Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding Lake Superior area. Must see or do's???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Riding Lake Superior area. Must see or do's???

Just learned tonight my wife has her 40th class reunion in Gwinn Mich over the July 4th weekend and we just managed to book a cabin. I've found a pretty good route we can spend a couple of days riding headed each direction from Gwinn/Marquette area. We will only be riding the UP area. Any must see sights, cool restaurants, attractions along Lake Superior. Any and all info much appreciated since this is a short notice trip and probably the only time we will ever make it back up that way. Spending 4-5 days in the area. I don't have a passport so Canada section is out for me.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 06-01-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:58 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

After some searching of the forum I found this link which should about cover all the area we will have time to ride in the UP. This link is an awesome resource!!! https://upcruising.com/ This trip was totally unexpected and man am I excited now!!!

Last edited by tnriverluver; 06-01-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:40 AM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Make sure to try a pastie, the local food of the miners of days gone by.

The following users liked this post:
tnriverluver (06-02-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

H-58 from Munising to Grand Marais is a must ride (IMO, best road in MI). Minor's Castle is just outside the Munising city limit, this will give you a taste of the Pictured Rocks shoreline or you could take the cruise to see it from the water. Farther East in order are...Tahquamenon falls, Soo Locks and Mackinac Bridge. Other nice roads in the Gwinn area are M-35 toward Marquette and County 550 (Big Bay Rd) from Marquette to Lake Independence.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:11 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lude-a-tick
H-58 from Munising to Grand Marais is a must ride (IMO, best road in MI). Minor's Castle is just outside the Munising city limit, this will give you a taste of the Pictured Rocks shoreline or you could take the cruise to see it from the water. Farther East in order are...Tahquamenon falls, Soo Locks and Mackinac Bridge. Other nice roads in the Gwinn area are M-35 toward Marquette and County 550 (Big Bay Rd) from Marquette to Lake Independence.
Thanks!!! Are there any really nice lighthouses to get pictures with the bikes? A friend did part of the area 3 years ago and highly recommended doing this but being 4th of July weekend I expect boat tours will be very long lines. http://riptideride.com/ Since my wife spent her teen years living in Gwinn as an Air Force brat I'm hoping when we get there maybe it will jog her memories of some cool places to visit.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 06-03-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

Whitefish Pointe lighthouse is NW of Tahquamenon falls and Iroquois lighthouse is located about 5 miles west of Brimley.

The following users liked this post:
tnriverluver (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 11:11 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lude-a-tick
Whitefish Pointe lighthouse is NW of Tahquamenon falls and Iroquois lighthouse is located about 5 miles west of Brimley.
Cool! Both look like possible good photo ops and not terribly far from where we are staying in Little Lake just outside if Gwinn. For certain there is no shortage of lighthouses to see in the UP.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 06-04-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

The whole south Superior shore is beautiful. Marquette is very nice, lots of accommodation and a GREAT harley shop ... good people! Houghton, if you are so inclined has one of the best and largest mineral collections anywhere at the university.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:39 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Checking distances from Qwinn it looks like we should be able to go see about all we will want to see this trip. Most of the routes are about 300 mile loops. We are as of now bringing two 70lb house dogs and they will be alone in the cabin while we are out. Need to make sure I can get back to them in 8-9 hours to avoid any "accidents". My one disappointment with having the dogs is I won't be able to stop at the Harley Museum in Milwaukee Neither dog does well when boarded and one dog DOES NOT TRAVEL WELL. Will make for an interesting trip!

Last edited by tnriverluver; 06-04-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:05 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Bayfield is a neat town. The Apostle Islands good. North of Houghton Hancock to the end of US 41. The locks at Sue St Marie are good to see. Macinac Bridge/Island is special. And you must find a place that makes Pasties.

Quick Reply: Riding Lake Superior area. Must see or do's???