Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

European Rider planning a USA roadtrip: advice?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
I cannot believe people are suggesting mountains.....these guys live in Belgium a couple of hours away from the alps and you want them to go to the mountains....

I would do ...Monument valley....Utah national parks, Bryce, Zion, arches....the grand canyon....do the Indian lands, they have none in Europe.....i would stop in Vegas ......as you drive over to New Orleans ..detour to Mt. Evans, Pikes peak...highest paved roads in the US.....continue to New Orleans
If riding this route, I'd suggest going north along the TX/OK/MO/AR border instead of heading to Dallas and then going north. Dallas is a driving/riding nightmare, and the landscape north of Dallas through Kansas is rather bland. (I drove that route just 6 months ago.) The scenery in east TX, OK, AR and west Missouri is much prettier than you might expect. In the map (see link at bottom of post) I arbitrarily chose Shreveport and Pittsburg as start/end points. I've taken that route myself a number of times. It takes you along the Talimena Scenic Byway, too. Great road! When traveling across Kansas I'd avoid the interstate. You can make great time on it, but it is boring. Pick any Kansas state highway for your journey across the state and you'll find good roads, plenty of towns and cities, and more interesting scenery than you'd expect. Yeah, there are some flat stretches of road with few trees, but you can really "haul the mail" on those roads.

I recently rode from Kansas City to Liberal KS (southwest corner of the state) and back on HW 56...just for fun. The landscape wasn't bad at all.

Map of suggested route

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 12-07-2017 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Marijn Willems (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Marijn Willems
Hey guys!

I'm posting this here to get some locals advice. I'm a Harley (Street Bob) rider from Belgium (Europe) and planning a USA bike trip.

It's been a life-long dream of mine to cross the USA with a Harley.

I might add some extra questions later-on. Thanks in advance!
You should narrow down your touring parameters to a more specific area or region in the US (Rockies? Smokys? West Coast? etc), probably have a better result IMO. 3 weeks isn't a lot of time to do a full cross country tour unless you're never off the bike seeing cool things.

Are you looking for the 'best roads' to ride? or looking for the best 'culture' (bars, rallies, cities etc)

Have been fortunate enough to ride coast to coast. Some areas I wouldn't go back to or suggest to anyone. NOLA for example- fun to visit for sure, but on a bike not so much IMO.

Last edited by F150HD; 12-07-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Marijn Willems (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 03:39 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

What time of the year?

Old 12-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Marijn Willems
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
You should narrow down your touring parameters to a more specific area or region in the US (Rockies? Smokys? West Coast? etc), probably have a better result IMO. 3 weeks isn't a lot of time to do a full cross country tour unless you're never off the bike seeing cool things.

Are you looking for the 'best roads' to ride? or looking for the best 'culture' (bars, rallies, cities etc)

Have been fortunate enough to ride coast to coast. Some areas I wouldn't go back to or suggest to anyone. NOLA for example- fun to visit for sure, but on a bike not so much IMO.
Hey,

I guess California looks like the best option and the southwest in large.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Marijn Willems
Novice

Originally Posted by jdw1
What time of the year?
We're aiming at april to june or september-october. Depends on the deals we get for planetickets.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Marijn Willems
Novice

So would you guys agree on renting a bike from Eagle Rider or are there better options? Because that is one of our first important things to book next to plane tickets!

Old 12-08-2017, 05:23 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

CanadianRocky2 gave some solid advice on a motorcycle adventure. My take is under no circumstances should one spend time and treasure on Route 66. With all the roads to ride and the landscape to view, 66 is a waste.

Marijn Willems (12-12-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

consider purchase and review of madmaps.
It shows routes that are scenic.
https://madmaps.myshopify.com/

Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Wait a minute; did you say two friends riding LA to New Orleans?

Attached Thumbnails European Rider planning a USA roadtrip: advice?!-5fe3355b-840e-463a-bad1-0f4d99f3d2b6.jpeg  
Old 12-09-2017, 02:13 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Wait a minute; did you say two friends riding LA to New Orleans?
Yes, people never pay attention to what the OP is asking and all of a sudden everyone answers as if it was THEIR ride....
Let the fire/flames begin.....LOL

Quick Reply: European Rider planning a USA roadtrip: advice?!