Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trunk vs Tbag

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Having done many 2-3 week trips two-up. Opted to get the King Tour Pak for my RK...with the extra bag on top...
Just adapted the King Pak for my new SGS.....would NOT leave home without it....also lot's of extra lights on the King.....
Throw away clothes are a great idea, fortunately I can afford 2-3 dollar T-shirts.....wear and wash the bike with them. (Obviously our trips are during the summer.)
Wife has a great system in packing...she used large vacuum bags to put our clothes in ( you have no idea how much space air takes in the trunk )....she labels everything, we then use a small toiletries bag and take the clothes that we will wear the next day in a small carry-on. We never need to unpak the damn bike every night.....
She's a keeper.....

Old 11-21-2017, 06:00 AM
Evilgrimace
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 😎

Thank you all for your comments and advice! I can make an informed decision now!

Old 11-21-2017, 06:18 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I have had both. I like the tour pack with luggage rack on top. You can jus keep tying stuff on top.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:00 AM
jrrarr
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the touring trunks are ~5000 cubic inches. If you get a bag for the luggage rack it should have that much space if you want similar capabilities. I have a Kury bag that expands to almost 5000, love it. Comes off the rack and into the room at night, has rings on top if you want to add a small bag for more capacity. Newer versions of the same bag come with wheels on the bottom which I would definitely get if doing again. The trip into the motel room isn't much of a challenge but I fly and rent occasionally and having wheels would be awesome.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:11 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I've used both and I love my lockable, water tight, always attached, Tourpak.

No comparison.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilgrimace
Thank you all for your comments and advice! I can make an informed decision now!
Let us know what you did and post a photo when you can.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:46 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Packing the necessary gear and riding two-up, especially on long trips is a PIA!

Back when the wife and I rode two-up on long trips, my bike was packed "to the max"!
In '89, we were at a swap meet and a guy there had an inexpensive (Pod" cargo trailer for a really great price.
I wanted it, she was against it.
We walked around for a while and I finally told her that if he would drop that trailer of at our house for that price I was gonna buy it!

To make a long story short, we pulled that trailer with my '87 FXSTC and then my new '92 FLSTC up until I sold the bike and trailer to my cousin in the summer of '94 when I ordered my new '95 FLSTC.

The first words out of my wife's mouth when I made the deal with my cousin was "you are getting another trailer, right?"

I bought an Escapade trailer (still have it) and used it for many trips until she started riding and got her own FLSTC, which BTW has a leather tour pack.

The bad thing(s) about trailers are:
1. Having a trailer hitch on your bike MAY void your warranty. See what your dealer says.
2. If you're using a motel as a "hub", you have to find somewhere to park then and secure them while you're out sight-seeing.
3.. And the worst, knowing when you have what you need to take as opposed to filling the trailer up with unnecessary items.
I tried to load my trailer with my clothes, extra shoes, two light folding chairs and perhaps some snacks or groceries. My trailer has a cooler mount on the tongue which is great for drinks, meats, and to me, it's one of the best reasons for having a trailer in the first place.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 11-21-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:01 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I use a dry bag, 50 liters. We tent most times and it'll fit all our stuff, tent, sleeping bags,etc. I can carry the bag right to where I want to set up camp instead of going back and forth to my bike, not all camp sites let you park your bike beside your tent.
I just strap it onto the luggage rack of my Road King and behind me I'll use a Kurykyn travel pack that I lean on.
I wanted a tour pack at one time but not for over 2000.00 Canadian bucks.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by leadman
You can use a liner in the trunk that will lift out when you get to destination .
Also the trunk gives you the security of being lockable & you can put another
bag on top for more room . I get one bag . My wife gets a bag , the trunk &
the bag on top of trunk . She needs the room for just in case clothes . I've
learned just to pack all her crap & enjoy the trip .
That's why my wife now rides her own bike.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilgrimace
new to the scene. We have a road king with bags (of course). went on a weekend ride and filled the bags and needed more room...of course!...realize the trunk box is an option and noted Tbags as well. Our friends tell us trunk boxes get stolen often so you have to bring them in with you for the overnight. Wondering if a Tbag would be just as good while riding, yet much easier to bring inside for the night?

thanks to any of you on the forum willing to share your opinions.
Trunk box....what’s that? Do you mean tourpak? Often stolen? Anyway, if you have a passenger a tourpak is the way to go, IMO. Nice backrest for your passenger, lockable, rain proof and you can put a bunch of stuff in it and on top with a tourpak rack. Also, I’m sure you can figure a way to secure it to the bike overnight if you’re worried it may be stolen. Since I travel solo on my Limited I mount the expandable Super T-Bag on my passenger seat. This is one great piece of bike luggage. Check it out on Amazon.

Last edited by mtgriz; 11-26-2017 at 09:08 PM.