning. But, the forecast is for much warmer temps going forward.