Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ozarks Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Ozarks Questions?

My group is planning a trip to the Ozarks this summer. We will be riding the area for 3 full days with a base lodging somewhere in the area.

First Question: Is Eureka Springs, AR the best place to get lodging? Or is there a better "center of operations" for our day rides? (We like the idea of renting a cabin rather than staying in a hotel.) We need to decide this relatively soon so that we can reserve a spot.

Second Question: With 3 days to work with, what are the must-do roads? If anyone has circuit routes that they have done and recommend, I'd love to see your ideas!

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:44 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Eureka would be a good place to stay. Lots of roads in NW AR and SW MO to
ride. It's pretty much pick a road and it will be good. Harrison, AR would also make a good base.

Here's one suggestion based in Eureka.
https://rideplanner.harley-davidson....2&locale=en_US

AR23 (Pig Trail) is a good ride. You could ride it south for as far as you like then come back. AR7 from Hot Springs to Harrison is good.

Enjoy the ride!

The following 2 users liked this post by gtmalone:
KTMTOM (01-15-2018), TKDKurt (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 04:50 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Kurt - Eureka Springs is the perfect place to set up camp. It has great restaurants, tons of lodging, and access to a LOT of great riding. I did a road report awhile back that details a lot of the roads here - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/773062-bob-and-cheryl-explore-the-grr-and-ozarks.html Ozarks

Naturally I have my favorite roads. Hwy 12 to Beaver Lake is short but sweet. Hwy 123 is amazing as well. But honestly, it's very hard to go wrong.

The following users liked this post:
TKDKurt (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 PM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

"If" this makes any difference to your group, a great number of counties in AR are dry counties. Eureka and Harrison are both wet. Cannot purchase on Sunday.

We like staying in Harrison quality inn is very bike friendly and about $75 per night and then do day trips from there.

123 south thru Mt Judea is a fun challenging road. 125 in MO south to AR and across Peel Ferry then over to Mt home south across Push Mt to Mt View. Don't forget Oark for a great burger and fantastic pie! But you can't go wrong on any of the roads, just depends on how challenging or how scenic you want.

TKDKurt (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 06:47 PM
drmmast
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you plan to try and make it to Missouri make sure to take a helmet. the have a universal which means everyone wears a helmet. we went down for a ride in Harrison ar, only about an hour from Eureka Springs, last year for ride the ozarks. great trip heres some maps of different routes that they had. If you get a chance to get up to Bull Shoals its a very scenic ride.
https://www.harrisonarkansas.org/c_upe_view.php?id=342, and they have google maps links.

TKDKurt (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by drmmast
if you plan to try and make it to Missouri make sure to take a helmet. the have a universal which means everyone wears a helmet. we went down for a ride in Harrison ar, only about an hour from Eureka Springs, last year for ride the ozarks. great trip heres some maps of different routes that they had. If you get a chance to get up to Bull Shoals its a very scenic ride.
https://www.harrisonarkansas.org/c_upe_view.php?id=342, and they have google maps links.
My home state, and most states around here (in fact most states on the east coast) are helmet states, so we're used to that. But thanks for the reminder and for the recommendation and link.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

https://www.arkansas.com/motorcyclin...tetype=On-Road

lot of ideas here.
look up 'arkansas bucket list' thread in this forum.
Lot of info there and places worth stopping. As I told my brother once on our single day to ride, we are zooming past some fantastic places to visit, but he did not rent a bike to go hiking

TKDKurt (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Eureka is a perfect spot to home base. Go to the local HD Stealership, they had a rack right inside the front door with at least a dozen different ride routes. Someone here I am sure may have them, but it was a serious amount of riding from 2 hour trips to day trips, all looping back to Eureka.

The following 2 users liked this post by Architect:
cdremy (01-11-2018), TKDKurt (01-11-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Two "must ride" roads that came up in numerous responses (and the online research I have been doing) are Push Mountain Road and the Pig Trail Scenic Byway. I am incorporating other suggested roads in the two loop routes that I am planning to do each of those stretches. So thanks again to everyone who responded.

Is there another road that falls into the "must ride" category that I am missing? I'd hate to get back and have someone say, "Did you ride XYZ Road? It's the best in the region" and have completely missed it.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:10 PM
sulli
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i second and third the pig trail, it's a lot of fun! if you like gumbo hit up grandma's beans and cornbread restaurant for lunch; it's right next to the HD store in Eureka.

TKDKurt (01-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Ozarks Questions?