Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Vancouver, Dease Lake, Fairbanks ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 04:46 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts
Default Vancouver, Dease Lake, Fairbanks ....

Who's done it and what do you know.....camping, motels, fuel.... etc.

Up via 37, and back on the AlCan.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I never did it but a friend of mine has but with (perhaps) a twist. He took the Canadian ferry through the inland passage up to Alaska and rode back. He learned that there is only one route so you basically backtrack on the return. Mud, rain and unpaved sections are still a challenge but I can't speak to that. All my friend said was that it was a very long route.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by DBlass
I never did it but a friend of mine has but with (perhaps) a twist. He took the Canadian ferry through the inland passage up to Alaska and rode back. He learned that there is only one route so you basically backtrack on the return. Mud, rain and unpaved sections are still a challenge but I can't speak to that. All my friend said was that it was a very long route.
The road info says it's all paved now. There are some pieces of gravel, but they are side roads. It's about 2,500 miles from Vancouver to Fairbanks. I figure 8 days there at a leisurely pace of 300 a day. Animals on the road will be a big thing. There is Gas and Motels all the way up with the longest stretch between fuel about 150 miles, but I have seen almost that in Nevada.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:47 PM
hdmech
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Been up and down 37 twice. Had truck and camper and went as far as Whitehorse. We stayed at three campsites on the way there, Meziadin Lake, Kiniskan Lake and Boya Lake. These were on 37 and stayed at RV site in Whitehorse. Was a bit of gravel at Stikine river bridge, the rest was paved. Ride from Meziadin in to Stewart is really nice and then you can carry on into Hyder, Alaska and get Hyderized. Lots of fun. Beautiful country up there you will like it.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:22 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by hdmech
Been up and down 37 twice. Had truck and camper and went as far as Whitehorse. We stayed at three campsites on the way there, Meziadin Lake, Kiniskan Lake and Boya Lake. These were on 37 and stayed at RV site in Whitehorse. Was a bit of gravel at Stikine river bridge, the rest was paved. Ride from Meziadin in to Stewart is really nice and then you can carry on into Hyder, Alaska and get Hyderized. Lots of fun. Beautiful country up there you will like it.
I was up on 37 close to 40 years ago. Stayed in Dease Lake for about a week. My dad had a gas station/store there for a few years. My brother worked at it and my sister worked for the Department of Highways. On the way back to Terrace, where my other sister lived, we went into Stewart and crossed into Hyder. I bought a bottle of Everclear.

All of the road was dirt at the time, with some of it not much better than a Jeep track. We went up into Cassiar for a short drive. Also into Telegraph Creek.

It would be a nice trip.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,590 Posts

DO a "search" on this site for AK trips and there should be lots of relevant info.

I rode from MI to AK (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Valdez, etc.) in 2000 and I don't think we ever went more than 100 miles without being able to get gas (maybe not premium though).

I "cheated" a bit on the way home and took the ferry from Haines, AK down to Bellingham, WA. My advice would be to "book" a cabin in advance of your trip if you plan on doing this. It's well worth the cost.

Besides making sure that your bike is "road worthy", keep in mind the distance you will be riding and the possibility of buying new tire(s) if yours are not capable of making the round trip.

I'd also suggest the tools you are capable of using, including a tire repair kit, small compressor (if you have room) and a 5'ft piece of siphon hose rolled up with your tools, just in case.

Take what you need but do not take a ton of stuff that you will not need.

I left MI on June 5th and we hit a LOT of rain!
I'd highly recommend a high quality rain suit, gators, and rain covers for your gloves and a full face helmet (or at least a snap on face shield).

At one time while in AK, I had to wear long underwear and my rain suit over my leathers when the temp dropped below 40 degrees!
IF you have heated gear.....take it.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:38 AM
SlowLeadBullets
Tourer
Received 293 Likes on 128 Posts

If you are planning on doing any walking/hiking take bug spray. I find Off! Deep Woods works the best.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:07 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

I rode from LI, NY to Anchorage, AK in July 2012. I crossed into Canada at Osoyoos, BC. I took 97 to Prince George, 16 to 37 to 1 (Alcan) into Tok, AK then down to Anchorage. I followed the same route most of the way home.
I found a room every night. Gas was not a problem. I was riding a 2009 FLHTCU ... 6 gallon tank. The roads were all paved with the exception of construction zones. Overall I had good weather. Any questions, send me a PM and I will try to answer them in detail. Have a great trip, I did & I'd do it again.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

On the way. Left this morning. You can catch up on the "Journeys Of Darla" Thread.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:44 AM
hdmech
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are heading west on Highway 16 to 37 you will be going by my place. I will watch for a blue Ultra, I ride the same.

Quick Reply: Vancouver, Dease Lake, Fairbanks ....