Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Canadian Rockies

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Salmo pass
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

If you travel Hwy 3 west go as far west as you can you will not regret it. If go up to Kamloops look at Hwy 5a from Princeton north great rode. See if you can sneak a trip in on Hwy 8 to Spencer's bridge. On Hwy 3 as you go through the trail area take Hwy 3a the Nancy green highway very very quiet even in August. Hwy 6 from Vernon to Nakisup probably the best road in bc. The parks are busy really busy in July August. If you can start you ride on the ice field parkway either going north or south at 0700 you will not regret it. In the jasper area if you can drive up to mt Edith caveli. A awesome drive and for 50 years still my favourite spot in all the Rockies. I will be in the area in July and again mid August will keep an eye open for a Harley with Manitoba plates.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Keep your eyes peeled coming into Radium Hot Springs. You may see bighorns along the road. My son and his family live there and regularly have them on their lawn.

The ride thru Kootenay Park from Radium is a great trip (Hwy 93). Some good mom and pop motels in Radium as well.
On Hwy 1 coming into BC from Alberta there are a couple of nice stops. Takakkaw Falls in Yoho Park is pretty cool especially if there is a lot of water coming over the lip. The spiral tunnels are visible from a turnout on hiway 1. Kinda cool to see the front of a train coming out of a tunnel going one way and the *** end going in another way.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Cranbrook, Golden, Revelstoke is a nice ride. Rocky Mountain Trench is a nice wide open valley, and the Rogers Pass is a nice route. It's about 5 hours.

But a much nicer route is Cranbrook, Creston, Kootenay Lake road, the Balfour ferry, Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp, Gallena Bay ferry, Revelstoke. Plan on a day. Probably the best Motorcycle Road in BC, if not anywhere.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Take the coach on to the Ice Fields. Been there twice. If you can't go to Alaska, do the Ice Fields.

Weather was ok for me, but maybe not for what some of you guys ride. Not below freezing. Took Transcanada 1. Lots of the route across lower elevations which are hot.

Pulled over in SK to put sweatshirt on. No people out. Bugs attacked. Were worse than AK. Though might have been the spring hatch.

Banff is international town, Jasper smaller geared towards climbers. Spend a night or so in each.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-12-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:29 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Made it up that way middle of August in 2013 from Glacier to Banff via 93,3 and 22. Steady soaking rain and low 50's on 22 north we lucked out and found a motel in Longview, next day was cold and wet and we rode into Banff. Our goal was to ride as far as Jasper then head south for Idaho. But the next day they were talking about snow showers so we ended up on a tour bus for the day. Columbia Ice Field is definitely worth it and the skywalk was cool too. We left Banff and rode south on 93 which was a great day finally some sun. It is definitely on my list to get back to that area again, Lodging in Banff was hard to find and pricey next time I might stay in Canmore then on to Jasper. Have a great trip it is an amazing area

Old 06-12-2017, 10:15 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jdw1
Headed to the Canadian Rockies last week in July/first week in August, looking for do's and don'ts.
The plan is to head to Winnipeg from Mn then head west to Medicine Hat then 3 west to Cranbrook, then north to Golden, Revelstoke, Kamloops then north to Jasper and south to Banff and then back to Mn.
We plan on the Columbia ice fields and a ski lift north of Lake Louise. Any advice would be appreciated! Just the wife and I on two bikes.

Thanks for the input!
JD, Here is a map of the route I suggested as an alternative to Cranbrook, Golden, Revelstoke. It also has the Mt Revelstoke road in it.

No disappointments here, and there is not a boring mile in the entire ride.

If you decide to ride the route, when you are on the road between Kaslo and New Denver, you will see a big white cross. I lost a good buddy of mine there last year on his bike.... name of Dan Stone, probably the nicest man I ever met in my life. If you stop, Tell him Rocky says hi....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mF...Hc&usp=sharing

...is that opening up my Alaska Route plan? It is on my phone.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 06-12-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:24 PM
doo925
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Cranbrook, Golden, Revelstoke is a nice ride. Rocky Mountain Trench is a nice wide open valley, and the Rogers Pass is a nice route. It's about 5 hours.

But a much nicer route is Cranbrook, Creston, Kootenay Lake road, the Balfour ferry, Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp, Gallena Bay ferry, Revelstoke. Plan on a day. Probably the best Motorcycle Road in BC, if not anywhere.
This !! Have done this route on bike and sports car (Nissan GT-R) and found it to be one of the best drives in BC. If you get the chance, hit the hot spring pools at Halceon Hot Springs just south of the Gallena Bay ferry.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Wow, Lots of info (experience) here, that's what I'm looking for! That's great, I'm still open for more suggestions, we will only be gone 12 days and I fugue 5 days just getting to and from the area.

Thanks again all!

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
JD, Here is a map of the route I suggested as an alternative to Cranbrook, Golden, Revelstoke. It also has the Mt Revelstoke road in it.

No disappointments here, and there is not a boring mile in the entire ride.

If you decide to ride the route, when you are on the road between Kaslo and New Denver, you will see a big white cross. I lost a good buddy of mine there last year on his bike.... name of Dan Stone, probably the nicest man I ever met in my life. If you stop, Tell him Rocky says hi....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mF...Hc&usp=sharing

...is that opening up my Alaska Route plan? It is on my phone.
CR2, it only opened up the route from Cranbrook down and around and up to cross the two lakes on the ferrys and up to Revy. I was supposed to take that route back in '14 up to Revy to go snowmobiling, never made it, one of the riders I was with got injured down in Idaho and we never made it!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-12-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jdw1
CR2, it only opened up the route from Cranbrook down and around and up to cross the two lakes on the ferrys and up to Revy. I was supposed to take that route back in '14 up to Revy to go snowmobiling, never made it, one of the riders I was with got injured down in Idaho and we never made it!
Ok, that is the route I mapped out. Figure on a whole day for that ride. The Ferries are free. As a matter of fact, all Fresh water Ferrys in BC are gratis. Salt water boats cost $$.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:41 AM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,601 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_a..._Historic_Site

Out of Jasper, take Hwy 93 a, which follows the main highway, but gives you a more relaxed ride. Plus, if you like twisty roads, head up to Mt Edith Cavell....

Quick Reply: Canadian Rockies