Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado, Grand Canyon and Utah in May

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 03:38 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Trail Ridge Road through RMNP will not open til Memorial Day at the earliest. I think it didn't open til mid-June this year.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by tt_ksu
Hi all,
I'm putting a rough plan together for a trip next year and wanted anyones advice on weather. I usually prefer cooler temps to hot, so figured this might be a better time to go through northern Arizona and Utah...

I live in KC and plan on riding straight through to Colorado Springs the first day. Then I will ride over to Ouray and the Million Dollar Hway into Durango. Then to Four Corners, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon. Then to Kingman on Route 66, Hoover Dam and into Zion NP. Will hit the sourthern Utah NP's and up to Arches and then to Steamboat Springs. I'll run through Estes Park, Rocky Mountain NP and then back across Kansas on I-70 through Denver.
A few thoughts...

- The absolute best way to see Monument valley is to enter from the North through Mexican Hat. When I did that trip, Monticello was where I ran into serious snow. I also ran into snow in Bryce Canyon. My wife ended up with a minor case of frost bite on that trip. If you don't have heated grips or gloves: I strongly recommend them.

- There is a good chance that you will not be able to get through the Rocky Mountain NP. I was there in lat June/early July one year and there was still a lot of snow on the ground. It was cold and very windy. The pass is at 12,000 feet and there is a good chance it will be closed in May.

- Unless you are a big route 66 fan, I would skip Kingman and the ride through Peach Springs. There are much better things to see and roads to ride in that part of the world: Page (Horsehoe Bend, Antelope canyons), Painted Desert/Petrified Forest, and Chinle.

- Tip: Arches is an amazing place, but to see it you really need to get out and hike. Same is true for Bryce and Zion. The Grand Canyon is different for everyone. Personally, I am happy experiencing it from the rim, but I cant do it in less than 3 hours.

- Cool places to stay: Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (it's haunted), Cameron Inn (just east of Grand Canyon on the Little Colorado), Kanab Utah is great place to stay before heading to see Zion or Bryce.

The following users liked this post:
AtticusFinch (11-14-2017)