Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Entering Canada with Reckless Driving Conviction?

Old 06-21-2017, 04:24 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Entering Canada with Reckless Driving Conviction?

My buddies and I are starting to plan an August ride. Two of the proposed routes have us crossing into Canada and riding there for a few days.

One of my buddies has a relatively recent (within 2 years) reckless driving conviction. This is unrelated to alcohol. (Many times DWIs are plead down to reckless. That is not the case here.) By way of background (and as a caution to any of you who may ride through our fair Commonwealth) by statute traveling over the speed of 80 mph is reckless driving in Virginia regardless of the speed limit. So even if you are in a 70 mph zone, 10 over gets you reckless. Outrageous, but that's the law. Reckless driving is a criminal misdemeanor charge, with a mandatory court appearance, high fines and possible jail time. It is not a traffic offense where you can just pay a fine to get rid of it.

I know that the Canadian authorities will turn you away at the border with a DWI conviction and have seen some websites that suggest that they can do the same for a reckless driving conviction, equating it with Canada's "careless driving" law.

Does anyone have any knowledge, first hand or otherwise, about how the Canadian border guards handle such a record? We're trying to decide if it's worth the risk or if we should just plan a route that stays in the states.

The following users liked this post:
Mr.Biker (08-10-2023)
Old 06-21-2017, 04:29 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,872 Likes on 17,361 Posts
Old 06-21-2017, 04:35 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

To anyone that doesn't believe me, and as a Public Service Announcement for those traveling through Virginia, here is the Virginia statute:
§ 46.2-862 Exceeding speed limit
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

§ 46.2-868. Reckless driving; penalties.
A. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

§ 18.2-11 Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor
The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:
(a.) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $ 2,500, either or both.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:38 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Yeah, I had seen that. But I saw other sites that said that some border guards with equate "reckless" with "careless driving" which is apparently a felony in Canada and turn you away. Some of those sites seem to be advertisements for Canadian lawyers who can help to get you admitted. But I'm not sure if you actually need help or not. That's why I'm hoping someone has actual experience with this.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,737 Likes on 18,543 Posts

If they are "selectively" enforcing, the parameters aren't really important. I might just avoid the hassle. I have been rousted several times over the years entering and exiting Canada. Back in 1979 at the Peace Bridge I had all the bells, horns and whistles sounding loudly as two "hero" attendants became rude and I wouldn't stand for it. Suffice it to say I was detained and inspected if you get my drift. I still go periodically but my advancing years makes me more tolerable of their "holier than thou" demeanor.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:26 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Sice you are from Northern Virginia, why don't you stop by the Canadian Embassy and get a visa.....that way you know if he can get in or not......

son of the hounds (08-10-2023)
Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Your buddy needs to read up on the Canadian racket of "rehabilitation". It's basically where the Canadian government says, "We don't want criminals in Canada. . . Unless you give us money". 😂

Here

The following 3 users liked this post by From_Behind:
M Oclaf (08-10-2023), smitty901 (06-22-2017), TKDKurt (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:25 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Thanks, guys. The "selective enforcement" was what I was worried about. I think it's probably better if we just pick a US route.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:27 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,886 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Crap shoot for sure, it will all depend on the Border officer and his/her mood. Been up there a bunch of times, never stopped but have been detained. Other times, welcome to Canada Eh and away we go. Went up with a buddy with a very sketchy childhood well documented with arrests, he got in faster then me.

If everyone is cool about it, I would give it a **** but have Plan B ready to go. Good luck.

TKDKurt (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 08:45 AM
ChromeSporty
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

And it's a lot worse trying to enter the US as a Canadian. Guys....They are slowly taking our freedom away on both sides of the boarder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Entering Canada with Reckless Driving Conviction?