Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

looking for advice about tent camping

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:00 PM
iron mule
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default looking for advice about tent camping

hello people
looking for advice about tent camping on a bike
mostly how to find a spot to camp //preferred equipment to have // type of tent // but any and all info/advice is welcome
planning a long trip next year would like to do some tent camping when weather permits first time for this on a bike
no time limit route is around the country most west of the ms river to national parks on very little interstate roads
thanks for any help you offer
mule

Old 12-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Get at least a three person tent. A very good tent. I like to use a tent that has a rain fly that covers the entire tent all the way to the ground. I use a Coleman blow up twin mattress. A very good sleeping bag if in cold weather. Pillow

I find a campground that has showers. Usually reserve a spot if in a touristy area.

I have bought the National Park Annual Pass a couple of times. I bought one year and visited ten NP that year following Sturgis. The next year was the 75anniversary for Sturgis. Me and a buddy went to Colorado instead. My pass was good the next year till the end of August. Me and my buddy got in all the parks for free that year as well.

I plan to hit at least six NP's this year after Sturgis (Glacier to Zion). I turn 62 in July and plan to buy the Golden Age pass or whatever it is.

The following users liked this post:
iron mule (12-30-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:05 PM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts

Can't remember the name, but there is a whole forum dedicated to motorcycle camping. Found it a few years ago. Just Google it . Tons of info

Old 12-28-2017, 06:26 AM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Get at least a three person tent. A very good tent. I like to use a tent that has a rain fly that covers the entire tent all the way to the ground. I use a Coleman blow up twin mattress. A very good sleeping bag if in cold weather. Pillow

I find a campground that has showers. Usually reserve a spot if in a touristy area.

I have bought the National Park Annual Pass a couple of times. I bought one year and visited ten NP that year following Sturgis. The next year was the 75anniversary for Sturgis. Me and a buddy went to Colorado instead. My pass was good the next year till the end of August. Me and my buddy got in all the parks for free that year as well.

I plan to hit at least six NP's this year after Sturgis (Glacier to Zion). I turn 62 in July and plan to buy the Golden Age pass or whatever it is.
Great advice, also look for a backpacking tent, lighter and more compact, a marine bag for those things that must stay dry.. I like to book weekends only days in advance, I used primarily KOAs had a membership, yes if you purchase a National Park pass it will be good 13 months, so try to purchase it early in the month, definitely a must have.
I've done 49 consecutive days tent camping across USA in both the last two summers.I planned my route in advance , other than weekends no accomadations were booked in advance.

Skeetz Tripin on FB

Last edited by skeetz; 12-28-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:51 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

I just completed a 3 week trip out west this past summer. Started in Colorado down to monument valley over to Grand canyon up through Utah. I tent camped 80% of the time. I motel in bad weather only. I mostly used reg campground that cater to rv's they usually have tent spots. You will have all the things you need at these campgrounds (showers, store for snaks, water etc) this cuts down on carrying food and utensils stuff. Think backpacker equipment and it all fits in the bike. I had a 3 person tent, good bag self pumping air mat and even bought a nice Helinox chait along which made a great night at the tent. The web site to check out is motocampers.com and they have lots of reviews and suggestions. I did a 2week trip the year before to test out my gear and packing before the trip out west. After you ge your gear you should do some yard testing then a short trip to see what you need and dont need. It made a big difference for me when I went to Colorado. Also I did my trip solo as well. Always carry water. you can go quite a while and not spend much tent camping along the way, you also have the state campgrounds available as well. One more thing when I went to Zion and Bryce canyon I went at 7 am, both of these park get extremely crowed by 10 am. When they get busy by mid morning you have to take a bus into the park. So I went early. The parks are pretty nice early in the am and very peaceful before the deluge of tourists swarm them.

Last edited by hdman6; 12-28-2017 at 07:01 AM.
moose545 (10-25-2018)
Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Think ultra light camping/back packing when looking for gear.

I have a 2-man tent from Cabela's. Plenty of room for me and some gear (jacket,chaps,helmet, clothes) and tall enough where I can sit straight up. Be sure to get a small tarp (or footprint as the camping stores call it) to put under the tent. Keeps the tent clean and blocks moisture.

I have a Eureka sleeping bag that's rated to 60 degrees. It's about the size of a softball when packed and plenty long enough for me at 6'2'. I bought a bivvy sack then cut it open to use as a blanket over the bag in cooler weather. I've stayed warm down into the 40s with this. It rolls up to about the size of a softball, too.

You'll probably want a sleeping pad for a little more comfort. I got a self inflating pad at Cabela's that works pretty well.

Camping in state/national parks works well. Look for the amenities you want like showers. I generally stay at KOAs so I can do laundry. They all have a general store if you need something and some have cooked food. There is also the option of the Kamping Kabins if you decide not to tent or the weather turns bad.

All of my camping gear fits into a stuff sack like this:
http://s471.photobucket.com/user/gtm...=1514472179624

Bunch of stuff here. Go down about 6 posts for a checklist I put together for road trips.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-f...e-camping.html

More here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...nd-tricks.html

Last edited by gtmalone; 12-28-2017 at 09:03 AM.
iron mule (12-30-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 06:32 PM
iron mule
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Grandslam

that is part of the trip I plan
but gonna hit monument valley and the four corners area on the way back
coming in from rifle to Durango then up to hwy 50 to 395 see Yosemite then around the grand canyon the on to the places in Utah
thanks for the info
mule

Old 12-28-2017, 06:37 PM
iron mule
Intermediate

thank all of you for the info /// it will help me get equipped and find places to camp
the idea of the national park pass was very good have looked into it and will get one
thanks again and if any one thinks of anything else let me know about it
mule

Old 12-29-2017, 12:14 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

To start with as has been stated earlier, stay at campgrounds with showers. Depending where I am I will try and find a KOA Campground, they are clean, have hot showers and usually have a store and a little take out food bar. Most campgrounds at National Parks are nice and have all services.

In regards to equipment, don’t be afraid to spend a little money on a good 3 season tent with a ground sheet and a rain fly that goes to the ground. A 3 man tent gives you enough space for gear and a Thermorest self inflating mattress to sleep on. I usually upgrade the tent pegs to large ones that won’t bend when camping in the mountains.

I never take a pillow, I use the bag from the sleeping bag and stuff it with my riding jacket.

A good sleeping bag that is rated to 20 degrees will keep you warm if you are camping in the mountains. Try to buy one that will pack small.

I always carry a good LED flashlight, a headlamp, a Leatherman Multitool, a nylon rope for a clothesline, duck tape, a light plastic tent peg hammer which helps to pound or pull out tent pegs. This comes especially handy in the mountains. I bought mine at Campmor.

I hope this gives you some help. Enjoy your trip planning.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Don't limit yourself to just camping. A couple of years ago I went to Glacier. The first night at KOA tent camping near East Glacier for $36 or $38. The next day I went to West Glacier and rented a cabin for $40. I had reservations for both.

The sleeping bag: I have woke up cold twice. Glacier and Yellowstone. I may have to wear some insulated while camping at YS this year. Every morning it was around 30 degrees in August. I plan to book the cabin again in Glacier.

I did carry one of the small camping pillows that stuffs in a small bag. I have since got a small blow up pillow that will fit in the palm of your hand. I bought one at REI that was expensive. I have since bought one for my wife on Amazon for $10 or so.

Quick Reply: looking for advice about tent camping