Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Considering a cross country trip

Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 AM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Considering a cross country trip

Considering a cross country trip next summer (2018) from Seattle, WA. to Chattanooga, TN. I have always dreamed of doing this. Don't know why. It's on my bucket list and so I wanna get it done.

I've done multiple day trips for a while now but have never gotten any further east than Billings MT.

I've mapped out a path that keeps me on the big slab all the way and figure about 500 miles a day. 5 days to get there. Stay for 5 days. 5 days return trip.

Other than the normal preps I would make for a 1000 mile trip is there anything else I'd want to consider before making a 5000 mile trip?

My one concern I guess is that I've done 500 mile days before but that usually beats me up pretty good. I'm not as young as I once was. 500 mile days for 5 days in a row? I don't know ...

Thoughts? Ideas?

Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I've gotta ask...why is Chattanooga, Tennessee on your bucket list? And what are you going to do there for 5 days?

The following users liked this post:
crabio (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

That's actually a good question LOL.

I grew up in Chattanooga. That's where my family is. Seemed like a good destination

Old 05-19-2017, 10:21 AM
mabhd06
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me 5 500 mile days in a row would be too much . I have done several 600 mile days after riding for a week and it really wears me out to the point of being fatigued at the end of the day. Not really alert by the end of the day

crabio (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM
jrrarr
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Grinding out interstate miles on a motorcycle is not very glamorous. I learned this the hard way very early in my motorcycle life. I say that is how boys learn. I prefer the scenic and less travelled roads when I tour, but your timetable doesn't have much fat in it. Even if you cut down the number of days in Chattanooga, do scenic roads in the mountains, interstates across the Plains it's impossible to come up with a schedule that resembles a vacation.

I'd fly to Chattanooga and rent. Days of great (and leisurely) riding in that area plus more time with family or friends. Renting is pricey, especially compared to a car. Consider renting for 3 or 4 days in Chatanooga rather than 7 or more. Add up all the expenses riding cross country and compare them to flights plus rentals and see if it makes sense for your budget.

crabio (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Agree with the above. I think you'll burn out doing 5 days straight on the slab. Also it would be a shame to come this far and not spend a couple of days riding all the good stuff near Deal's Gap (Dragon), Cherohala Skyway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is some good riding north of Chattanooga, but you would be so close to all the really great rides to the east.

I go out of my way to avoid Chattanooga on the bike. There's no good way to get through there and the interstate is horrible. Very curvy, steep grades to the west, rough pavement, lots of trucks going way too fast, big interchange with I-75, etc.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

That's a grind, as others have said. 500 miles a day on a bike is much more difficult than in a car, the sun and wind and boredom of the interstate will really take the fun out of it. But, you can do it - that's for sure. Like Cousy says, the fun is not in Chattanooga, it's a couple hours east in the Smokies....you gotta go there.

They call the Midwest "Flyover Country" for a reason - its BORING. But you can make the trip fun by going the northern route into the Black Hills - avoid riding across Kansas. You can do a couple of 500 mile days, but 250 to 300 mile ones with diversions through parks, mountain roads, etc are well worth it.

Be sure to pack for different weather from low temps to smoking hot days, and start your trip on new tires if yours are less than 80%. Have fun!

Old 05-19-2017, 03:05 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

500 miles of freeway a day is 8 hours of hard riding for 5 days straight.
I'll do a long day, maybe two, then a 300-350 mile day. No more than 5-1/2 hours actual riding the short day. In the past, I'd do two 8 hour days, then a 5 hour day. Off the road by 3 and totally relax. But I frequently am on the road before 7, stop for a 1/2 for a decent lunch and pulling into the motel by 3:00-3:30.
I plan my long trips by hours riding, not mileage. Leave early, say before 8:00 AM, stop for lunch, figure another 2 to 2-1/2 hours of riding and off the road by 3:00, no later than 4. Get a decent rest, poolside if available, but relax so you are ready for a hard ride the next day.

Rocker NH (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 07:56 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,981 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
That's a grind, as others have said. 500 miles a day on a bike is much more difficult than in a car, the sun and wind and boredom of the interstate will really take the fun out of it. But, you can do it - that's for sure. Like Cousy says, the fun is not in Chattanooga, it's a couple hours east in the Smokies....you gotta go there.

They call the Midwest "Flyover Country" for a reason - its BORING. But you can make the trip fun by going the northern route into the Black Hills - avoid riding across Kansas. You can do a couple of 500 mile days, but 250 to 300 mile ones with diversions through parks, mountain roads, etc are well worth it.

Be sure to pack for different weather from low temps to smoking hot days, and start your trip on new tires if yours are less than 80%. Have fun!

Old 05-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Mister A
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take some 5 hour energy drinks for when you can't go any further but have to . Figure out how far you want to drive that day figuring weather and stamina and book your hotel in the morning or early afternoon so there will be no surprises when you get to the front desk . See some sights along the way just to get off the bike and walk around ,try the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg Tn and take the tour . Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering a cross country trip