Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

looking for advice about tent camping

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 AM
iron mule
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks to all for the advice some good things to keep in mind about this
some good advice on equipment and how to do and look for things
thanks all again
mule

Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

Here is my “Sleep System ..... the tent is A MSR 2 man tent. This gives enough room for one person and gear storage. The cot (thermarest) folds up into a small bag, an airmattess to keep your back warm (the cot has a mesh that lets cold air come up) and a 32 degree sleeping bag (a necessity in the mountains and high plains). I also carry a wool blanket to toss over on very cold nights. I hate being uncomfortable at night and all of my camping gear fits into a 25 Ltr Waterproof bag.....

The following 3 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
5wheels (01-01-2018), iron mule (12-31-2017), lmar (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 09:38 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm guessing you know every engineer on every train too.

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Usually there are patio bricks or lawn timbers nearby. I pile a couple up and use them as a ramp. . . .
I may or may not have swung through the Home Depot parking lot on my way home last night. I can neither confirm nor deny whether I looked around for materials that could serve as a ramp. Patio bricks. I'll keep that in mind.

You know in thinking about it; I guess I know why people don't like to travel with me
I think anyone would be fortunate enough to travel with someone as resourceful as you.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 10:41 AM
hooter57
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Here is my “Sleep System ..... the tent is A MSR 2 man tent. This gives enough room for one person and gear storage. The cot (thermarest) folds up into a small bag, an airmattess to keep your back warm (the cot has a mesh that lets cold air come up) and a 32 degree sleeping bag (a necessity in the mountains and high plains). I also carry a wool blanket to toss over on very cold nights. I hate being uncomfortable at night and all of my camping gear fits into a 25 Ltr Waterproof bag.....

Been thinking about one of those thermarest cots. Do they sleep pretty comfortable? I ain't getting any younger, a good night's sleep really helps the next days ride.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:36 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

Originally Posted by hooter57
Been thinking about one of those thermarest cots. Do they sleep pretty comfortable? I ain't getting any younger, a good night's sleep really helps the next days ride.
Very comfortable! Great for the hips. But the foam mat is very necessary as the cold air will come up from underneath and because the sleeping bag is compressed your back will get cold. As will your kidneys which will make you get up more. Most nights I sleep all the way through.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:07 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,382 Likes on 6,850 Posts

One thing that has not been mentioned in all the great advice given is a "pee bottle", there is nothing worse than having to get up, go outside your tent to relieve yourself, put on boots stumble outside to find a place to go or hobble over the camp bathroom. I usually use a larger Gatoraid bottle as they have a wide mouth. Just get up out of your sleeping bag, kneel down and go in the bottle, make sure to put the top on tight and store the bottle somewhere so it does not tip over. Might want to mark it as a pee bottle so it is not mistaken for Gatoraid - lol. Empty the bottle in the morning.

Campy Roadie (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 01:41 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

There's a motocampers website that has a lot of great info on it. I have a Eureka Backcountry 2 tent that folds up small enough to put in a side case that I like a lot. And I use a down mummy bag that's squashes down to softball size, and thermorest self inflating pad. As others have said think backpacker gear and you'll do fine. I either grab a sandwich, munchies and cold beverages on the way into a site late in the afternoon or eat out in the evening. I like KOA's, they are always clean but won't be the cheapest if that's important to you. I have an incredibly small stove to boil water for a cup or 2 of those folgers coffee bags to help get me started in the morning and then grab a proper breakfast at the first decent stop I see.

On a longer trip, Every couple of days I treat myself to a motel to wash clothes, take a real shower and just relax these old bones.

Last edited by Firenailer; 12-31-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Harley-Jim
Road Captain
Received 438 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
In a pinch while traveling I have resorted to this after closing time. They're usually right off the interstate.

Awesome! All those years I've spent a wet cold night outside after riding buy those box hardware chains. Never again. One of the best posts ever! Thanks

Campy Roadie (01-01-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I use the iPhone's KOA and AllStays Camp & RV apps to find campgrounds, I'm sure they make Android versions. If you know where you're headed you can book your next site using the KOA app in the morning.

I'll also reiterate to shop at backpacker stores for your gear. My camping kit fits in a Harley Premium Collapsible Luggage Rack Bag while in the smaller setup leaving extra room if needed while on a trip. I have never needed to expand the bag. You will pay more for small light weight gear but it is worth it. I found a 2 man tent for 1 person more than adequate, lots of room to store gear as well as sleeping. I opted for a smaller 44* sleeping bag but use a fleece liner which when combined with the bag are more than adequate when the temps get closer to freezing. If combined they are almost the size of a full size bag but pack better as separate items. More often than not the liner on top of the sleeping bag is all I use. Don't forget a good LED light with spare batteries.

I also carry a 10,000mah USB power bank to help keep my camera, cell phone and iPad charged. It's stored in the tour pack charging while riding during the day. I plan on replacing it with a power bank/booster pack one day.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I use the iPhone's KOA and AllStays Camp & RV apps to find campgrounds, I'm sure they make Android versions. If you know where you're headed you can book your next site using the KOA app in the morning.

I'll also reiterate to shop at backpacker stores for your gear. My camping kit fits in a Harley Premium Collapsible Luggage Rack Bag while in the smaller setup leaving extra room if needed while on a trip. I have never needed to expand the bag. You will pay more for small light weight gear but it is worth it. I found a 2 man tent for 1 person more than adequate, lots of room to store gear as well as sleeping. I opted for a smaller 44* sleeping bag but use a fleece liner which when combined with the bag are more than adequate when the temps get closer to freezing. If combined they are almost the size of a full size bag but pack better as separate items. More often than not the liner on top of the sleeping bag is all I use. Don't forget a good LED light with spare batteries.

I also carry a 10,000mah USB power bank to help keep my camera, cell phone and iPad charged. It's stored in the tour pack charging while riding during the day. I plan on replacing it with a power bank/booster pack one day.
I see the KOA app is free while the Allstay app is $9.99. I guess it is a small price to pay to have the access? I would assume both apps will provide campground info in Canada too?

Quick Reply: looking for advice about tent camping