Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Where was the best Bike Route you ever took?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

June 2016. From Cody,WY into Yellowstone and back out through Lamar Valley. Then Across Beartooth pass.
Beautiful Country.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:28 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
June 2016. From Cody,WY into Yellowstone and back out through Lamar Valley. Then Across Beartooth pass.
Beautiful Country.
dont overlook chief joseph scenic hwy back to cody,wy.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:18 AM
hooter57
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Just got back from a long weekend trip thru Colorado. In 1700 miles I rode Guanella pass, Million dollar hiway, and more passes than I can count. The ride on 14 from Walden to Fort Collins is definitely one of the better rides I did. Late in the afternoon it was a little chilly though!

Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by hooter57
Just got back from a long weekend trip thru Colorado. In 1700 miles I rode Guanella pass, Million dollar hiway, and more passes than I can count. The ride on 14 from Walden to Fort Collins is definitely one of the better rides I did. Late in the afternoon it was a little chilly though!
I wish I had had time to ride 14 both directions instead of going down to Grandby and back through RMNP (3rd trip through during my stay) to my cabin in Estes. Several roads I got to do both directions and they were completely different going the other way.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

On my Dyna? I guess Pike's Peak would be my favorite on a Dyna, then probably the Dragon or some other Colorado roads. I probably won't tour on my Dyna anymore as that is the reason I bought the Street Glide. Had I rode my Dyna to Beartooth and Chief Joseph, like I just did on the Street Glide, they would both go to the top of the list.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

We rode the Rattlesnake Grade on OR-3 from Enterprise, OR to Lewiston, ID this summer. According to my motorcycle map, 200 corners in 20 miles, and some great scenery. Plus it's a 3-state ride since you cut through a corner of Washington which is kind of cool.

Lolo Pass was a lot of fun, but my brother who I was riding with had some kind of stomach bug and had to stop and puke every 5-10 miles. Kind of took the rhythm out of the ride.

CA 96 from I-5 to Willow Creek on CA 299 is great fun. It follows the Klamath River all the way down to its confluence with Trinity. Good road with lots of fun turns.

Avenue of the Giants in Redwood Country is a pretty amazing, albeit short ride.

My favorite? Crater Lake to the Oregon Coast via OR-62, 138 and 38 to 101 at Reedsport. The route follows the North Umpqua and the main Umpqua Rivers all the way down to the coast past waterfalls, hot springs, elk herds and of course Crater Lake itself.

Gotta do Beartooth though, definitely on the list.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:39 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Can't pick just one! Many roads I could ride and not get tired of them. No particular order

CO69 - late May when there is still a lot of snow on the mountains and it's leather weather!
CO550 - ditto
ID17,21,75 - ditto
US12 in ID
UT12
Talimena
Cherohala
...and plenty of others!

Old 09-23-2017, 11:03 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
I'd like to take that ride someday. I hear hitting the Great Divide in Colorado is a good side trip to Sturgis.

The best route I've taken is called Poopy's Triangle in Iowa.
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/24....Saktpwfh.dpbs
In Savanna, IL there are two biker bars, Poopy's and the Iron Horse, that are great hang outs. Poopy's has live music all weekend during the summer and a large outdoor stage for it. The Iron Horse has a boardtracker and hillclimber museum in the back and some pretty good local music in the front. Hwy 151 is nothing to write home about but Hwy 64 is a great ride and the River Road is beautiful in the spring and fall. I take a side tour from Galena, IL to Hanover, IL called the Blackjack Rd. Great twisties and a fun ride on a dyna.
Here's some video riding north from Savanna. Blackjack turnoff is at 3:06. The video seems to cut the best twisties out though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJNbbizwb98

Just did this ride last weekend......not too far from Chicago/Madison/Milwaukee. Highly recommend it ....

Old 09-23-2017, 11:05 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

But having ridden all over the US/Canada....this one stands out the best.....

Old 09-23-2017, 09:06 PM
bassnman
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

One of the best rides that we did was from Redlodge Montana thru Beartooth Pass, thru Yellowstone right into Jackson Hole in 1 day, 7bikes, 8 people..
And while in Cody Wyo "Chief Joseph Hi-Way"

Quick Reply: Where was the best Bike Route you ever took?