Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding the Ozarks

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:32 AM
riff raff
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Riding the Ozarks

Just got back Sunday from a week of riding roads in NW and north central Arkansas with my son. I've ridden all over the country, all the famous named motorcycle trails, and this part of the U.S. is second to none in good riding. Not much traffic and a lot of twisties. One crowded area was around Eureka Springs, probably a rump wrangler roundup going on. Only down side to the trip was the return to east central Missouri in a cold rain. Our new M8 tourers were flawless.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:06 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

That's an area I haven't ridden. Can you share the roads you liked and where you stayed?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:28 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

https://www.arkansas.com/motorcycling/

also look up the 'Arkansas bucket list' thread on this page. Covers all kinds of stuff

Eureka Springs and Harrison make great hubs. Full range of eats and hotels and just about all roads in those areas are great. Clarksville and Ozark area along I40 also

The following users liked this post:
TKDKurt (10-25-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 05:39 PM
riff raff
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
That's an area I haven't ridden. Can you share the roads you liked and where you stayed?
We stayed four nights at the HUB motorcycle resort in Marble Falls. Use of the word "resort" is a little bit of a stretch. It's a basic motel, $70 per nite for two. They do provide bike cleaning rags. They serve dinner (limited options). Everyone there was on a bike. Favorite place for both breakfast and dinner was the Ozark Cafe in Jasper on Highway 7 where we started every day, about 10 miles south of the HUB. HUB is 7-8 miles south of Harrison on Highway 7. All the roads are good down there, but Highways 7, 23, and 43 are exceptionally good. Some numbers I can't even remember. One named road, The Pig Trail (23), is good. Pig Trail HD is in Rogers and Fayetteville hosts the Bikes, Beer and BBQ gathering every September./ One of the rides, the Peel Ferry Route, is really nice, goes up into MO on 125 across a ferry of an arm of Bull Shoals Lake. A good lunch spot is the Oasis Restaurant in Eureka Springs, an Arkey Mex kind of deal run by a couple of rough looking ladies. Visitor Center going into Arkansas on 65 has lots of ride brochures, all with amusing names such as the Jasper Disaster.

If you are a fisherman/woman, the nearby Buffalo River provides great smallmouth fishing and floating. We didn't fish, but I've fished there on several occasions. And, Bull Shoals, Tanycomo, and the name of the third local large impoundment which slips my mind at the moment are all nearby, and Trout fishing is great on the nearby White River below the Bull Shoals dam. If you're an old fart, Branson is 60 miles to the north. I'm 67, so not yet old enough to be enticed by the lure of Branson.

Last edited by riff raff; 10-24-2017 at 05:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by riff raff:
Hraefn (10-24-2017), TKDKurt (10-25-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 PM
Statuesque
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

A group of us rode down from SD in August 2016 to NW Arkansas. Yes GREAT RIDING. We home based from the Inn at the Mill, Springdale AR. Highly recommend. http://www.innatthemill.com/

Each day's plan listed below. The Oark General Store is a must do for lunch. I kid you not there was a Bloodhound laying out front in the middle of the road without a care in the world. I also recommend MO 125 & US 160 north of Bull Shoal Lake & Peel Ferry. One gentlemen in our group said he would never go back to the Dragon again after riding that stretch of rode. You know it's good when someone from the group radios out "WEEEE" thru the corners.

Yes, I'm one of those, "a planner".

Monday,Aug 22nd thru Thursday, Aug 25th rides:

Eureka Springs Loop. 146 total miles. This day's scenic routes would include War Eagle Mill & Dam, stopping by Pig Trail Harley Davidson in Rogers, thelargest HD dealership in Arkansas, Eureka Springs Main Street, reported to beone of Arkansas' best Main Streets, and Thorncrown Chapel at EurekaSprings.

Harrison, Pedestal Rock Loop. 281 total miles. Scenic twisty roads passing by Pedestal Rock.

OarkGeneral Store, Mt. Judy Loop. 250 total miles. This day would include reportedly the best part of the scenic Pig Trailroute, lunch (or at least a slice of pie dependent upon timing) at theOark General Store, and highway 123 to/thru Mt. Judea.

Peel Ferry Loop. 263 total miles. Thisday's scenic routes would include Peel Ferry (free ferry ride crossing BullShoal Lake) and the backside/downtown area of Branson, MO keeping us out of theheavy Branson tourist traffic.

See attached for routes.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Arkansas 2016.pdf (380.1 KB, 77 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Statuesque:
Eggman1 (04-17-2018), TKDKurt (10-25-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I did a few thousand miles in that area. Eureka Springs would be great without all the cars. Went there once, miles from Eureka Springs the traffic had slowed to under 30, and those tourists often took the curves at 10-15 mph. Frustrating, I'd never waste my time going there again. Town was neat, though... when you finally got there. The ride and view up Mt. Nebo, south of Dardanelle, was awesome. If you spent a few days in or near Russellville, you could take a day ride in every direction and it would be good. I took sidetrips down a lot of dirt roads and logging trails, too. Hope I get to make another run down there before I get too old. Hell, I'm already too old, but I'd do it anyway.

TKDKurt (10-29-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:16 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Statuesque
A group of us rode down from SD in August 2016 to NW Arkansas. Yes GREAT RIDING. We home based from the Inn at the Mill, Springdale AR. Highly recommend. http://www.innatthemill.com/

Each day's plan listed below. The Oark General Store is a must do for lunch. I kid you not there was a Bloodhound laying out front in the middle of the road without a care in the world. I also recommend MO 125 & US 160 north of Bull Shoal Lake & Peel Ferry. One gentlemen in our group said he would never go back to the Dragon again after riding that stretch of rode. You know it's good when someone from the group radios out "WEEEE" thru the corners.

Yes, I'm one of those, "a planner".

Monday,Aug 22nd thru Thursday, Aug 25th rides:

Eureka Springs Loop. 146 total miles. This day's scenic routes would include War Eagle Mill & Dam, stopping by Pig Trail Harley Davidson in Rogers, thelargest HD dealership in Arkansas, Eureka Springs Main Street, reported to beone of Arkansas' best Main Streets, and Thorncrown Chapel at EurekaSprings.

Harrison, Pedestal Rock Loop. 281 total miles. Scenic twisty roads passing by Pedestal Rock.

OarkGeneral Store, Mt. Judy Loop. 250 total miles. This day would include reportedly the best part of the scenic Pig Trailroute, lunch (or at least a slice of pie dependent upon timing) at theOark General Store, and highway 123 to/thru Mt. Judea.

Peel Ferry Loop. 263 total miles. Thisday's scenic routes would include Peel Ferry (free ferry ride crossing BullShoal Lake) and the backside/downtown area of Branson, MO keeping us out of theheavy Branson tourist traffic.

See attached for routes.

We were just out there last month, one of our rides was the Peel Ferry ride. Once we got on the Missouri side I missed 160 and stayed on 125. Turned out to be the best "missed road" on the trip!!!!

TKDKurt (10-29-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Ozark Café in Jasper, Country Fried Steak. We rode up there a couple of weeks ago. I knew elk were there but had never seen them. I told our leader when he got to Ponca to stop at the store. I asked where to see elk and they got out a map and highlighted the road we were on in the opposite direction. We went back like a quarter of a mile, just past the highway we had come in on and there was about twenty in a field. Road on down and there were about twenty more.

Nice riding there.

TKDKurt (10-29-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Y'all make it sound great. Definitely adding it to the "To-Ride List."

Old 10-28-2017, 02:18 PM
TXPHNDL
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Did about 4 days of riding in NW Arkansas last October. Absolutely some of the best roads I've ridden. Better than the Texas Hill Country. AR 123 from Clarksville north to Western Grove was fantastic. 21, 7, 23 and 16 are all good roads. If you get south of I-40 Magazine Mountain State Park on 309 is a good ride with great views. Try Granny's Kitchen in Huntsville, great fried chicken.
Enjoy

TKDKurt (10-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Riding the Ozarks