Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Where was the best Bike Route you ever took?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Harley-Jim
Road Captain
Received 438 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
TNumber 1?... well, that would be the Road I am riding on, or last rode on....
Right on! People will never understand this if it has to be explained!

Old 09-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Going to the Sun Road, Beartooth, Utah 12, Million Dollar Hwy are all very scenic. 219 in WV is really fun to me (over the mtn, then five miles through the valley and then over the mtn, repeat, repeat). Just did the Dragon a couple of weeks ago again. It always gets the hype. There are many roads in that area that are more fun to ride. As mentioned, Moonshine 28, then the Snake, Diamondback, Rattler, Devils Triangle, etc.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:59 AM
L88
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Just got back from 10 days in Utah. Route 12 from Bryce Canyon to Torrey (Capitol Reef) is one of the best roads I have ever ridden. I have have ridden all over this beautiful country, Canada and in Europe, but that stretch of road was amazing. Road conditions, weather, lack of traffic and killer vistas. And it was all day long, not 11 miles (but I do love the Dragon if in the area). Check it out sometime.
I 2nd this. I did this ride including Arches, Moab and Monument Valley for a 2 week trip. German motorcycle clubs pay big dollars to do this ride out of Las Vegas. Don't miss Moki Dugway if you go.

I don't get the whole trail of the dragon thing other than testosterone marketing. But I'm not really comfortable with sports cars coming at me the other direction at high speed.

Just got back from a 4700 mile round trip to Florence OR. Every road was incredible through central and northern OR. Great small towns to relax for a day or two while traveling.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 AM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts

The San Juan Skyway in Colorado was pretty awesome.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

My top two are Custer State park in Custer, SD and Million Dollar highway at Ouray, Co. That ride will blow your socks off. Pikes Peak...overrated. The Tail... overrated but Million Dollar is underrated

Old 09-16-2017, 09:56 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Until 2 weeks ago I would say Hwy 28 in the Smokies headed down to Franklin and Highland NC. After just going to Colorado now I would say Hwy 287 from Fort Collins to Walden Colorado. Amazing ride for 113 miles and very little traffic plus beautiful scenery. Here is a video!!! Very long so just skip around and look. This road has a little bit of everything Colorado has to offer. Canyons with river flowing beside the whole way, high mountain pass, very remote woodland that is most likely moose and bear country, and high mountain plains that stretch forever, not to mention lots of twisties!!!!

Last edited by tnriverluver; 09-16-2017 at 10:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TORQUEY (10-12-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 10:18 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

The Al-Can.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:49 AM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Until 2 weeks ago I would say Hwy 28 in the Smokies headed down to Franklin and Highland NC. After just going to Colorado now I would say Hwy 287 from Fort Collins to Walden Colorado. Amazing ride for 113 miles
Think your on 287 leaving Fort Collins but most of journey you are on 14 ? to Walden

Old 09-17-2017, 08:52 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Think your on 287 leaving Fort Collins but most of journey you are on 14 ? to Walden
after going back and looking at a map you are correct. It is hwy 14, Poudre Canyon Rd. Oh well it's a great Rd whatever the number lol

Old 09-18-2017, 12:55 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I've been on most of the roads listed in this thread and they are some beautiful rides.
Since some people are limited as to how far they can travel, the best ride for them may depend on how close they are.

East of the Mississippi River. I think the BRP offers some of the best views, plant life and wildlife.

West of the Mississippi River opens up a lot of possibilities and they vary from mountain to desert to ocean scenery.

I like the mountain rides (Glacier Nat'l Park, Yellowstone Park, Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, Pike's Peak, Mt Evans, etc) while my wife's favorite area to tour is in the Utah Canyonlands.

However, as the saying goes, timing is everything so anyone (especially those from the east) who may be considering a trip west should consider the weather forecasts for the time of year that you're planning your trip and the type of conditions that you're prepared to ride through.

Quick Reply: Where was the best Bike Route you ever took?