Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Clearwater,Florida to Key West. Need help.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:53 PM
JIMMYJEEP92
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clearwater,Florida to Key West. Need help.

Planning a trip to Key West, and as a new biker it will be my first long ride. I need directions that keep me off the Interstates. I'm an old guy, so camping is out, but if you guys could recommend motels along the way, that would be great too. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

I am sitting in Largo as I type this ..This coming week they have very high wind advisories in the keys for this coming Monday - Friday so if you were thinking about heading down soon be careful. I lived in the lower keys for over 30 years and when it is real windy it can be dangerous.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:26 PM
JIMMYJEEP92
Intermediate

Yea, not a big fan of the heavy winds, Hopefully the weather will be good when i leave in mid April.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:21 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,560 Likes on 5,153 Posts

For that trip pack, check you bank account and head south. You may wander east and west a little but long as you turn back south you will get there. Would not even need a map.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:29 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Help is here, relax

Being I have lived in S. Florida since 1974 I have traveled but never lived in the keys. I have had the pleasure of being a tourist who only lives 50 miles or so from Key Largo. This would qualify me as a sort of semi-professional independent safari liqueur guide & event planner. It is very hard to know all of the bar & taverns from Key Largo to Key West but I am willing to give it a go. There are many professional tasters of the sauce and competition is stiff in the keys but can they fix a motorcycle in a pinch?

I am offering my services to guide you through the rough parts. Need a refreshment in a lighthouse, toast dolphins, pet a snook, eat well, watch the sun rise & set, and try to almost never sleep, I am in.

Good luck on your trip, do your homework of what to see and make a list and rub elbows with the locals. Hope you have a blast. I would say you could budget say 5 years without doing the same thing twice.

The following 2 users liked this post by FastHarley:
ISP-FLHTK (03-07-2017), nibroc (01-14-2018)
Old 03-05-2017, 12:57 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

There are a few choices:
For example it is about 8 hours from Clearwater to Key West with ZERO stops and that is mixing some interstate/turnpike into the equation.
If you want all back roads and for it to have about 6-8 scenic stops of 15 minutes then it could be 12 hours with a nice lunch and dinner stop.
From Clearwater make your way to Hardee Hwy 663 south that becomes 661 then go a few miles east through Arcadia.
Then continue east leaving Arcadia to 31 south.
Then 74 going east bound towards US27.
Then make a choice:
#1 Continue to US27 south and continue on US27 to 997/Krome south to start of Keys
Or
#2 Take 29 south through Labelle to Tamiami Trail/41 east to 997 /krome south to start of Keys.
Note : #2 is a Daylight only ride due to possible animal encounters and lack of road side service after dark.
#2 is probably an hour longer and maybe 30 miles more.
But again #2 is more scenic since you can make a side trip to the Ave Maria church (looks like popes hat) built by the Dominoes pizza guy, then continue south to 29/Tamiami junction to see Everglades city (town that almost everyone got arrested in the 80's) and have stone crabs along the river at City Seafood, continue back on tamiami/41 going east to maybe stop at the smallest post office in Ochopee for a picture, then stop at Joanies Blue Crab Cafe, then stop at the Free Gator viewing along Tamiami Trail, then stop at Value Jet memorial then make it to krome/997 and go south on 997/krome to start of the keys.
Note : There are hotels available at the end of 997/Krome just before the start of the Keys.
This is my cut and paste for Florida keys:
Two choices at the start of Keys and both spit you out at the same spot: #1 Turn left onto Card Sound Road(much less traffic, more scenic and relaxing but about 20 minutes longer) or #2 Just stay on US1 (US1 has been greatly improved and now has divided barriers) but it is a high speed race and the passing lanes can get hairy at rush hours.
Places:
Alabama Jack's, Card Sound Rd., On card sound road just before/right next to toll $1 ?(Toll is old school dude in a box )…Alabama Jacks is Place to snack and have a beer. This is the only place to eat/drink on card sound road. mangrove/water in back.
Key Largo : east side of road.. The African Queen ”bogart movie little boat ” - is on view sometimes at the Holiday Inn Key Largo Marina..”FREE” if it it is docked since it was redone for some kind of tour deal…on west side of road then A local bar “kinda dumpy” the Caribbean Club-(i do not think it ever closes) good view from the back and was supposedly used for Bogart movie…Maybe get a beer in a bottle and enjoy view of the water in back.
World Wide Sportsman, Islamorada MM # 82 - ultimate tackle store (now part of the Bass Pro Shop chain) but store has some fake replica history that includes Zane Grey and Papa Hemingway. Good place to eat next door on water at isla morada fish company….use bathrooms at the Big World Wide Sports store next door..(back right corner) by the aquarium…store is kinda cool and has nice free view of water...worth the stop for bathrooms and a break even if you do not eat next door.
Hurricane monument/memorial between Mile Marker 81 and MM 82-a quick stop..will not change your life but most people miss the landmark.. FREE 5 or 6 minutes rest to read signs. There are about 3 or 4 parking spaces FREE almost touching monument.
This is a link to a 360 degree view of the keys..works rather odd because you need to hit the (-) whenever you wish to click the top left corner (Florida keys tab) to select a different mile marker view..But rather cool...can even do a full screen
http://360floridakeys.com/things-to-...cane-monument/

Islamorada MM#79 :Cool place.. Hand feed tarpons at Robbies..really easy to miss...just past bridge..west side of road.. I think it is $3 for bucket of fish and $1 dollar per person? nice 15-20 minute stop and they have cold glass bottle cokes to cool down
Go to youtube for video's
http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm
Island Fish company MM #54 is a nice place on the water to eat,drink or snack.
Seven Mile Bridge MM# 47: used in several movies. Notice old bridge on west side.
Many people cross it and are in such a relaxed state that they miss "seeing it"
No Name Pub MM# 31---NOT on the water but you WILL see the famous and protected wild Key Deer along the way. The bar is different with a ton of dollar bills stapled to walls, roof etc...pizza, wings, beer type of place...very hidden.
KEY DEER BLVD/CR-940 stay straight on WILDER RD./ AVENUE A to dead end (1.2 miles)Turn LEFT onto POINCIANA RD/POINCIANNA RD. (0.1miles) then Turn RIGHT onto AVENUE B. (0.2 miles)AVENUE B becomes FL-4A/WATSON BLVD. go over bridge (0.8 miles)…bar on left.
key west: Mallory Square,Hemingway House
Best fish sandwich : BO's fishwagon (not on the water), fresh everyday, on caroline and William..dump at corner of intersection..park bikes a few feet away(meter)..do internet search
http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/bos-fish-wagon.html.
Definitely get your picture taken at the Southernmost Point., Consider a sunset sail cruise and/or a Bi-plane ride(cool).
Schooner Wharf Bar Key West on William Street- on the water (food in a basket).
The parking meter maids do not play..make sure to pay for parking in Key West (meter/public/whatever).

Last edited by im; 03-05-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:56 AM
JIMMYJEEP92
Intermediate

Thanks for the detailed instructions and the time it must of taken to put them together. I understand everything from Arcadia going south, but I cant find "From Clearwater make your way to Hardee Hwy 663 south that becomes 661 then go a few miles east through Arcadia." I can't find these 2 roads on google maps. Do they have names in addition to the numbers?
Thanks again, Jim

Old 03-05-2017, 06:23 AM
Rhettm
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to zoom in on Google Maps to find 663. It runs south off of SR62 just south of Fort Green, which is due east of Parrish. There are several ways of getting to it from Clearwater, but the easiest would probably be to go over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. It's kind of a cool ride on a bike.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:59 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMMYJEEP92
Thanks for the detailed instructions and the time it must of taken to put them together. I understand everything from Arcadia going south, but I cant find "From Clearwater make your way to Hardee Hwy 663 south that becomes 661 then go a few miles east through Arcadia." I can't find these 2 roads on google maps. Do they have names in addition to the numbers?
Thanks again, Jim
Find Arcadia.
Then run your finger west on from Arcadia on 70 about 2 miles and find 661 (just west of 72 junction with 70).
Run finger north on 661 and watch as in turns into Hardee County Hwy 663 as it goes to the nothing town of ONA near 64.
Countinue running finger north on Hardee County Hwy 663 as it will end at 62 near town of Fort Green but a quick turn left west about 0.25 miles and then a turn north puts you back on Hardee County Hwy 663 .
That will allow you to pass Fort Green .
Hardee County Hwy 663 will now also be called Old Highway 37.
At Bradley junction turn the Hardee County Hwy 663/ Old Highway 37 turns onto the real 37 .
Continue on 37 towards Mulberry.
Then take 60 west passing by Valrico then Brandon then Tamp towards Clearwater.
Try putting Google earth on a real computer and zoom into those roads so you can virtually drive them.
It will allow you to see a satellite view of the area's and to read road names.
Paper maps will rarely detail smaller roads.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I am sitting in Largo as I type this ..This coming week they have very high wind advisories in the keys for this coming Monday - Friday so if you were thinking about heading down soon be careful. I lived in the lower keys for over 30 years and when it is real windy it can be dangerous.
How long are you in town for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clearwater,Florida to Key West. Need help.