Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Idaho/Nevada route info wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 10:11 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts
Default Idaho/Nevada route info wanted...

Here is a route I was looking at. Any local info on the roads would be appreciated.

Starting in Mountain Home Idaho, head south on 51 to the Nevada border. Continue on 225 to Elko. Then take I80 to 306 and head south towards Tonopah. Probably stay there over night, and then onto 95 to 267 to Bonnie Claire and into Death Valley.

Google Maps says it is about an 8 hour day. If I stay overnight in Tonopah, and it is hot, I can get on the road early and make my way through Death Valley in the morning hours.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

It's been a long time, 30+ years since I've ridden that area, but back then some stretches of road didn't have many gas stations. I was well into my reserve on some Nevada two lane once and must have gone around 100 miles without seeing a single building. Came upon a single pump cafe just in time, and think it was near another 100 miles before the next one. I'd recommend one of those phone or gps apps that show you where the gas stations are, and if there's any doubt, don't pass a gas station.

Rain can be rare in that part of the country, but when it does, low spots on some highways can have a torrent of water across them; if you hit a flooded section, don't try it at least until you watch a car cross; I've seen cars and and a big rv that didn't make it.

An accurate air gauge is a good idea, too, and use it every day; low pressure at high speeds on those hot highways can ruin a tire quickly. Carry plenty of water when you hit the hot country, even a few hours of dry can make you feel weak. Drink plenty at every stop. That's going to be a scenic ride, you should enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (05-21-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:09 AM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts

Depending when you're going rain shouldn't be much of an issue.Most of that road stretch is in pretty good shape,just not super scenic.It is the high desert.Last time I was up there,you could fuel in Mtn. City,South of Mtn. Home.Get fuel in Carlin,then Eureka,Rd Mtn.You should be fine.Ride from Carlin to Eureka can get hot in the middle of the day.A few little canyon twisties here and there,nothing crazy.Again,it's alot of desert,so not real green.Still a fun ride though.Eureka and Tonopah are kinda old timey mining towns,so that's cool if you're into that.Watch for wildlife.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (05-22-2017)