Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

traffic in Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

I did YS last year and in 2014, and making plans to go back this year as well. I have made my campground reservations at Canyon. I have not been stuck in the traffic jams, YET.

In 2014 I was headed back north from the lake to Canyon. We got to where all the buffalo were and there were maybe a dozen cars in front of me and I only had a short delay. The cars and bikes were backed up for about two miles on the other side of the road. I felt sorry for all the bikes headed south.

The section you are talking about is the only section of the park I have not been to.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 AM
cory464
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rollonfreebird
I checked for hotels in June all around that area, even 100 miles away, lot of them are already booked, and expensive too
there isn't much civilization nearby. west yellow stone looks like your best bet for lodging. if you are camping, i recommend staying outside of the park. most sites in the park are very crowded and noisy we found an amazing campground on Hebgen lake that had zero traffic,and an amazing view. it crowded and irritating. but if it is your first time, you gotta hit the big sights. tour buses tend to heard everyone out by 4, so late in the day things are pretty decent. my favorite areas are the canyons and the lake. everyone hits the geysers, but they get a little boring after you've seen a few.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 AM
cory464
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

sorry, just looked at a map. i'm guessing there will be zero traffic on that route.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

I've been there several times. It never gets old, even with the traffic problems. Someone told me that it's worse in the early morning because that's when much of the wildlife is moving around and many people stop in the roadway to view them. I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes sense.

The wife and kids and I drove there a few years back. Got stuck behind about 6 cars that were stopped in the roadway (someone must have seen an animal) and waited for about 5 minutes. There was no on-coming traffic, so I slowly and carefully pulled into the on-coming lane to go around. Suddenly, the female park ranger who was standing around watching the people who were standing around watching animals ran to my window and yelled at me. I stopped. She said with her authoritative command voice, "It's illegal to cross the solid yellow line!" I replied, "It's also illegal to stop in a lane of traffic." Then I drove off with her still shouting at me.

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 01-17-2018 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Peter Griffin (01-21-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

It’s slow. I always stay in West Yellowstone. the Northern loop one day, the Southern loop the next one.... One day around the Beartooth, Chief Joseph using Cody is good. One day from Cody to Jackson Hole. Prepare for expensive rooms and book as soon as you can. Watch a Gunfight in Cody & have a Whisky at The Irma. Maybe even shoot a Gatling Gun and go to the rodeo.

Bring money, reserve early.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:16 AM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Be careful of the elk. They run the place,they'e not afraid. Was in a line of traffic it was near Old Faithful, going about 20-25 miles an hour with a space that couldn' have been more than 20 feet between cars, one car ahead of me one ran right out and crossed the road between 2 cars.

skeetz tripin on FB

Old 01-17-2018, 10:00 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Elk and buffalo will walk right in front of you. Have read of the buffalo not liking the sound of an idling bike. Leave yourself some moving room.

Check ahead for construction. We had a good stretch when passing thru last year on 89 in NW section.

from 9 till 3 ish, parking lots are ridiculous. Many leave when it rains.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:44 AM
mlbmd
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait 'til after Labor Day. You will enjoy the increased freedom to move about the Parks.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:26 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been through there a few times, the traffic is horrible that time of the year. If you can, go before school is out or after school starts. That said, the Beartooth Highway is probably worth the traffic in itself.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:36 PM
mlbmd
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As I stated, go after Labor Day. I, also have been through there a number of times. I prefer to go after Labor Day, when kids are back in school. Went this last year, a couple of weeks after labor day (and, luckily, just before the snows hit), sailed through the Parks with only minor slow downs, did the Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph road with almost no company.

Quick Reply: traffic in Yellowstone