Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tour Pak Rack protection

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

My tour set up. No paint damage. I travel Solo. All the heavy stuff is on the seat. Only my lightest gear is in the trunk and the he top pack on it. Full camping gear and set up for long distance rides. Last summer one ride was 10 weeks. I don’t use bungee cords. Had a bad experience once with them and lost some gear. Everything is tied down Truck Driver style, .....won’t move & won’t come off

My big easy chair ....... A multi week full camping set up.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I don't want to ruin my paint on my tour pak... but for my next trip I have a lot of camping going on so I need to put stuff on my pak rack. One idea I have is to get a clear plastic desk protector and cut it to fit the tour pak then tie it to the rack with zip ties.

Better would be a bag made to fit the size of the rack that is stiff enough not to flop down between the rungs and mar the paint and that has tabs and snaps to tie it to the rack... with a plus if it is waterproof. Does anyone know of such a bag?
I've toured for years, tent, chair, etc and I have difficulty understanding what is going to flop down and scratch your tour pack. Clean plastic may work, but wire ties will scratch. Use an adhesive clear vinyl if you are unable to secure your load so that fabric, straps, buckles, hooks, whatever will hang loose and hit your tour pack.
Perhaps if you list the things you want to carry or find a stuff sack/bag that is sufficiently tight enough so nothing hangs free.
No one wants scratches, but it is not rocket science to secure your load.
or, just attach a thin piece of plywood big enough for your load and attach that to your rack. Don't like plywood, how about one of your wife/girlfriends plastic cutting boards.
Either that or I am failing to understand your problem.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:09 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Had one of the straps that hold the bag to the rack cause a scuff mark that was a Bitch to remove. I got rid of most of the scuff with a lot of elbow grease. Since then I lay a Small hand towel across them strap bag over that. No problem since

Old 05-29-2018, 11:00 AM
RiFAS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heavy stuff on pillion seat. I use the non-slip matting under my bags and Rock-straps to tie everything down.