Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Atlanta to Asheville + Blue Ridge Pkwy

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Atlanta to Asheville + Blue Ridge Pkwy

I'm planning to bring the wife on a ride from the south side of Atlanta to Asheville on Friday, do an out and back along the Blue Ridge Pkwy on Saturday, then ride home on Sunday. I've planned a no interstate ride from Atlanta to Asheville using this route: (link didn't work) Starrs Mill Fayette County Ga to Jaemor Farms, to Tallulah Falls, To Clayton GA, to Asheville.

I plan to ride the Blue Ridge Pkwy north for 2-3 hours, get some lunch, then turn back to the hotel in Asheville. I'm looking for a little info and a couple tips.

1. This map shows a closure between mile markers 355 and 375 https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m....6802/-82.4084 and this alert shows nothing closed in that area: https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm -- can anybody please clarify the current status of the road in that location?

2. Any tips on good Asheville hotels? Preferably something where we can walk to bars downtown or grab a cheap Uber. Room just needs to be clean and comfortable, a quality gym is the only perk I'd pay a little extra for.

3. Recommendations for night life? We'd like to find a place with good drinks, a quality hefeweizen on tap (or at a minimum Erdinger in the bottle), and live music but with an area where we can escape to so we don't suffer permanent hearing loss. Classic rock through modern rock preferred, grunge and country are acceptable.

4. Must sees on the road north of Asheville?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Mike flies; 10-31-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:32 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike flies
I'm planning to bring the wife on a ride from the south side of Atlanta to Asheville on Friday, do an out and back along the Blue Ridge Pkwy on Saturday, then ride home on Sunday. I've planned a no interstate ride from Atlanta to Asheville using this route: (link didn't work) Starrs Mill Fayette County Ga to Jaemor Farms, to Tallulah Falls, To Clayton GA, to Asheville.

I plan to ride the Blue Ridge Pkwy north for 2-3 hours, get some lunch, then turn back to the hotel in Asheville. I'm looking for a little info and a couple tips.

1. This map shows a closure between mile markers 355 and 375 https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m....6802/-82.4084 and this alert shows nothing closed in that area: https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm -- can anybody please clarify the current status of the road in that location>
If it helps, the second URL states to go to the first URL for real-time road current closure/condition information. If uncertain, I would call them.

I don't have any answers to your other questions because I have always stayed in Cherokee.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:24 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

if you make it to mp 248 ya have done the most scenic part of BRP---dont know if stations inn is open now or not

Old 10-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
If it helps, the second URL states to go to the first URL for real-time road current closure/condition information. If uncertain, I would call them.

I don't have any answers to your other questions because I have always stayed in Cherokee.
What's going on in Cherokee?

Old 10-31-2017, 08:56 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I ate lunch on the BRP at Little Switzerland earlier this year. It was good and a perfect view.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:30 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

We were up there a couple of weeks ago along that route. Did not see any closure at that time on the BRP.

The following users liked this post:
Mike flies (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas

I just looked up Asheville hotel prices, now I know why you stay in Cherokee...

Old 11-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser

Trip is a GO. Found an AirBnB 10 minutes from downtown that doesn't feel like an **** roto rooting.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Passing Lane
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Just my opinion but the very best of the BRP is from Cherokee to Asheville. Everything thing is nice but the added elevation makes for spectacular views.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Passing Lane
Just my opinion but the very best of the BRP is from Cherokee to Asheville. Everything thing is nice but the added elevation makes for spectacular views.
just got off the BRP, it was a bust. Medium elevations and up were in the clouds

Quick Reply: Atlanta to Asheville + Blue Ridge Pkwy