Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Michigan UP/Lake Superior AAR. Will be pic/video heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 05:03 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Oh yeah, quite a few really nice cars running around enjoying the salt/snow free roads while they can! Only one I got a picture of since he pulled in next to me at the gas station in Little Lake. Saw several nice Mopars, 57 Chevy's etc out on the roads. This one is a local and this car was driving around all day and night.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:37 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

We made it about halfway out on the rocks to the light before realizing maybe not the best idea at our age lol

Old 07-22-2017, 04:40 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

I have ten of these ready to go into the oven. First is test run. BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAD IN THE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2017, 07:52 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
I have ten of these ready to go into the oven. First is test run. BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAD IN THE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are the crusts "homemade, or store bought? The reason I'm asking is my wife makes good homemade pasties, but she hates "all the work" more so the crust. If I can figure out a simpler way, she may make them more then once a year. They do freeze and microwave well.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:41 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
Are the crusts "homemade, or store bought? The reason I'm asking is my wife makes good homemade pasties, but she hates "all the work" more so the crust. If I can figure out a simpler way, she may make them more then once a year. They do freeze and microwave well.
All homemade except the crust. Pushed for time with company coming over and making 10 and very little counter space in our home. Opted for Pillsbury ready made crust in the refrigerated section and they tasted just like the real thing. More expensive that way but much easier!!!! Cooked 15 minutes at 400 and then 350 for another 45 minutes. 1/4 ground pork, 3/4 ground beef, rutabaga (first time even seeing one lol) potatoes, onion, some carrot, a little beef broth, a pat of butter inside. salt and pepper. They were a huge hit with the family and especially my British son-in-law.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-23-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:32 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
All homemade except the crust. Pushed for time with company coming over and making 10 and very little counter space in our home. Opted for Pillsbury ready made crust in the refrigerated section and they tasted just like the real thing. More expensive that way but much easier!!!! Cooked 15 minutes at 400 and then 350 for another 45 minutes. 1/4 ground pork, 3/4 ground beef, rutabaga (first time even seeing one lol) potatoes, onion, some carrot, a little beef broth, a pat of butter inside. salt and pepper. They were a huge hit with the family and especially my British son-in-law.
Rutabaga is the most important flavor in a pastie. Try 1 can of brown gravy in leu of the beef broth and some small diced mushroom pieces. Thanks for the heads up on the crust.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
Rutabaga is the most important flavor in a pastie. Try 1 can of brown gravy in leu of the beef broth and some small diced mushroom pieces. Thanks for the heads up on the crust.
I bought a jar of Heinz brown beef gravy to try with these since even being a ketchup lover I prefer pasty without. Really good with the gravy however!!!!
Heinz gravy wasn't bad either for store bought. My daughter came back by and got the two we had leftover so I guess they enjoyed them. 30 mile trip just to pick them up lol. I have enough ingredients to make a few more to freeze tomorrow after I pick up a few more crust.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-24-2017 at 10:09 PM.