Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Considering a cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I rode from San Diego to NC. Took 9 days and still wasn't enough. I spent some days not riding and seeing the sites and it was a great experience but long days in the seat are boring and at the end of the day your tired and if a situation comes up where you have to react fast good luck. I don't understand 900 mile days, I can't do that in a car. Fly to Chattanooga, rent a bike, ride the roads and fly home is an option and make the most of your time off.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:56 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am retired an Loving It! My first trip from SE Louisiana to PNW and back took 7 months, and I knew I had to go again ASAP cause I did not spend enough time in all the wonderful places. Second, Third, and Fourth trips later, each over 5 months apiece, and I still cannot get enough of the West, and you are fortunate enough to live there. I ventured over to the East coast one summer, and did the Smokies thing, and just wound up pedaling like hell to get back across the "Great" Plains and back into the Rockies. Sorry, just me maybe, but those wide open spaces, extreme elevations, and that rocky Pacific Coast are just So Hard to Beat! Smokies are very pretty, especially in the Fall, and their twisties are fun and challenging (The Tail for instance),but with that dense forest and high humidity you just do not get the vistas you get out West, and it is So Crowded. Maybe you will be glad you did it once, but after you have "Been There and Done That" I am betting you will be content to stay West of the "Great" Plains and Chihuahua Desert.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:59 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

By the way. Olympic National Park and Neah Bay are in my sights for this summer. Good idea?

Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Too many miles per day. It's fine on some days like going across Kansas and such, but I'd try to shoot for plan for 250-300 and if feel like going further, your not "running behind"

Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 AM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireax
By the way. Olympic National Park and Neah Bay are in my sights for this summer. Good idea?
Sometimes we need to be reminded to enjoy the place we currently are instead of longing for somewhere we want to be. I appreciate the reminder.

I've hiked in the ONP for 20+ years and it's absolutely beautiful. Riding the 101 all the way around the state is pretty incredible. Neah Bay is a fun ride too. Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Hurricane Ridge, Whidbey Island, Deception Pass and the list goes on.

Depending on how much time you have .... which sounds like a LOT .... you could easily spend weeks exploring this state alone. Throw in the Columbia Gorge down in Oregon and that makes it even longer.

Now that I have described it .... I feel a cold coming on and may need to leave work early LOL

Again ... Thanks for the perspective. It's needed now and again.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:49 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

If you start to get discouraged by the naysayers, re-read the post from lh4x4. You can definitely do this and you can have a great time doing it. Like some others, I've done rides where 300 miles was the long day and rides where 700 miles was a short day. Both have their merits as long as you're prepared.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Lay off the caffeine. If you can, wean yourself from it in the days and weeks leading up to your ride. It will tend to dehydrate you and hydration is your best friend on a long motorcycle ride.

2) Rest up. I'm not talking about going to sleep early the night before. You'll be so excited that night that you may likely not sleep well at all. Get good rest for the 3-4 days preceding your ride.

3) Know your limits. I did a 48 States in 10 days ride a few days ago. On the second day, I was beat about 200 miles before our planned destination. I told my companions I was getting a room there and I would catch up with them down the road. Two other riders agreed with me and stayed where I was. Two others were feeling fresh and continued on to the planned destinations. Both groups were fine and two days later we pulled into a gas station in Kentucky where the other guys we just finishing their fill up. It all works out. Just put your safety first.

3) Find the beauty in a 500 mile super slab ride across the plains. I guess it's not for everyone. There are certainly plenty of people who give it a bad rap. I loved riding east across Oklahoma on I-40. The sky was blue. The road was good. My bike was running smooth. What's wrong with that? That's some great thinking time.

4) Find some new roads. Personally, I'd take a side road to someplace interesting over an extra hour at the pool or more time in a hotel room. Swing through a place like Delmont, SD and let you mind wonder about the kind of people who live there. You don't have to stay on the interstate the whole time. There are plenty of long stretches of good roads off the interstate where you can still make really good time. It takes more planning, but it's worth it.

5) Full face helmet. I agree with this suggestion someone else made. I'd still make room to pack your half helmet for those more leisurely rides, but the full face helmet saves a lot of fatigue and, in a sudden storm, it can really help you get safely to the next exit.

6) Sugar free hard candy. Can help to keep you alert after several hours on the bike.

7) Eat light.

8) Tunes. I like to have them. Not all the time, but they help.

9) Have a great time.

The following users liked this post:
crabio (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
If you start to get discouraged by the naysayers, re-read the post from lh4x4. You can definitely do this and you can have a great time doing it. Like some others, I've done rides where 300 miles was the long day and rides where 700 miles was a short day. Both have their merits as long as you're prepared.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Lay off the caffeine. If you can, wean yourself from it in the days and weeks leading up to your ride. It will tend to dehydrate you and hydration is your best friend on a long motorcycle ride.

2) Rest up. I'm not talking about going to sleep early the night before. You'll be so excited that night that you may likely not sleep well at all. Get good rest for the 3-4 days preceding your ride.

3) Know your limits. I did a 48 States in 10 days ride a few days ago. On the second day, I was beat about 200 miles before our planned destination. I told my companions I was getting a room there and I would catch up with them down the road. Two other riders agreed with me and stayed where I was. Two others were feeling fresh and continued on to the planned destinations. Both groups were fine and two days later we pulled into a gas station in Kentucky where the other guys we just finishing their fill up. It all works out. Just put your safety first.

3) Find the beauty in a 500 mile super slab ride across the plains. I guess it's not for everyone. There are certainly plenty of people who give it a bad rap. I loved riding east across Oklahoma on I-40. The sky was blue. The road was good. My bike was running smooth. What's wrong with that? That's some great thinking time.

4) Find some new roads. Personally, I'd take a side road to someplace interesting over an extra hour at the pool or more time in a hotel room. Swing through a place like Delmont, SD and let you mind wonder about the kind of people who live there. You don't have to stay on the interstate the whole time. There are plenty of long stretches of good roads off the interstate where you can still make really good time. It takes more planning, but it's worth it.

5) Full face helmet. I agree with this suggestion someone else made. I'd still make room to pack your half helmet for those more leisurely rides, but the full face helmet saves a lot of fatigue and, in a sudden storm, it can really help you get safely to the next exit.

6) Sugar free hard candy. Can help to keep you alert after several hours on the bike.

7) Eat light.

8) Tunes. I like to have them. Not all the time, but they help.

9) Have a great time.
48 States in 10 days can be done but doesn't leave time for sightseeing, relaxing and just soaking it in. Some of your suggestions are great but there is only 24 hrs in a day.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:09 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I've ridden across the country half a dozen times and never taken less than 3 weeks. I never go direct but still, 5 days is going to be torture and you're not going to see much. My advice would be to take some more time, limit yourself to 300 miles a day, take a couple of days where you don't ride at all or hardly at all and keep off the interstate wherever you can. You'll see America and enjoy the ride a lot more. The only thing you can take away from a road trip is memories and the interstate doesn't create many.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:41 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmboy666
48 States in 10 days can be done but doesn't leave time for sightseeing, relaxing and just soaking it in. Some of your suggestions are great but there is only 24 hrs in a day.
That depends on how you define sightseeing, relaxation, and soaking it in. I'm not saying it's for everyone, or for every trip, but you're wrong if you think that a multi-day high mileage road trip cannot meet those three criteria and also be a very wonderful experience.

Originally Posted by MJR28
I've ridden across the country half a dozen times and never taken less than 3 weeks. I never go direct but still, 5 days is going to be torture and you're not going to see much. My advice would be to take some more time, limit yourself to 300 miles a day, take a couple of days where you don't ride at all or hardly at all and keep off the interstate wherever you can. You'll see America and enjoy the ride a lot more. The only thing you can take away from a road trip is memories and the interstate doesn't create many.
This is a fallacy. Five days of riding creates fewer memories than three weeks of riding because five days is fewer days that twenty-one. The bad rap interstates get may be attributable in part to the fact that in the east the freeways are lined with trees so tall and dense that you see nothing else. But from Seattle to Kansas City, there's no reason to knock travel on an interstate if your time is limited.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:17 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch

Here are my thoughts:
1) Lay off the caffeine. If you can, wean yourself from it in the days and weeks leading up to your ride. It will tend to dehydrate you and hydration is your best friend on a long motorcycle ride. I limit myself to one good cup of coffee knowing full well that it will make me want to pee, but it has not detracted from my long days.

2) Rest up. I'm not talking about going to sleep early the night before. You'll be so excited that night that you may likely not sleep well at all. Get good rest for the 3-4 days preceding your ride. So true about the night before a big trip. Knowing this, we usually start out with a long day as we are fresh even of we don't sleep all that well and follow it with a short day. By this time, we are geared for the road.

3) Know your limits. I did a 48 States in 10 days ride a few days ago. On the second day, I was beat about 200 miles before our planned destination. I told my companions I was getting a room there and I would catch up with them down the road. Two other riders agreed with me and stayed where I was. Two others were feeling fresh and continued on to the planned destinations. Both groups were fine and two days later we pulled into a gas station in Kentucky where the other guys we just finishing their fill up. It all works out. Just put your safety first. Again, I think this is good information. If you are feeling to tired, stop. Don't push on. If you have to, take a long break, say an hour, walk around, eat, and leave again when your head feels strong.

3) Find the beauty in a 500 mile super slab ride across the plains. I guess it's not for everyone. There are certainly plenty of people who give it a bad rap. I loved riding east across Oklahoma on I-40. The sky was blue. The road was good. My bike was running smooth. What's wrong with that? That's some great thinking time. So true, a ride on the slab in Montana is different than a ride on the slab in Washington. If it is new, it is cool, even if the miles seem the same. Being with good riding friends also makes long treks seem shorter. But for every slab in America, there is an ever better alternative.

4) Find some new roads. Personally, I'd take a side road to someplace interesting over an extra hour at the pool or more time in a hotel room. Swing through a place like Delmont, SD and let you mind wonder about the kind of people who live there. You don't have to stay on the interstate the whole time. There are plenty of long stretches of good roads off the interstate where you can still make really good time. It takes more planning, but it's worth it. Again, this is great advise. I am a two lane junky. My friends love me to lead because it is always about the trip, not the destination. Time and time again we find gems that are not talked about anywhere.

5) Full face helmet. I agree with this suggestion someone else made. I'd still make room to pack your half helmet for those more leisurely rides, but the full face helmet saves a lot of fatigue and, in a sudden storm, it can really help you get safely to the next exit. I switched to a 3/4 with a flip face shield years ago. The full helmet is probably better, but I've ridden for days in yellowstone downpours with my faceshield and saw just fine and no fogging.

6) Sugar free hard candy. Can help to keep you alert after several hours on the bike. No need to be sugar free, but hard candy keeps your saliva flowing so your mouth stays healthy.

7) Eat light. Every time you stop, take a slug of water before you eat or drink anything else.

8) Tunes. I like to have them. Not all the time, but they help. I don't listen to tunes much, and I have bluetooth ear speakers in my helmet, but there are times when MeatLoaf* really helps the day pass with pizazz. * no need to list all the others.

9) Have a great time.Seems like we should not have to say this, but sometimes we get so focused on doing something we forget the over all goal. Enjoy all aspect of your trip

Quick Reply: Considering a cross country trip