Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

North East Toll Roads and Bridges

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts
Default North East Toll Roads and Bridges

I'm leaving Monday (8/28) on a trip to ride all 48 states and DC. I'm wondering about the toll roads and toll bridges that are prevalent in the North East. Last time I was out there, there were toll booths. Is it still that way or do they now just take a picture of your license plate and then send you a bill? If toll booths, do I need to carry a lot of bills or do they require coins? Most of my ride from Connecticut to DC will be on I95. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
I'm leaving Monday (8/28) on a trip to ride all 48 states and DC. I'm wondering about the toll roads and toll bridges that are prevalent in the North East. Last time I was out there, there were toll booths. Is it still that way or do they now just take a picture of your license plate and then send you a bill? If toll booths, do I need to carry a lot of bills or do they require coins? Most of my ride from Connecticut to DC will be on I95. Thanks.
Toll booths where you can choose Full Service or EZ Pass. There are humans in the full service lanes, and you can get change. Once in awhile you'll see an exit marked EZ Pass Tagholders Only, but they're generally not exits to major roads. I have EZ Pass on my car, but not on the bike. I don't run toll roads too often on the bike, but never had a problem ----- except the 1 time I thought I was gonna dump it while coming to a stop at a toll booth. Be careful of the middle of the lane where all the oil & grease is! By the way, my sympathies for being on 95 for that long! I wish you well.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
By the way, my sympathies for being on 95 for that long! I wish you well.

.....I hate I-95! Always packed and none of the cagers pay attention to what they do. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (08-25-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Nails-RI
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a little extra time and avoid 95...much more enjoyable! I have an app on my iPhone called "Scenic" where you can enter a destination and avoid"tolls" highways etc and it automatically routes you based on your preferences (ranging from "curvy" to "quick". The app doesn't work on Android phones, but if you have an iPhone its a great app and for $10 it speaks to you with upcoming turns...very cool!!

Old 08-23-2017, 10:24 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

I-95 is a scary place to ride. I live along the corridor, here in Maine, and I wouldn't ride it for any reason. But that's just me.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:12 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Nails-RI
Take a little extra time and avoid 95...much more enjoyable! I have an app on my iPhone called "Scenic" where you can enter a destination and avoid"tolls" highways etc and it automatically routes you based on your preferences (ranging from "curvy" to "quick". The app doesn't work on Android phones, but if you have an iPhone its a great app and for $10 it speaks to you with upcoming turns...very cool!!
I've only got 16 days to complete the trip which means I have to average over 550 miles a day so I'm trying to take the fastest route although I hate the interstates. I know 550 a day isn't a huge amount but this 71 year old body needs it's rest. I am taking a detour from the shortest route to ride the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The part of the trip I'm most worried about is the Northeast and everyone here is confirming what I was thinking. I'm just going to have to be really alert. I'm hoping to make it from Southern Maine to Virginia in one day so I won't have to "suffer" for too long.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:37 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Good Luck!!!!! I personally can,t see you doing this in 16 days. Post up when complete, I,d be interested in knowing how you made out. The I95 we all talk about here is not fun on a bike--depending on the time of day you're on it , you may sit in traffic,thus not really making any time up---just trying to help you avoid the nonsense of taking this route[I even avoid it in my truck when possible].
Rocker

Old 08-24-2017, 05:53 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,923 Likes on 2,565 Posts

EZPass is the way to go, they are in the process of eliminating all of the Toll Booths. Not sure if you will run into one of the NEW electronic only tolls. If you can figure out a way to get one, I would do it. It saves a bunch of time waiting to pay (you are in a rush, remember), and your toll is at a reduced cost. Win/Win. Also can be used in other states, I used mine in Illinois years ago riding to Sturgis. The will send you one for a motorcycle so you pay that fee, not the cage fee. I think some of the Rest Areas sell them, but I would research that in advance. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:02 AM
yooperbigdog
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
I've only got 16 days to complete the trip which means I have to average over 550 miles a day so I'm trying to take the fastest route although I hate the interstates. I know 550 a day isn't a huge amount but this 71 year old body needs it's rest. I am taking a detour from the shortest route to ride the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The part of the trip I'm most worried about is the Northeast and everyone here is confirming what I was thinking. I'm just going to have to be really alert. I'm hoping to make it from Southern Maine to Virginia in one day so I won't have to "suffer" for too long.
WOW 71 and making this ride you Sir are a BAD Man, I wish you well and a safe trip-wish you could post daily (I'd read the journey)

The following users liked this post:
FXDXTSport (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 06:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

When I rode up to Canada, the only place I had a bill in the mail was from the bridge in Boston, if I was you I would take the Garden state pkwy around NYC through the Tappan Zee then the by pass around Boston...

Quick Reply: North East Toll Roads and Bridges