Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

MA to Sturgis - NY or PA ?

Old 04-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

If you go Elmira to Erie, avoid 17/86. Westbound between Salamanca and Jamestown is, without a doubt, the worst stretch of road I've ever been on. Deep potholes in both lanes, and no way to avoid them. It's awful. NY officials should be embarrassed & ashamed.

Dinosaur BBQ is no big deal, but the one in Syracuse is the best one. A nice ride would be Syracuse to Binghamton to Corning, and then down to 6 in PA. (PA Grand Canyon, and Kinzua Bridge State Park are on 6. Both worth a stop.) Take 6 to Kane PA, and then a wonderful ride down 66 from Kane to 80. Easy to follow 80 (OH Tpke) to Chicago.

Stay off 17/86 in NY. I had to go to Erie (last week) and didn't know how bad it was. I was pissed. It's bad.

The following users liked this post:
rnl_1200C (04-17-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 08:17 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

made the trip from California to Laconia in 16 and we came back through New York and it was terrible ,worst roads I've ever seen, side note absolutely a mandatory( bills old bike barn)Bloomsburg PA absolutely a mandatory stop I hope everyone that sees this post Googles it. the old man has bought over 28 dealerships in his life time he has the biggest collection Of Harley stuff then perhaps anybody in the country

Old 04-07-2018, 09:13 PM
emingin
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Architect;17243287
dinner at Dinosaur BBQ. A nice meal there is justification enough for 90, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I used to take a motorcycle trip with a group of friends every summer from New Jersey to Lake Ontario. We rode into Rochester one year and stumbled upon the Dinosaur BBQ. It was a blast.

Just looked them up and they have a location here in New Jersey. I'm going to have to take a trip there as soon as the weather gets a little better.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:12 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,871 Likes on 2,538 Posts

We found Dino BBQ in Harlem of all places. I was working at City College and somehow it was mentioned, we took a long walk over for lunch. Been going since, they moved across the street and maybe down the block since then. I am by means claiming this to be the best or must have BBQ (I have been to KC), just real good in a really cool laid back joint. Troy on the river is really laid back, we have used it more then once as a stop over point, Best Western across the street.

Go, you will have fun, biker friendly for sure.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:13 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

OH MY GOD !!!!!! Does anyone read the original post....this thread is going left/right and nowhere.......the OP wants a route to Sturgis from Central Mass.....who cares where to stop and enjoy the sights.....he has limited days to visit Sturgis......give him your opinion on the roads either to take or avoid.......it just baffles me that people are lazy and not read the original question.......

Old 04-08-2018, 01:09 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,314 Likes on 2,198 Posts

I read it. I imagine he's going to get off the highway at some point. Might as well be somewhere worthwhile. I-90 or I-80. Pick the fastest, they meet up near Cleveland anyway.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:14 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by giacomo56
OH MY GOD !!!!!! Does anyone read the original post....this thread is going left/right and nowhere.......the OP wants a route to Sturgis from Central Mass.....who cares where to stop and enjoy the sights.....he has limited days to visit Sturgis......give him your opinion on the roads either to take or avoid.......it just baffles me that people are lazy and not read the original question.......
I think you need to read the entire thread. A question was asked, an answer was given with reason. Exactly what the OP wanted.

OP liked the reason. Not sure what your issue is.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:40 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
I think you need to read the entire thread. A question was asked, an answer was given with reason. Exactly what the OP wanted.

OP liked the reason. Not sure what your issue is.
Maybe you should re-read his question, he asked what route to take to Chicago I80 or I90.... and that hotels were cheaper in PA.......nowhere does he say he is looking for stops to go sightseeing etc etc.....and yet the answers are
You should stop at this and that.....that's my issues, lots of answers none that answer his question......
You good now?

Old 04-10-2018, 08:23 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Maybe you should re-read his question, he asked what route to take to Chicago I80 or I90.... and that hotels were cheaper in PA.......nowhere does he say he is looking for stops to go sightseeing etc etc.....and yet the answers are
You should stop at this and that.....that's my issues, lots of answers none that answer his question......
You good now?
Nope.

"Anyone have any pros/cons of 80/PA or 90/NY ?"

He wanted to know if I-90 or I-80 is better. We offered I-90 with our reasons, one of which being a good place to eat.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

The following users liked this post:
rnl_1200C (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry not a fan of dinosaur BBQ....maybe it was because we got there late at night and the best was already eaten, but crappy meats.....
Central Mass to Albany to Binghamton to Elmira to Erie....then jump on I 90 west.......much better route to Chicago......best route out of all of them and most scenic....
so take Rt. 86 ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MA to Sturgis - NY or PA ?