Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis

Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,208 Likes on 5,972 Posts

We went the week before and had not problems. Everyone was getting ready and a lot of them were anxious to the week to start. Many have told me they get tired of this whole thing by the end of the week!! Lots of nice riding, low traffic, not many people. The only thing missing was the crowds on main street. That I can live without. There is a lot of nice riding around there....no crowds make that nice!!!
Something to consider.....

edit.... we stayed at Iron Horse Inn in Whitewood SD.....really reasonable rates and nice motel.....

Last edited by Spartanden; 02-11-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Last time I went out I did the week before and left Thursday of the rally. Stayed at Hol Inn Express in Sturgis the week prior for normal prices. Moved out on Friday when the price went up. Best riding the week prior.....

The following users liked this post:
rnl_1200C (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

same here. First time trip to Sturgis. My schedule takes me a few days before the rally and leaving on Tuesday. Keeping an eye on Trivago.com for hotels.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:55 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
We went the week before and had not problems. Everyone was getting ready and a lot of them were anxious to the week to start. Many have told me they get tired of this whole thing by the end of the week!! Lots of nice riding, low traffic, not many people. The only thing missing was the crowds on main street. That I can live without. There is a lot of nice riding around there....no crowds make that nice!!!

edit.... we stayed at Iron Horse Inn in Whitewood SD.....really reasonable rates and nice motel.....
What's the point of doing Sturgis if you are going to miss Sturgis.....otherwise go any time of the year, no people, no too many bikes.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:00 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

I get the sense that the OP wants to go to the rally, not just the city.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,208 Likes on 5,972 Posts

Understand..... just stating/offering another viewpoint. I would love to go one time during the event....but why go out if you have to spend huge amounts of money and fight the crowds, and can't ride? I know....blast me. but I don't much care for crowds and spending when I don't have to. We didn't attend the event, we missed the boobies, crowds, drunks, and fights. But we rode every day for a week, had decent weather ( it did rain a day or two) and got to see the area. which is what we went for.
There are great roads there, lots to do. But then you know that don't you?? Just another option for the OP if he were interested.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Looks like to me if you go the week before, you missed the rally. You would also miss the burnouts and wet t-shirt contest in Sundance, BBQ in Hulett, the mini rally at Rapid City HD, etc. JS

I have been in a few traffic jams while there, but for the most part, traffic is a non issue. I did skip the 75th due to the traffic (I went to CO for two weeks). I don't think I would have had a problem with the people, but I figured everywhere you went, when you got there, you would be in a traffic jam.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Understand..... just stating/offering another viewpoint. I would love to go one time during the event....but why go out if you have to spend huge amounts of money and fight the crowds, and can't ride? I know....blast me. but I don't much care for crowds and spending when I don't have to. We didn't attend the event, we missed the boobies, crowds, drunks, and fights. But we rode every day for a week, had decent weather ( it did rain a day or two) and got to see the area. which is what we went for.
There are great roads there, lots to do. But then you know that don't you?? Just another option for the OP if he were interested.
Oh, I understand. A lot of people have no interest in the rally. But, going to Sturgis, SD the week before he rally isn't going to "Sturgis". No blasting. . . It's just a different thing.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I have never had the urge to go to Sturgis during the rally. Really don't drink and not a fan of big crowds. The area is a blast to ride so we would only do it just about any other time. Saying that i know for some people its on there bucket list. If so then i would get there maybe a few days before to try and get in some nice riding. Then do the other stuff the week of

Old 02-13-2018, 07:23 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
Saying that i know for some people its on there bucket list. I
Bucket list? Some of us go annually! 😁

To the OP - if say do it. Go the week of, and enjoy it. That's when the rally is. Otherwise, you might as well go in June. LMAO!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sturgis