Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pa to North Dakota ?

Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 AM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pa to North Dakota ?

Going to get in the last 4 states we need to complete our bucket list of riding to all the lower 48 States.( No Trailers or plane rides by the way ) We need to get to Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and North Dakota from Central Pa and back, obviously.

Prob will be going sometime in July, August timeframe. Looking for some ideas of places to visit, routes to take, maybe ideas on time of year that would be best. We will have two weeks to get 'er done. Greatly appreciate any suggestions from the folks from that area or ones that have traveled that area. Definitely plan on the HD Museum but no other ideas at this point.

Thanks in Advance for any ideas.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:50 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

As far as MN catch as much of the Mississippi River valley as you can, other than that the Duluth and North Shore of Superior, Scenic 61, Split Rock Lighthouse and Gooseberry Falls are worthwhile. If you head up to Duluth get off I35 @ Finlayson\Askov and take 23 to Duluth, it's much more scenic. In Duluth you can catch Skyline Drive at the Boundary Ave exit on top of the hill from I35. There are many pull outs with terrific views of the Duluth Superior harbor. Canal Park is a fun place to hang out and see a Lakes Freighter pass under the lift bridge.

Twin Cities are like any other big city. Mall of America if the Mrs. likes shopping. Other then that there's not really a whole lot that's interesting unless you're into boating and fishing. Darwin, W of the Twin Cities claims the largest ball of twine. Rush City, home of Dennis Kirk claims the largest Walleye. Yada, yada ....

Bayfront Blues Fest in Duluth Aug 10 - 12
http://www.bayfrontblues.com/schedules

Lowertown Blues and Funk Fest (FREE) July 20 & 21
http://lowertownbluesfestival.com/

Little Log House Pioneer Village Antique Power Show $10 July 27 - 29. Went to this a few times - it's only open 1 weekend per year. It's like stepping back in time to a real turn of the century living village.
http://www.littleloghouseshow.com/general-information/

Last edited by rizzo; 04-08-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:05 PM
HawgRider768
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would head north in Michigan and stop at Mackinaw City. Take a day to check out Mackinaw Island then hit the UP and head west to WI, MN & ND.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:16 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

If it was me...i would probably do this route....lots of things to see in Michigan.....not much in MN...and ND the black hills are phenomenal.....on the way back i would hit Milwaukee and either go through hell (Chicago) or take the ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon MI.....

Last edited by giacomo56; 04-08-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Partsman116
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If time allows through the upper peninsula go to whitefish point, which is in the north east corner, and also lake in the clouds over in the porcupine mountains. Well worth the time

Old 04-08-2018, 06:45 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by pt4u2nv
We need to get to Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and North Dakota from Central Pa and bac
See map. Sorry for the crude drawings. Highlights of MI labeled. There are other things to see (Pictured Rocks, Copper Harbor, the Gay Bar in Gay, MI etc) but in two weeks.....not realistic.

Personally, I wouldn't spend any time 'riding' in MN. its low yield...unless there is some specific item you want to see, you'll wind up in grid-land. ND is the same. Personally I'd superslab it thru MN to ND and back to WI.

River Valley is an exception in MN (see map for Prescott, WI)......but at that going inland away from the river into MN puts you in grid-land. WI is the sweet spot of your ride IMO.

Send PM if you want any further info.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 AM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info so far ! That is exactly what I was looking for. lets me start focusing on some specific areas. Thanks

Old 04-16-2018, 02:32 PM
hammr_hed
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed...headed from Parkland, FL to Drums, PA, then to Chitown to see the Foo Fighters. Then down to Clayton, GA. We share a fraction of the route...and a friend and I will leave PA on the 27 or 28th.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Passing Lane
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Think about going to Buffalo NY and cutting across Ontario to Michigan. Pretty country and you miss some of the big city crap. Just need to be sure and have the correct pass.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Definitely go through the UP of Michigan. In June my dad and I are riding up the west cost of lake michigan, through the UP, back down the east coast, and then taking the ferry accross the lake on our way back. I've been to Mackinac Island before, but it would be a worthwhile stop if you haven't been there. Just spend a day on the island exploring then catch the last ferry back to shore and find a hotel somewhere in Mackinaw city. Depending on how much time you have you might consider stopping at the Harley Museum in Milwaukee.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pa to North Dakota ?