Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

BACK OF THE DRAGON, MARION Va.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:35 AM
bassnman
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default BACK OF THE DRAGON, MARION Va.

My club members (SCRC #173 No. Jersey) & I did this trip 2 yrs in a row we stayed in Marion the 1st trip, stayed in Wytheville the 2nd trip, we rode 421, 16, numerous other roads in the area.
We only had 2 days of riding, even though it rained, the roads & area are Bar-none!! good hotels, nice people, good food!!
This month we're headed to W. Va., a 5 day trip, rides are all plotted on Base Camp & ready to roll, staying in Buckahannon W.Va.
I'll post a report when w get back...

Old 09-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Stayed in wyethville on Saturday night then Sunday we rode the back of the dragon then the snake and the diamond back up to little Switzerland then a little bit of the parkway and on down to a cabin we rented in Robinsville NC. There are some great roads down that way, while the tail of the dragon is nice and gets all the attention some of the others are just awesome. The Cherohola is a great road with amazing scenery. Will definitely be back again.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:29 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

we head that way from Raleigh (SCRC#70) a couple of times each yeah...
next time you go.... here's a few roads to check out
http://visitwytheville.com/motorcycle-trails.html

Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 PM
bassnman
Cruiser

skootch
wytheville is a nice town, we stayed there last yr, we did ride many roads, I'll ck it out, thanx for the info..
as you can see in my avatar we are @ the Back of Dragon store in Tazewell, we did a group photo of our SCRC Chapter...

Old 09-06-2017, 09:00 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

While you are in the area take a ride thru Burke's Garden. Not a technical ride but beautiful scenery. Very enjoyable.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:01 AM
bassnman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 5wheels
While you are in the area take a ride thru Burke's Garden. Not a technical ride but beautiful scenery. Very enjoyable.
we'll look into it

Old 09-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,886 Likes on 2,546 Posts

We did the Back of the Dragon about 3 years ago. I agree great road and much longer then the Tail, BUT I felt it was poorly maintained. Almost every turn had a pile of gravel right in the line you would want to ride. Still a good time, but the Tail is very well maintained by the locals and it shows. Maybe things have changed but that was our experience.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:05 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

My cousins (they're from TN) and I do a run together once a year and this may be the meeting lace next year.
Was going to be this year but we switched to SC (big mistake--lots of rain).

Also mentioned it as a possibility to the wife for "our" trip together this year but we opted for the Canaan Valley (WV) Resort and then on to the the BRP (again) and then visited her folks in SC.

I don't know how strictly the speed limit is enforced on the two lane backroads in VA, but the freeways are NOT a good place to be excessively speeding so be aware.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 AM
KR57
Road Master
Received 1,592 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by bassnman
My club members (SCRC #173 No. Jersey) & I did this trip 2 yrs in a row we stayed in Marion the 1st trip, stayed in Wytheville the 2nd trip, we rode 421, 16, numerous other roads in the area.
We only had 2 days of riding, even though it rained, the roads & area are Bar-none!! good hotels, nice people, good food!!
This month we're headed to W. Va., a 5 day trip, rides are all plotted on Base Camp & ready to roll, staying in Buckahannon W.Va.
I'll post a report when w get back...
Was there last month. Excellent riding in W. Virginia! Spent two days riding in the Monongahela National Forest. Great roads with very little traffic.
One will definitely learn to use gearing there! If you don't downshift down the hills you will burn your brakes out by the end of the day. No lugging the motor up hill either.
Spent most of the time between 3000 - 4000 rpm up and down the hills!

Also rode The Back of The Dragon on the way to WV, in the rain though.

Here's a very common sign in WV

Beautiful country!!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 AM
KR57
Road Master
Received 1,592 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
......I don't know how strictly the speed limit is enforced on the two lane backroads in VA, but the freeways are NOT a good place to be excessively speeding so be aware.
Totally avoided interstate's for six days through Tn, Ky, Va, WV.
I don't recall seeing much for speed traps or anyone pulled over.

All the 2 lane roads in WV were posted 55mph, usually followed with a slow curve sign (10~40mph). Sometimes the signs were next to each other!
Just trying to keep up with some of the local drivers in their cages could be a challenge. Dump trucks included!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BACK OF THE DRAGON, MARION Va.