Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

HOG Roadside Assistance, & flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:57 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,106 Likes on 8,922 Posts
Default HOG Roadside Assistance, & flat tires

I got a flat in Bakersfield last week on the freeway. I got the bike off the road and called HOG. Of course, you dont talk to HOG, but their agent who handles the claim. The people on the other end where very professional and handled themselves impeccably..... but the people they called to come get me, where amateurish fools. They had never picked up a bike before, sent one person to load my 1,200 lb decker on a steep ramp, and insisted I sign a waiver before they would load me.

I said NO. So he called his dispatcher, and came back to me and said that if I would not sign a waiver, they would not load it. So I said again, no. So they (they did send a second person after a bit) packed up and abandoned me on a rush hour freeway ....

I called HOG and told them. So they sent me another company. Who had experience and sent two guys from the get go. Between the three of us, we got it loaded and tied down and they took me to the Bakersfield HD deler. But, because they where not the Prime Contact, I was charged a $50 call out.

The second crew was very professional and once we got it unloaded the Bakersfield Harley Dealer had me on the road in less than two hours. They even said they would have come get me, but the guy who fetches bikes for them was on a delivery.

I called the Insurance company back and put in a complaint about the first tow company they sent me.

I have not yet called HOG but fully intend to. Taking into account the first company abandoned me, I do not think I should have had to pay the $50. I also think HOG should direct the Insurance company to not use that company.

The first crew.....

....and the men who got the job done.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Oh ya. Someone in a cage said I crashed and was waving a gun. These guys showed up.

This is what I had in my hand. I have 2 of them.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:43 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Ok, so here is how it all came down..... I waited until I got to Vancouver and had some time, then Called HOG. I told him the entire event, and he was astounded that the first company not only asked me for a waiver, but ditched me on a rush hour freeway. He said he was very sorry and upgraded my HOG membership for an extra year. He also said he would immediately send in a report to Road America and that I would hear from them within 48 hours.

They called me this morning, and I went over the entire event with them. I said that the $50 fee for the second company meant nothing to me, it was that the first company ditched me ... on the freeway .... in rush hour, and I said to him, as I said to HOG, "What if it was not a 50 year rider this happened to, who can hold his own, but a second year rider with little or no experience in matters such as these, or your daughter, or your wife or girlfriend?" Just as the HOG fellow was upset about it, so was he, and found it unacceptable behavior, by someone who was sent to help me.

So, then he asked me if I had a receipt for the $50 for the second company surcharge.... ya right, like I would keep that, eh??.... but then he offered to call the second company and get a receipt, and then forward me the $50, which he called back and said it was on its way.

I then asked him about the upgrades they offer to HOG members for towing, and he went over the three packages $20, $30 and $50.... I upgraded to the $50 one, which includes 2 Harley's, unlimited towing to the closest HD shop (which you know if you follow "Journeys" can be far away) and gas, jump start, key loss, ,etc, plus $1,000 for motels if it takes a few days to get the job done. It also includes car towing for 35 miles, and the lock out, gas, flat tire stuff for three cars.... So I included my buddy's HD, my car, and my daughters car.... I may not ever need it, but it will make my remote runs a bit more carefree, especial if I decide to make the Alaska run.

HOG, Road America, Barret's towing in Bakersfield and Bakersfield HD all handled themselves with utmost professionalism and safety.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 06-09-2017 at 08:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
0.0 (06-10-2017), perki48 (02-25-2018), sr230mike (02-25-2018), t059736 (02-24-2018)
Old 06-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

HOG membership is looking better to me now. I recently found a foot long stick that had lodged itself between the front pulley and the rear drive belt. How in the he?? it landed up there I'll never know, but had it not been a soft piece of wood it definitely would have caused significant damage at least to the belt. Thankfully the belt doesn't appear damaged, but just has some minor wear to the exterior. A tow could have come in handy had I needed it. Hearing someone's interactions with the process has pretty much made up my mind! Thanks.

Last edited by 0.0; 06-10-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 06-10-2017, 12:25 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by 0.0
HOG membership is looking better to me know. I recently found a foot long stick that had lodged itself between the front pulley and the rear drive belt. How in the he?? it landed up there I'll never know, but had it not been a soft piece of wood it definitely would have cause significant damage at least to the belt. Thankfully the belt doesn't appear damaged, but just has some minor wear to the exterior. A tow could have come in handy had I needed it. Hearing someone's interactions with the process has pretty much made up my mind! Thanks.
Ubet.... unless something extraordinary would happen, they got me as a member for as long as I own a Harley.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:12 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I read the Policy on the $50 upgrade. The fellow on the phone at Road America said it would include ANY two motorcycles and 3 cars. The policy says Registered owner must be a full member. That makes more sense to me.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,920 Likes on 2,563 Posts

I have had both experiences with them:

1- Transmission shifter pawl decided to strip right at the Canada/US border, on the wrong side of the border of course, bike is stuck in 5th. We limp her across the border and give them a call, flat bed shows up within 1 hour and takes me to a good spot almost 1.5 hours away, took the wife and I in his truck. Gentlemen did right by us. We had a friend coming north to meet us near Bangor with a trailer. The driver suggested instead of going to dealership, which was closed on Sunday anyway, he would take us to a rest area right on I-95 which would make it easier for our friends to get us. Worked out well and the driver REFUSED a tip. A gentlemen for sure.

2- Coming home from an antique motorcycle meet on Flathead, long story but transmission sprocket stripped the keys, bike was going nowhere with out surgery. I am only 30 miles form home but figure I paid for it I would call them instead of ruining my wife's Sunday afternoon to come get me. Now I am in a very populated area and a fairly major intersection hanging out in a Gas Station. They are having a problem getting a tow that will pick up a bike on Sunday. I must have called them 20 times, on hold for over an hour total and got nothing but the run around. I was telling them empty flatbeds have past me at least 5 times, guy tells me to wave one down!?!?!?!? End of the day it takes them about 5 hours to get me picked up.

The driver the gets me tells me he was called first right after I broke down but they refused to pay his quote. Then they spent the entire day trying to get me someone else. After I was calling and yelling murder at them, they called this guy back and being I am in NY, he doubled his quote. They bit the bullet and paid to get me home. Then when I called on Monday I got all the appropriate apologies and a year or two for free.

Do what you want with my story, I still have them.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:16 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Following

Old 02-17-2018, 01:35 AM
linda2255
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was with my boyfriend on his trail when our front tire got bumped from i dont know what it was, a pinch may be. We used NYC Roadside Assistance Services to tow. It was massive and really a horrible day for me. We literally were about to having a huge crash

Old 02-17-2018, 05:03 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

There could be a wrecker 1/2 mile down the road and they may call one a hundred miles away. Experience varies by the operator of the service.

Have had to use it a couple of times. Worked out fine.

One time late on Sunday and I was 100+ miles from home and nearest dealer.

Dealer stayed late so he could drop off my bike the second time. That dealer (Redstone) gets my thanks and business.

If you have limited cell service they do check a verify your not left without help. Makes you feel good to know they got your back in case the first one does not show.

Quick Reply: HOG Roadside Assistance, & flat tires