Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ozarks Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 02:11 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

124 from Lurton to Mt Judea or Vendor or 374 takes you back to hwy 7. Called AR dragon in guide lists. Great views, Sam's throne and switchbacks

The following users liked this post:
TKDKurt (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:13 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Two "must ride" roads that came up in numerous responses (and the online research I have been doing) are Push Mountain Road and the Pig Trail Scenic Byway. I am incorporating other suggested roads in the two loop routes that I am planning to do each of those stretches. So thanks again to everyone who responded.

Is there another road that falls into the "must ride" category that I am missing? I'd hate to get back and have someone say, "Did you ride XYZ Road? It's the best in the region" and have completely missed it.
Seriously, the Pig Trail (although it is a named road and everyone wa nts to ride it) isn't the best road in the area (kinda like the Dragon isn't). The best part of the Pig Trail is actually very short.

Be sure and pick up all or parts of the following Highways: 16/ 123 / 7 / 27

If you go far enough south, check out Mt. Magazine. The road coming into it from the south is really nice. Temps will be 10+ cooler on the top of Mt. Magazine (highest point in Ar.) than surrounding areas.

With the roads I just mentioned, Harrison would be your better home base. But you could do it from ES. ES it self is probably a better/funner place to stay though.

oh and 62 from Eureka Springs to Rogers, Ar. is really good. especially the eastern half. (for curves that is)

The following 2 users liked this post by SilverEagle50:
TKDKurt (01-12-2018), tphillips (01-18-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:23 PM
HawgRider768
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a good lodging option since you said you prefer to rent a cabin.

http://www.pinewoodcabins.net/amenities-pricing/

TKDKurt (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
Seriously, the Pig Trail (although it is a named road and everyone wa nts to ride it) isn't the best road in the area (kinda like the Dragon isn't). The best part of the Pig Trail is actually very short.

Be sure and pick up all or parts of the following Highways: 16/ 123 / 7 / 27

If you go far enough south, check out Mt. Magazine. The road coming into it from the south is really nice. Temps will be 10+ cooler on the top of Mt. Magazine (highest point in Ar.) than surrounding areas.

With the roads I just mentioned, Harrison would be your better home base. But you could do it from ES. ES it self is probably a better/funner place to stay though.

oh and 62 from Eureka Springs to Rogers, Ar. is really good. especially the eastern half. (for curves that is)
Spot on! All of it. I'll add 215 into Oark to the list.

But I do prefer ES.

Also, Push Mtn Rd is pretty far from all of the above.

Last edited by nevada72; 01-12-2018 at 02:28 PM.
TKDKurt (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

While you're in the area you might want to run about 100 miles south and ride the Talimena Skyway in Oklahoma. 540 will get you there at a good clip.....

TKDKurt (01-12-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:58 AM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Not sure your route coming in? We go down there numerous times a year from the north. We usually go down MO 125 into AR and take peel ferry. Head over towards Mt Home, then Push Mt to Mt View. Stop in Mt view at wing shack for a great burger! Then we either head to Harrison or we go north on 9 to Mammoth Springs.
from Harrison we usually go to jasper and catch 74 east, grab 123 south. Pay attention! ! Very little traffic but hair pins going up the mountain. Agan, pay attention! We take 123 all the way to Clarksville and head back north to oark. Old store, great burger, better pie! My buddy said the buttermilk pie is the only one he doesn't have to try again. you can then go west to the pig trail. Where you come at the pig trail is just north of the station/store, so you can run down there, get your pig trail sticker, then go north. Now this is only my opinion, but everyone is going to ask you if you rode the pig trail. So you have to do it once so you can say yes. But then it's been there, done that. If you get to Russellville area, Mt Nebo, Mt Magazine and Petit Jean are great views.
from pig trail we like going north to 16, go east and head up to Ponca. Elk herd comes out of the timber early morning and late evening.

You just can't do it wrong down there, every road is an adventure!

TKDKurt (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:20 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by 107inMO
"If" this makes any difference to your group, a great number of counties in AR are dry counties.
+1....I was down there once Harrison lifted their 'dry' status. There were 3 people in town apparently competing to get a license to open a bar or something. I was at some hotel on main street and the mayor himself was telling me about it (didn't know it was the mayor until someone mentioned it)

Thats one drawback to Arkansas- there's good riding but nowhere to stop along routes. Not that I drink a lot, but stopping for a beer and lunch somewhere is pretty normal where I live, but in Arkansas its not possible. Some of them watering holes are also good places to meet people/locals and find unique things to see etc. I guess one could stop at a laundromat and buy a coke from the machine inside....though hardly the same.

Regardless, the lack of those amenities does keep me from going back anytime soon. It takes away from the culture of the ride some for me.

TKDKurt (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:23 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
First Question: Is Eureka Springs, AR the best place to get lodging?
nice little town, if you need a center of operations, that's a good place to stay.

TKDKurt (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 05:12 PM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Yeah, I should have mentioned, don’t pass a station if under half tank or if you are even thinking you might need to go potty.

TKDKurt (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 05:29 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD

Thats one drawback to Arkansas- there's good riding but nowhere to stop along routes. Not that I drink a lot, but stopping for a beer and lunch somewhere is pretty normal where I live, but in Arkansas its not possible. Some of them watering holes are also good places to meet people/locals and find unique things to see etc. I guess one could stop at a laundromat and buy a coke from the machine inside....though hardly the same.

Regardless, the lack of those amenities does keep me from going back anytime soon. It takes away from the culture of the ride some for me.
That's an interesting observation. I am also from Wisconsin and I never even thought about a lack of watering holes n Arkansas. I guess because I grew up down there (as well as here) so I was used to it.

Around here (Wisconsin) it's a different ride. We do stop and have a beer here and there. It's part of our Germanic culture. But down in Arkansas I always saved it for the end of the ride. The roads there demand attention and honestly, I guess I wouldn't want to spend too much time on them with alcohol in my system. Which probably sounds funny to anyone that knows me. I'm okay with a beer stop here and there in our many travels. But the Ozarks - you want to be on your game there. I've come across many downed riders. There is little forgiveness on the other side of that fog line.

And Eureka Springs has plenty of watering holes. So at the end of the day you're all set.

TKDKurt (01-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Ozarks Questions?