Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

How do you handle in the rain and deal with a (tubed) flat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:38 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

No H2O....check out this thread. Could be something you might consider for toughening up those tubes and reduce chances of a puncture.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...does-work.html

Old 03-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Here is a good thread on riding in the rain. For some reason the Mods close these threads and leave 10 year old “which bike should I buy” threads open.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-imagined.html

Old 03-21-2018, 09:57 PM
razors edge
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ride on is a good way to go as many folks have suggested. personally i would get rid of the spoke wheels and run mags. then you can plug them on the side of the rode and go. as far as the rain goes, it's nature of the beast, if you ride much at all your gonna get wet. i got rid of my spokes because i had two rides severely hampered by flat tires. rather than ride the three sisters i get to fix flats and on another run up to San Anglo. A real ball buster.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:56 AM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

YES! Ride-On for flat prevention, works on tubed tires, they recommended you add a little extra for tubes though.
I have ridden in some downpours, '95 Heritage, '05 Heritage and 2014 Ultra Limited. Slow down a little and beware of spray from the big trucks. Good rain gear is a must. I think most people who pull over and wait it out, either didn't have rain gear or waited to long to put it on.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

When it rains the bike gets wet and I keep riding. I wear full Goretex riding gear so no pulling over to put rain gear on.

For tubes, my main bike is my 2006 Sportster and I replaced the spokes with mags several years ago after I got a flat while riding. My Heritage I just could not pull the spokes off since they look so right for the bike and consequently had to deal with a flat tire in November 2016 while traveling through Lynchburg VA. Had a friend who was local pick me up and let me spend the night at his house. Tow truck took the bike to the dealer who took care of me in the morning

I ride about 30-40,000 miles a year with 75% or more on my Sportster

Old 03-22-2018, 01:03 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,923 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Your tire issue sounds like you still have Dunlops on the bike, they get caught in everything. Move on to another brand, me I like the Michelins, night and day from Dunlops.

Bike handles fine in all kinds of rain, good rain gear and keep on riding.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:30 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

1) What makes Harleys fun in the sun makes them less fun in the rain. I have no trouble with mine in the rain but I also don't have good rain tires on it (since they don't really make them for Harleys) and find I have to be a lot more mindful of things in the rain than I did with my other bikes that had proper rain tires. I find it makes me enjoy riding in the rain less. To answer your question I think some riders are inexperienced with riding in the rain so it's more of a risk for them and some just don't want to deal with it. I've also known guys who immediately toweled off their bike after it rained when we were at a bar. Mine was covered in mud and I considered it an improvement. The bike will handle fine, the question is if you can handle the bike in the rain. It's a bit more of walking on eggshells. Sorta like a muscle car in the snow. Thus never go faster than you can safely stop, and don't touch the brakes or gas in a curve, wait till you're facing straight again till you give it gas. Lot easier to control.

2) I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I find it to be super rare to get a flat anymore. Only time I ever did I was riding through a industrial parking lot. There was a topic about using 'Ride-On' a few days ago, maybe something like that can be used as well.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:38 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Riding in the rain is not a big deal but I would never own a bike with tubes in the tire, had a flat tube tire on a female friends 08 UC on the way to Sturgis in the middle of no where 100 degrees weather and 17 hrs long day was enough for me to come home and replace spoke wheels on wife's UC.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:37 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by No H2O
1. I notice when the rain starts coming down, HD riders in particular tend to wait it out underneath an overpass. Is this due to not typically donning waterproof gear or is it due to heavier cruisers not handling safely on wet pavement?
My 2009 Electra Glide Classic handles just fine in heavy rain, right up to the point when it starts to hydroplane, which is when I will exit the freeway and wait for it to clear up a bit. I expect most people ride it out under and overpass simply because they don't want to ride in the rain: too cold, too wet, don't want to get spots on their paint... Who cares? The rain will pass soon enough, in most cases.

2. My tires are tubed. Meaning that if I catch a nail or screw in the road, patching it and going a few hundred miles to a shop isn't an option like it would be on tubeless tires. Obviously people are taking long trips on these bikes, how do you deal with a flat while going through states where repair shops aren't abundant?
Everyone has basically the same risks regardless. A little flat fix-it and a way to get some air in the tire is about all anyone can do; unless you plan on doing some shade tree mechanic work on the side of the road (not me). I carry some water, snacks, and a way to entertain myself while I wait for the tow.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Loose the Dunlops and get a more road friendly tire. And install Ride - On in the tire for the nails
Definitely second this!! I ride a Road King and it would give a wiggle on every tar snake and painted line on any road. Until I went to Metzler 888's and Ride-On. Never a wiggle now.

Carry rain gear with me at all times. I usually keep rolling in the rain unless it's heavy or coincides with meal time.

Quick Reply: How do you handle in the rain and deal with a (tubed) flat?