Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Big Bend National Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:06 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Big Bend National Park

What would be a good jumping off point for the Park. Marathon, Alpine, Terlingua? Want to stay same place every night and do day trips to different locations.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:49 PM
anglerman52
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're coming from Austin area headed west on Hwy 90 go south on Hwy 285 at Marathon. Make sure you fill up with gas there as it's a long haul south to the park. You can stay at Chisos Mountain Lodge in the park or there are several places on the west side of the park at Terlinqua or Lajitas where you can stay. I went out last December and stayed at Lajitas Resort, nice place but it's not cheap, $199.00 a night. There are cheaper places in the area. You can ride all the paved roads in the park in a day with no problem, I recommend riding down to St Elena Canyon for sure. You can leave Lajitas and head north to Presidio on Hwy 170 (The River Road) this is a really nice ride. You can then head north on Hwy 67 out of Presidio to Marfa and on up to Ft Davis. There is a nice state park at Ft Davis but it is closed for repairs at this time. It's a great ride anywhere you go in this area just don't pass up a gas station or you can find yourself in the middle of nowhere out of gas..

The following users liked this post:
Bigaj2 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM
anglerman52
Intermediate
Old 03-13-2018, 03:56 PM
anglerman52
Intermediate
Old 03-13-2018, 07:37 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
What would be a good jumping off point for the Park. Marathon, Alpine, Terlingua? Want to stay same place every night and do day trips to different locations.
Alpine

The following users liked this post:
Vec (11-30-2021)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:51 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by anglerman52
Very nice .... I love the desert.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:04 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I was there last November. I stayed one night in Alpine. Then went to the Davis Mts. I think Alpine is to far out for a base. I'd go to Terlingua for a few nights. I don't know how the other guy did the whole park in one day. I divided up the park in to sections and had a blast. I wasn't in any hurry, stopping frequently. It is a large area to cover from one base. I also spent one night in Presidio, coming back from Ruidosa. I went down Pinto Canyon Rd from Marfa. I wouldn't recommend that ride as it turns to a tough gravel road. But there are beautiful views.
I road down there on 190 to I10. Went I10 for about 40 miles and turn off. Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:57 AM
texasbub
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Marathon (Gage Hotel) or Marfa (El Paisano). Gage has a great restaurant and bar. I prefer the Paisano. It's claim to fame is the cast from the movie Giant stayed there during filming (Rock Hudson, James Dean). Restaurant is not as good as the Gage but Marfa has more to offer in terms of places to eat than Marathon. Marfa is a little closer to Ft. Davis. Check out the observatory there.

A lot to see out there. Thinking about that trip almost makes me wish I was back in Texas. Almost.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:59 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
Rossn2...maybe I’m too late but I’d like to rethink my Alpine recommendation. Not sure what I was thinking. Nothing wrong with Alpine, but it’s just another town with all the typical stuff in it. Instead, take a look at Terlingua. In the process of planning another ride to Big Bend and realize I overlooked that Easter Egg Valley Motel and the Big Bend Motor Lodge just to the east. Also, there are some interesting Airbnb listings for Terlingua. While Terlingua of course doesn’t have a Hampton Inn, etc. it does have a unique personality to it along with incredible, night skies.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:09 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

I went down there in the early 90s? Late 80s maybe. I remember only a few paved roads. One down to the river. One up to the top, lodge, restaurant etc.... We went down a few side roads, a couple paved but mostly well graded rough roads. Has this changed? More paved runs now?

Quick Reply: Big Bend National Park