Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Starting cross country trip into bad weather...should I wait?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:06 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by maKINGwaffles
I am supposed to start a cross country trip from SC to Seattle Friday, but the weather is supposed to be horrible in SC until Monday, Tail of the Dragon (1st night stop) until Tuesday and then it's supposed to rain in Nashville (Sat-Tues nights) until Monday also. I'd normally say "I'm young stupid and am going ahead," but may wait. First off, I have 4 wks to get to Seattle. Shaving that 3 days off the start wouldn't be detrimental. Secondly, I plan to camp most nights. I don't want my gear to get wet first night and start the trip on a bad note. I understand it's inevitable for me to have to drive through some storms along the way, but if I can drive around them I sure will try. My biggest issue is with these scattered thunderstorm it's almost always around 50% chance to rain so do you wait or just drive through an hr here and there and stop when you find shelter. What would you do if you were in my situation?

leave the house if it's not raining. 50% chance it won't rain at all. With scattered storms you just ride them out or pull over. When I rode from NC to Los Angeles I hit quite a few scattered storms when it wasn't suppose to rain, and sunshine when it was. Part of it. Take a rain suit and have fun.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Showers and rain are one thing, thunderstorms and hail something else completely. Properly geared up don't sweat the light rain. Do not ride in storms, you are miserable, you can't see and noone can see you. On the highway the rigs will make it even worse for you. Safety first.

Don't be too tied to a pre-determined route. The end destination is weeks away and you have lots of time. If it is going to be bad west, go north or south if the forecast is better. Part of the journey and the joy of riding alone (or with just one other) is you can change plans at the (rain) drop of a hat (helmet). Enjoy the freedom. If it's going to be a bit wet where you want to go grit your teeth. I'll ride rather than sit if I can. If it's going to storm everywhere stay put for a day. I've forced my way through big whole-day storms and regretted it. You'll spend the whole night trying to dry out your gear. Most of all have fun!

Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If riding in inclement weather my opinion is then don't do it. If it doesn't bother you (and you understand it's one of the vagaries of motorcycling) then I say go for it.

About the only thing that holds me up is if a tornado is in the immediate area. Other then that I ride and recommend riding.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ride all the time in the rain on our trips. With good rain gear, waterproof boots and a full face helmet it is not much of a problem. With the old half helmets it was more challenging. I actually have a Shark modular helmet that can be ridden open or closed.

One thing though, I don't camp out on a motorcycle. Years ago I read an article about touring on a motorcycle and the writer said, it can be hot, cold, wet or dry, if at the end of the days you know you will be in a heated, air conditioned dry room you can put up with just about anything! TRUTH!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 2,559 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Ride all the time in the rain on our trips. With good rain gear, waterproof boots and a full face helmet it is not much of a problem. With the old half helmets it was more challenging. I actually have a Shark modular helmet that can be ridden open or closed.

One thing though, I don't camp out on a motorcycle. Years ago I read an article about touring on a motorcycle and the writer said, it can be hot, cold, wet or dry, if at the end of the days you know you will be in a heated, air conditioned dry room you can put up with just about anything! TRUTH!
And if Momma is riding on the back of the bike with you, X2 on all of the above. My wife sticks with me in the worst of weather, but if there was only a tent at the end of the day, I think we would be stopping in some of the bad stuff. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,103 Likes on 8,920 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55

And the older you get, the more that TRUTH is true. .... I did about 9 hours doing the jump from Dease Lake to Whitehorse today. 7 hours of that was in the rain. And on a Sealcoat surface for several hours. I am beat, and my skidder Motel in Whitehorse seems like a palace....

Old 06-24-2017, 12:08 AM
ElliotDenson
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way of knowing whether you'll have weather problems until a few days beforehand. I wouldn't plan a longer route unless you wait until the last minute and base it on the forecast. No matter how far south you go, you could encounter bad weather at that time of year over the High Plains and the Rockies. On the more northern route, the potential for bad weather extends out further eastward onto the plains, but the chances are you'll be OK.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Can't run from the weather forever. Learn to ride in rain before you take "crash" course.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:24 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,103 Likes on 8,920 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Can't run from the weather forever. Learn to ride in rain before you take "crash" course.
+1 .... so, did you go? Picts please.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:30 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,270 Likes on 11,143 Posts

This time of year on that route.,,you're going to get some weather. Rain, hail, tornadoes, thunder storms, pestilence. So, either you are ready for it, or you are not.

Quick Reply: Starting cross country trip into bad weather...should I wait?