Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The new “Hog Touring HandBook”.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 10:29 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,106 Likes on 8,922 Posts
Default The new “Hog Touring HandBook”.....

..SUCKS!.... I just went through it a bit, and on the BC Map, they don’t even have all of the Creston to Revelstoke bit up the lakes through the West Kootenays in Yellow, never mind with the “Motorcycle” symbol that shows a Designated Scenic Ride. That piece of road is not only one of the best in BC, but I would rank it in one of the top 10 I have ever been on anywhere.

They do have Hells Canyon, but not the piece from Lewiston to Enterprise which is Another huge omission. Over Ratlesnake Pass and down to the Grande Ronde River and then back up again is a spectacular motorcycle road. Never mind that there is great Pie at the bottom.

I guess they forgot to ask those who actually ride on the roads they have on the maps. If they screwed this up, then I wonder how accurate it is in places I have not been to.

I used that map quite a bit in the last two years. I will just use it as a basic reference and not use it for route planning.

The following users liked this post:
t059736 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

I couldn’t agree with you more Rocky.
The Canadian version of HOG has really gone for a crap. It’s like you say these people putting this stuff together in my opinion are lacking a lot of knowledge of Harley riding.
The documentary “Common Ground” they aired to showcase Canada was nothing but a joke and a waste of time to watch. Not to pick on the females but the girl riding out west with less than 5 years riding experience was like a dog shittin razorblades when it started to rain and her voice told the story. Where the heck to they get these people??? It was 40 minutes of my life I won’t get back.
Their so called Canadian HOG rallies are also a joke, and I suppose thus the reason they are not having anymore.
I have given up my Canadian membership and will possibly join a US HOG chapter across the border from us. But, then again,the jury is out on that one!
Just my opinion but I hear what you are saying about the stuff they are supplying.

Cheers, Terry

t059736 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:16 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I agree. I got a HOG membership, but only for their “StepAndFetchIt” towing program. Saved my *** 3 times last year. Of course it is actually a Road America service they use. But still; the HOG people where great at resolving an issue for me that I had with Road America.

So they get my membership because it works, for that.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
..SUCKS!.... I just went through it a bit, and on the BC Map, they don’t even have all of the Creston to Revelstoke bit up the lakes through the West Kootenays in Yellow, never mind with the “Motorcycle” symbol that shows a Designated Scenic Ride. That piece of road is not only one of the best in BC, but I would rank it in one of the top 10 I have ever been on anywhere.

They do have Hells Canyon, but not the piece from Lewiston to Enterprise which is Another huge omission. Over Ratlesnake Pass and down to the Grande Ronde River and then back up again is a spectacular motorcycle road. Never mind that there is great Pie at the bottom.

I guess they forgot to ask those who actually ride on the roads they have on the maps. If they screwed this up, then I wonder how accurate it is in places I have not been to.

I used that map quite a bit in the last two years. I will just use it as a basic reference and not use it for route planning.
So...have you told them? or just us. because I can't do **** about it but I'm sure they would like to hear what might improve the atlas??

cacomly (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Noisy Cricket
So...have you told them? or just us. because I can't do **** about it but I'm sure they would like to hear what might improve the atlas??
told them last year

And the purpose of the post was not to get anyone to do anything. It was a review for those that do not know, now know.

Do with it as you wish.

The following 3 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
5wheels (02-16-2018), Cosmic Razorback (02-17-2018), Scorpio09SG (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:52 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm becoming a big fan of Butler Maps, a little spendy but I've found some great rides on them.

I'm with you on the Rattlesnake Grade. Great fun although I didn't have the pie at Boggan's, but I'll vouch for the milkshakes!

Last edited by duckbagger; 02-16-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by duckbagger
I'm becoming a big fan of Butler Maps, a little spendy but I've found some great rides on them.

I'm with you on the Rattlesnake Grade. Great fun although I didn't have the pie at Boggan's, but I'll vouch for the milkshakes!
I am going to hunt some Butler Maps down. And my plan is to take the Pan from Hells Canyon to Lewiston (after Sturgis) so I will try the milkshake this summer