Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Half Helmet and rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:20 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

At some point in my mid life i was forced to get eye glasses,i quickly found out that half helmets-eye glasses and rain just don't mix.I made the decision to buy a 3/4 helmet with a full face shield.Although i don't really care for the bigger helmet it is a blessing in heavy rain.when i travel i bring the 3/4 with me,If i get caught in the rain around town i just make do and get home.I tried a pair of goggles over the glasses years ago and in the first heavy rain they filled up with water.They had vents on the top that allowed the water in fairly quickly.Had to pull over about every 5 miles and empty them out.We all got a good laugh out of that.So if you go the goggle route make sure there the proper ones.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I wear a half helmet without the drop down shield. I generally wear sunglasses or clear glasses. No matter what you wear eventually visibility becomes a problem.

I have used the glasses with the foam and found they fogged up on me, I did not care for them.

I might give that bandana idea a try though. last rain we rode in kind of stung the face a bit!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 PM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I found any glasses with the foam will fill with water fast.

In rain I wear clear glasses without the foam. I have the drop down shield but it's tinted and while it helps during the day....it ain't any good at night!

Still searching for something better....

Old 09-07-2017, 12:32 PM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

I haven't used my full face in over two years.
I picked up one of those beanie style hats with the pull down face shield (open around the eyes).
On my yearly pilgrimage to see the grand kids and my father I got caught in some heavy rain/hail near the Idaho/Utah boarder.
Right outside a truck stop called Oasis it opened up and let it rip.
Had to slow down to 55-60 mph to be able to see (I was on my old Ultra).
With safety glasses on it was not bad, the hail was small (no golf ball stuff).
I also had my rain suit on, but I just kept on rolling till the sun came back out.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I keep a large bandana and a pair of clear riding goggles on my Wide Glide in case I get caught out in the rain while wearing a half helmet.

I got caught out on my Street Glide in the rain while wearing my half helmet, but luckily I had one of those Biltwell Bubble shields in my saddle bag. That shield is normally on my 3/4 helmet but I put it in the saddle bag for some reason and it snapped right up to my half helmet too.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

I've used the bandanna method more times than I care to remember. Been so wet I couldn't get air through it more than once.
Ahh the Shovelhead years. now I flip down my bubble, and hunker down behind the windshield.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:23 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

If you're going to ride in rain with a half or 3/4 helmet, get a bubble shield. It'll be especially nice in those cold fall rains, at highway speed. Cheap, too.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole
If you're going to ride in rain with a half or 3/4 helmet, get a bubble shield. It'll be especially nice in those cold fall rains, at highway speed. Cheap, too.
My new helmet is a 3/4. on impulse I picked up a bubble for less than $20. Haven't had one since the 70's. Loving it.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:29 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Very soon I will put the 1/2 helmet away and get out my FF modular helmet with dual shields, stereo speakers and a boom mic!

Old 09-07-2017, 05:40 PM
HullDiver
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Half helmet, glasses, and the face shield thing. I buy those from a company called salt armor. They even have thermal ones for the winter. Havent ran into rain ive had to stop for yet... knock on wood.

Quick Reply: Half Helmet and rain