Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Us 129 the dragon

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Andrewwayne
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Us 129 the dragon

I rode the dragon and the skyway this weeked for a day trip roughly 350 miles round trip. I had heard people talk about how fun the dragon is, well my thoughts on it was its insane getting ran up on by sport bikes people everywhere every pull off was full. Glad i did it just to say i did, but i think the skyway is a much nicer ride, some truly awsome views.

The following users liked this post:
leadman (06-13-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I did it to say I did it. That roads belongs to people who can ride it, and not those clogging it up. Not saying I am anything special.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

yeah... the "trick" is to avoid the week ends....

Not just sport bikes, baggers, cruisers, sports, tourers.... something happens when folks get on these roads, and they think they are (insert favorite racer's name here).
It's a public highway... and there are posted speed limits... but on the week end, suddenly it's motoGP.

Of course, then LEO cracks down.. and everyone complains.

Cars, pickups, as well as motorcycles use that road.. and (again) it's a PUBLIC road...folks need to remember that.. and if they believe they ha
ve the chops.... I'd suggest they join an actual road racing series, and race on a track... then see if they are all that.

Goes for the BRP as well.... sure you CAN ride it at 80 MPH... but it won't be whatever you crash into's fault....

option1 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:15 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,340 Likes on 3,276 Posts

People of all sorts ride the road, first timers, squids, racers, cruisers and it's normal for some to get pissed off because the rider ahead is only going 10 mph over the limit and pushing the limits of his or her abilities.
I try to ride my ride as best I can and if I have a place I can safely let others by without putting myself in danger I do.
With all that said, I don't rude it on weekends anymore and usually pick much better roads around.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:16 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Ride the Cherohala. It's better than the Dragon.

leadman (06-13-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:22 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
Ride the Cherohala. It's better than the Dragon.
i second that. The Cherohola is my favorite ride in those parts.

leadman (06-13-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:46 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I rode it back in 2014. I did a lot of research on it to avoid the sport bikes as much as possible. Wednesday before noon was the best time to ride it. There were a hand full of sport bikes and cruisers there but mostly it was pretty quiet.
Also we rode it the first week in May. Saying that it was just OK. I enjoyed the moonshiner, Cherhola and Blue ridge Pkwy much better. I doubt I would ride it again unless I was with someone who hasn't. Glad to say I rode it though.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:53 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,601 Likes on 5,170 Posts

We have been there often. The area is great to ride. Timing is a big thing on the Dragon.
The jerks out there trying to prove something is a pain. If they rode that good they would be getting paid for it, but they can't so they have to show of on a public road.
The tree of shame adds more and more.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UdsrWJ]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UdstXY]

Old 06-12-2017, 06:59 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

i did it 20 something years ago. Springtime?? Got behind a tractor trailer one run thru, dragging butt....literally.... back of trailer steel to pavement. He let us by. We stayed at the hotel and ran through several times on a weekday meeting very few cars. I hit a quarter sized rock that made me wobble pretty good and said nah...put put, no more zoom zoom.

meanwhile in 2017.....

Old 06-12-2017, 08:37 AM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I've ridden the dragon a few times. First time was fun for the experience. After that it just becomes irritating with the constant shifting. I agree much more fun roads in the area to ride. If I go down anymore I ride for one of two reasons. Either to get the cherohala or because I want a new photo for the house.

Quick Reply: Us 129 the dragon