Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

11 Rides to Do Before You Die

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts
Default 11 Rides to Do Before You Die

11 Rides to Do Before You Die
By Bryan Wood

The following users liked this post:
Billman812 (06-22-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Altered2011
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 rides to do before you die, Ride 10.

Just got back from the Born Free Motorcycle show is Silverado, CA and then took the PCH ride up the coast with three friends, we cut across to the Sequoia National Forest then back across to come back down PCH to Long Beach before heading back to Texas.

Attached Thumbnails 11 Rides to Do Before You Die-img_2228.jpg  
Old 07-06-2017, 02:54 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Lame, I'd put money of the fact that the CCE does not ride and that any serious rider on this forum could come up with 10 better rides. He hit a few, but it smells of internet search, not riding experience. It is just for the money for the article.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Altered2011
3rd Gear

Possibly, I could think of at least ten rides that are better than most on the list.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

6 of them are events...not rides so much. Lame list.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm mostly OK with this list. The DGR at the end seemed kind of out there, but otherwise, here's what we have:

The three big rallies: Daytona, Sturgis, and Laconia. Maybe not the best rides, per se, but certainly bucket list worthy, and if you're going to go, you ought to ride.

Coast to Coast and Border to Border. Again, these are on my bucket list. (Well, the Coast to Coast has a check mark by it, but still . . ..)

PCH -- Also on the bucket list. Was supposed to happen this summer with my daughter, but her available days have kind of disappeared.

Alaska -- It's the only state I CAN ride to that I haven't. Definitely want to git r done.

Local Parade -- Did this for the first time a month ago. If you haven't done this, give it some serious consideration. Yes, it can be hot and miserable and even kinda hard on your bike, but it's one of the most fun things I've done on my bike. The kids love it. They all want to give you a high five and tell you how cool your bike is. Definitely brings a smile.

Rolling Thunder -- Although I respect those who do this ride, because of other family traditions it's never been on my "list". Maybe it should be. It seems like an awesome way to celebrate and honor those who have fought for our freedoms.

Monument Valley -- Yes I live in Utah. No I haven't been here on my motorcycle. Yes, I am ashamed. This ride needs to happen, and soon!

Are any of the above on my list of favorite roads? No. But he doesn't claim these are the "best" 11 roads. Just 11 rides you really ought to do before you die. Other than the fact that I'm pretty sure somebody is pimping for the DGR, I'd say the list is pretty legit.

The following users liked this post:
wiltat2 (11-25-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Altered2011
3rd Gear

One ride that may not be on anybody's list but is a nice ride is leaving Phoenix on 60 headed east through the National Grass Lands towards Show Low and Socorro.
Being from the tail end of Texas just about any mountain road with rivers and valleys is worth the ride, our closest scenic ride is the Hill Country with the Three Sisters (lately they have started calling it the Twisted Sisters) being the most popular.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:42 PM
SFDonovan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Altered2011
Being from the tail end of Texas just about any mountain road with rivers and valleys is worth the ride, our closest scenic ride is the Hill Country with the Three Sisters (lately they have started calling it the Twisted Sisters) being the most popular.
I'm thinking of doing the sisters next weekend. I need saddle time before my 5,000 mile trek to Oregon and back starting on July 20th.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 AM
H20loo
Tourer
Received 264 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Altered2011
One ride that may not be on anybody's list but is a nice ride is leaving Phoenix on 60 headed east through the National Grass Lands towards Show Low and Socorro.
Globe to Show Low and across and south through Sedona and a meal at San Tan Flats. My favourites.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:38 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

Chief Joseph Hwy is not mentioned either

Quick Reply: 11 Rides to Do Before You Die