Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Chicago to NY...State road 6??? add'l suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:53 AM
Bigblueh20
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chicago to NY...State road 6??? add'l suggestions

All, thanks for your help with me mapping out my trip down the skyline and Blue Ridge Parkways...I was able to piece together a state by state route for the return rie home on route 66....I plan to ride to Joliet..from there someone recommended taking state road 6 all the way to NY....Has anyone ridden this route before? if so, do you recommend this route all the way to NY? Any idea of how long it took you? Does anyone have any other recommendations...obviously looking to stay off the interstates, superhighways as much as possible...Thanks looking forward to your responses.
Jim

Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 AM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

route 6 through NY, PA and NJ is beautiful! Not the most direct, however that's not what your looking for, so I think it;'s a great choice!

Old 03-22-2018, 08:54 AM
ghost361
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Route 6 is good. When you get into PA make sure to take the triple 6 bypass as it is definitely worth the trip. I did a route on the harley route planner. Let me see if I saved it. I started in Cleveland and went into New York and back.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Bigblueh20
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ghost361
Route 6 is good. When you get into PA make sure to take the triple 6 bypass as it is definitely worth the trip. I did a route on the harley route planner. Let me see if I saved it. I started in Cleveland and went into New York and back.
Thanks for that...Would greatly appreciate if you could send me the file or the ling to HD planner as Im having a hard time finding user created routes in HD PLanner.
Jim

Old 03-24-2018, 08:19 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigblueh20
All, thanks for your help with me mapping out my trip down the skyline and Blue Ridge Parkways...I was able to piece together a state by state route for the return rie home on route 66....I plan to ride to Joliet..from there someone recommended taking state road 6 all the way to NY....Has anyone ridden this route before? if so, do you recommend this route all the way to NY? Any idea of how long it took you? Does anyone have any other recommendations...obviously looking to stay off the interstates, superhighways as much as possible...Thanks looking forward to your responses.
Jim
after a trip w/ buddies to PA few years back, I broke off when they returned home, took HWY 6 to NYC. Great ride.

Suggestion (if you haven't already) - get an EZ Pass now. Don't wait, it takes weeks to activate thru every system in each state etc. Was surprised how many tolls we ran into....sometimes due to construction we had to take a route that had a toll

Old 03-25-2018, 08:24 AM
Bigblueh20
Cruiser

Originally Posted by F150HD
after a trip w/ buddies to PA few years back, I broke off when they returned home, took HWY 6 to NYC. Great ride.

Suggestion (if you haven't already) - get an EZ Pass now. Don't wait, it takes weeks to activate thru every system in each state etc. Was surprised how many tolls we ran into....sometimes due to construction we had to take a route that had a toll
Thanks for that advice. I have a MC Ez-pass....had one for years. Do I need to do anything so that it is activated in all of the states I am going through? or is it fine just the way it is...THANKS

Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for that advice. I have a MC Ez-pass....had one for years. Do I need to do anything so that it is activated in all of the states I am going through? or is it fine just the way it is...THANKS
you'll need to readup on that or call them and ask, but I think you have to apply to have it work in all those other states? and it takes a few weeks to get into every system.

Shocked at the $ of toll in NY State, though rural NY was very pretty and scenic, even the interstate.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:18 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

I've never called anyone and my EZpass has worked from PA to IL to VA and many other areas.

I've ridden US 6 in PA and it's a nice ride. Look for a hotel ahead of time since there are some less populated areas. Logging trucks can sometimes be as issue.

Along the route is the kinzua dam and the kinzua bridge. The kinzua bridge was a railroad bridge that partially collapsed a few years ago and you can walk out on the part that is still standing. I haven't been there yet but it's on my list

Also, you go through the Allegheny National Forrest. Their website has scenic rides to take worth looking into. In that area of PA almost every road is scenic

Old 03-26-2018, 05:01 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by cacomly
I've never called anyone and my EZpass has worked from PA to IL to VA and many other areas.
How long has yours been active?

when one buys one it takes a few weeks for it to get into every states system. This occurred to me and a group 2 years ago. Where we live we have no use for it, but it was needed to head east.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:21 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
How long has yours been active?

when one buys one it takes a few weeks for it to get into every states system. This occurred to me and a group 2 years ago. Where we live we have no use for it, but it was needed to head east.
Years, but I have gotten new transponders and taken trips a few weeks later and never had an issue

Quick Reply: Chicago to NY...State road 6??? add'l suggestions