Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Starting cross country trip into bad weather...should I wait?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 PM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by maKINGwaffles
Since Father's day is Sunday and my mom's bday is Monday, I've decided to wait since I'm not on a race. Probably should be here for those anyways.
If you have good rain gear you do not get wet. Sounds like you may not be prepared to go across country.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:32 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by ngshop
If you have good rain gear you do not get wet.
+1. You always need to be prepared to suit-up. My rain gear is always in my top bag and easy to get at. And I bought expensive water proof jacket, pants and overboots. Actually, the thing I miss the most about my Adventure Tour days is my Klim Badlands jacket and pants. But it is too much gear to pack for how seldom I see wet when I ride.

If it looks to be wet for a while I put my rain gear over my electrics and fold the leather away. Don't need it, and it is much more comfortable. I also have waterproof gloves. I pull my scarf up over my nose, put my clear safety glasses and away I go.

Rain is part of riding. It only stopped me once last year, and even the cages ran for cover.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:13 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,923 Likes on 2,565 Posts

+2 on good rain gear!! With the right gear you can ride through almost anything. As long as you stay dry and warm, the weather is just part of the story. Good thing about leaving home in the rain is you know to put the rain gear on right away rather then taking a chance and maybe getting caught and wet. Plus it is easier to put it all on in your kitchen then on the side of the interstate!!

In honor of Father's Day I shall quote my late Father:

"Chance of rain 50% or less, We Ride!!!"

Good luck, have fun, make memories.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:14 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Hitting weather is half the fun, then you can look back and laugh about how you got cold and wet, or were to cheap to buy proper rain gear...like me!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:00 AM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually spent a decent bit on riding rain gear so hopefully it holds up in the rain. I always wear a full face helmet, bought a bright yellow rain suit from Amazon that's made for riders, and also wear Timberland waterproof hiking boots.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,923 Likes on 2,565 Posts

I actually spent a decent bit on riding rain gear so hopefully it holds up in the rain. I always wear a full face helmet, bought a bright yellow rain suit from Amazon that's made for riders, and also wear Timberland waterproof hiking boots.
Waterproof boots will fail, just a fact. Buy Gators or some other boot cover. Does not have to be fancy or expensive but it will save your feet. Wet boots will not dry out overnight and then you have wet feet two days in a row. Trust me on this one, find some over boot covers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Architect:
Campy Roadie (06-24-2017), Spy11 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Then your good to go. Watch out for freshly painted lines, tar snakes and if you have it, don't use Cruise Control when it is wet.

But here is some Old Guy advice.

1. When it is dry, 50% of the people cannot see you and will kill you, the 50% that can see you will kill you anyway. In the rain, 100% can't see you ......

2. Cars comin towards you with left hand signals on WILL turn left in front of you, with no signals on WILL turn left in front of you .... and with right hand signals on WILL turn left in front of you.

3. (And the best one) when you are approaching an intersection and a car is there, LOOK AT THE WHEELS!, if the wheels are stopped, they MIGHT be coming, if the wheels are rotating THEY ARE COMING! Never EVER approach an intersection without your front and rear brake, and clutch, covered.

Use it, don't use it, your an adult. But those three principles have kept me riding for almost 50 years. YMMV.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Good tips CR2. No harm in waiting if you got the time. Enjoy your trip.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:29 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Even if you wait for the rain to pass before starting your chances of riding thru rain somewhere during the trip are probably pretty good. But starting out in rain with a 4 week schedule?...I'd wait it out and start out in good weather. Riding in rain when there's no option sucks enough... but Riding in rain by choice is just make poor choices.
Dragon should be experienced in good weather anyway.

Last edited by duoglider; 06-15-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by ngshop
Put your rain suit on and ride. S.C. to the dragon is not even a day ride. Get-r-done.
But will it be raining when he rides the Dragon?

Often you can drive through. Often I say go. But if I had weeks, and a loose schedule, I may not. Normally I only have a week or so off, and usually a few days of that is travel to wear I really want to be.

I just drove my truck through some wicked weather, that had me slowed down, lots of cars pulled over on interstate. So it depends, just rain, or storms?

I have ridden through plenty of awful weather, but if I could avoid it I would. Interstates are not bad, but if you are scared of interstates and riding country roads, you have to watch out for down trees.

Quick Reply: Starting cross country trip into bad weather...should I wait?