Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Devil's Den West Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:34 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,600 Posts

We're headed down this way in July.
Will try to see as much of the "Dragon" loops as possible.

BTW, "Hillbilly Hot Dogs" in Lesage, WV is an experience!

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (04-03-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:22 AM
clicker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Colonial Motel in Man W.V. Thinking about making it a hub for a few days. Also the Turnpike Motel in Princeton W.V. Just checking if they are clean and nice enough so the Wives don't complain????? Thanks!!!

Old 04-06-2018, 08:33 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by clicker
Has anyone stayed at the Colonial Motel in Man W.V. Thinking about making it a hub for a few days. Also the Turnpike Motel in Princeton W.V. Just checking if they are clean and nice enough so the Wives don't complain????? Thanks!!!
In Princeton I would stay at the Sleep Inn, but that’s just me. If they are like my wife, she would be much happier there.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:13 PM
stuckinnj
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been riding the roads of WV since 1988. The group I ride with started as 4, we are now up to 25+ and 3d generation riders (Oops did I just give away how old I am). Haven't found a road I didn't like. We tend to base ourselves in the state parks. Almost all of them have cabins w/Hot Showers and small kitchens. You can rent inexpensive cabins that sleeps 6 (3 bedrooms). Highly recommend. Rather spend money on fuel, food and adult beverages.

As a Northerner (north of Mason Dixon line), I've always been impressed with how welcome we are. Restaurants are welcoming. Local bars are a hit or miss but for the most part we buy our beverages and take back to the Cabin.

Highly recommend visiting Green Bank, WV. Home of the worlds largest Radio Telescope. Not far from Seneca Rocks.

Cautions: watch out for wash out/debris /loose gravel on the roads in curves. Live animals always add a bot of excitement. One bike was attacked by chickens - chickens lost.

This year we are putting the Philippi Bridge (RT250) on the ride. RT250 will take you to Moundsville State Pen (http://www.wvpentours.com). Worth the tour if open - so ck schedule.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:47 PM
sire86
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by stuckinnj
Been riding the roads of WV since 1988. The group I ride with started as 4, we are now up to 25+ and 3d generation riders (Oops did I just give away how old I am). Haven't found a road I didn't like. We tend to base ourselves in the state parks. Almost all of them have cabins w/Hot Showers and small kitchens. You can rent inexpensive cabins that sleeps 6 (3 bedrooms). Highly recommend. Rather spend money on fuel, food and adult beverages.

As a Northerner (north of Mason Dixon line), I've always been impressed with how welcome we are. Restaurants are welcoming. Local bars are a hit or miss but for the most part we buy our beverages and take back to the Cabin.

Highly recommend visiting Green Bank, WV. Home of the worlds largest Radio Telescope. Not far from Seneca Rocks.

Cautions: watch out for wash out/debris /loose gravel on the roads in curves. Live animals always add a bot of excitement. One bike was attacked by chickens - chickens lost.

This year we are putting the Philippi Bridge (RT250) on the ride. RT250 will take you to Moundsville State Pen (http://www.wvpentours.com). Worth the tour if open - so ck schedule.
Thanks for the link looks like a cool tour , I'm going to be heading down that way in June . Can you recommend any hotels and some back country roads in that area?

Old 04-08-2018, 02:58 PM
stuckinnj
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see you’re from NJ. I’m up in Sussex County. How you enter the state will determine best roads. From the Northeast Rt 50 is not only historical but some of the sections are perfect for a bagger. Rt219
To 33 or 15 (east-west roads). If you like mountain switchbacks, floor board grinding, either of those roads will put a smile on your face and crease in your seat.
Further south Rt is a pretty road through lots of small towns. As you get into the heart of the state, remember this is/was coal & timber country, there are many short roads that provide a the grin factor.
Highly recommend requesting map from the county commerce. They do a good job of promoting motorcycle friendly roads w/mapped out routes. Then there are the pieces of dragon roads throughout the southern half.
Personally, I like to base in one location and target a different direction each day.
One thing for sure, you won’t be disappointed.

The following users liked this post:
sire86 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:54 PM
sire86
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I see you’re from NJ. I’m up in Sussex County. How you enter the state will determine best roads. From the Northeast Rt 50 is not only historical but some of the sections are perfect for a bagger. Rt219
To 33 or 15 (east-west roads). If you like mountain switchbacks, floor board grinding, either of those roads will put a smile on your face and crease in your seat.
Further south Rt is a pretty road through lots of small towns. As you get into the heart of the state, remember this is/was coal & timber country, there are many short roads that provide a the grin factor.
Highly recommend requesting map from the county commerce. They do a good job of promoting motorcycle friendly roads w/mapped out routes. Then there are the pieces of dragon roads throughout the southern half.
Personally, I like to base in one location and target a different direction each day.
One thing for sure, you won’t be disappointed.
Thanks for the advice will definitely be checking the area out soon. PM me If your ever riding down to the Shore area , maybe we can meet up

Old 04-15-2018, 02:13 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,600 Posts

That Philippi Bridge is awesome!
My wife was following me and she panicked when I started across it.
(No spoiler here, you have to experience yourself to understand).

Just as you cross the bridge and go through downtown by the courthouse there's a bar on the RH side that has decent food and down the street a few doors there's a restaurant that supposedly offers a buffet breakfast.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 PM
huffy
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 34 Posts

The New River Gorge Bridge is cool and any road from there is great. I think it's hwy 16 is all the curves you will want. I have been in the WV area the last three years in different places. There are coal haulers, and they are working, so be aware these guys haul some serious butt on the small roads. The small towns will make you wonder how they ever built some of the homes into the mountains. Will also be some what depressing at times when you see the way some live. Good people who had to work hard until their jobs were taken away. You will not regret any ride in W.V.
I just realized I never gave much road detail but when I ride, I don't pay much attention to road #'s. I see a intersection I turn left or right.. that's the fun for me.

Last edited by huffy; 04-15-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
That Philippi Bridge is awesome!
My wife was following me and she panicked when I started across it.
(No spoiler here, you have to experience yourself to understand).

Just as you cross the bridge and go through downtown by the courthouse there's a bar on the RH side that has decent food and down the street a few doors there's a restaurant that supposedly offers a buffet breakfast.
The Philippi Bridge is a cool bridge. Passed through it a few years ago

Quick Reply: Devil's Den West Virginia