Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Savannah, Ga. help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 07:20 AM
darrellv
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savannah, Ga. help

Hey Guys, riding down to Savannah‎, Ga. for a week next month. Looking for any advise or information on things to do or see or ride,,"Must stop in have a beer" places or maybe good tours. Looking to get the most out of the places in a few days.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Take the trolley tour. They really tell you a lot of history of the town. Pay for the one that you can get on and off. You see a square you like, get off, get a drink or lunch, look around and get back on trolley when it comes around. Beautiful town. We did lunch at the Paula Deen Restaurant. I had the buffet. It was good. Wife got the shrimp and grits. That night we went to another popular restaurant, I think it was The Pirate House. It was good as well. We were there for a wedding. We had a really good time.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Savannah is a great tourist town. But there are dangerous areas. Be situationally aware.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:07 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Take the trolley tour. They really tell you a lot of history of the town. Pay for the one that you can get on and off. You see a square you like, get off, get a drink or lunch, look around and get back on trolley when it comes around. Beautiful town. .
I was going to suggest that too. Sounds corny, but it's a nice town with lots of history.

Beyond that, it's also a party town. Wander down to River Street and have a good time. I've eaten at Tubby's a couple times. It has a nice outdoor balcony with a view of the river.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:28 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Trolley Tour for sure!

Even the guy who protested going on the Tour said later that he really enjoyed it.

So may good places to eat and drink that I doubt you'd find a bad one. Remember, you're in "food heaven" when you're in the south

The "River Walk" is a must so take a pair of walking shoes and somewhere (I think it was on the second street that runs parallel with the river has a sweet shop that had (when we were there 2 years ago) banana pudding ice cream and it was absolutely delicious!

Old 04-09-2018, 09:59 AM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I’ve only been there once but on the river walk barracuda bobs had good food. I recommend the meatloaf sandwich. They have drinks too

Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM
atl fahrer
Cruiser

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Head over to Tybee Island. Couple of cool little restaurants - AJ’s Dockside on the inter-coastal is pretty good place to grab a beer and decent sea food.

Either on the way there or back, take the trip over to Ft Pulaski.

Last edited by atl fahrer; 04-09-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:20 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

A couple other suggestions. You're from Ohio, so I don't know if you've seen alligators in the wild, but it's pretty cool. Just as you cross from SC into GA on US 17 is the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. There is lots of Spanish moss (which is neither Spanish nor moss as the locals will tell you), lots of birds and lots of gaters. Here are a couple of photos:

Also, the responses you have received on food have all been "biker-type" food. The last time I was in Savannah, however, my wife was with me and it coincided with her birthday so I took her out to a nice dinner at the Olde Pink House restaurant. The "crispy scored flounder", a specialty, was one of the best fish dishes I've ever eaten. It's not cheap, though.

And don't skip the pralines. Enough said.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:18 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

This ice cream cone, at Leopold's, was fantastic.
Savannah, Ga. help-photo919.jpg

Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
This ice cream cone, at Leopold's, was fantastic.
Attachment 591464
By any chance did they have Banana Pudding Ice Cream????

When we were down there the women wanted to go in the sweet shop for ice cream.
No being a really big ice cream fan (and shouldn't eat in in the first place) when my wife asked me what "size" I wanted I replied " small".
When she and the other women returned to our bench I swear that they had put mine in a "specimen" cup!!!

Quick Reply: Savannah, Ga. help