Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Harley ruined their ride planner app

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:32 AM
ravnwood
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley ruined their ride planner app

For years I've used the Harley-Davidson ride planner app online. I really liked it because I could easily load a GPX file into my GPS and go. But this spring they made some changes to the app which have completely ruined it.

Starting off it validates every single destination you try to put in. So if your destination is remote or isn't in their database, forget it! And forget typing it in quickly because it uses a stupid type-ahead feature which searches the database after every letter you put in. So if you type fast, it just simply cannot keep up.

So far I've not been able to plan anything with the app and find it completely unusable. I'm experimenting with the Rever app, but it doesn't like my Garmin GPS very much and wants to create tracks instead of routes. Tracks are great, until you get off track and then my GPS (model specific) simply recalculates to the quickest path and forgets all about the track. There's apparently no setting to override that on my GPS, so it looks like I'm screwed.

Might have to go back to the days of printed maps.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:06 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Try Tyre - http://www.tyretotravel.com/

It's a freeware app to download to your PC for route planning. I believe it runs off Google Maps and you can create GPX files. Many of my friends use it. I only use it to translate the GPX files that Microsoft Streets and Trips creates so my GPS can use them without creating some ridiculous long name

Last edited by cacomly; 05-14-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:41 PM
rollonfreebird
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I still carry the road atlas, nothing wrong with that

Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Gotta agree with you Ravnwood. The new ride planner sucks big time. Hard to screw up a map and that's why I like them . But software and apps etc, they're always screwing with them.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Aviator5456
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Must not be a good day on the web....even changes to this site kinda suck. I had entered a reply previously, but when I hit the "Reply" or "Quick Reply" buttons on the bottom of the page....it deleted my reply. I then noticed if you scroll down, there's still the "Post Quick Reply" button still there. On the Ride Planner, I can create a ride, save a ride but I see no where to export it to my flash drive so I can upload it to my Boom Box....I spent a few days planning this ride and now its nothing but a waste of time. Glad I still have Google maps and my iPhone.....

Old 05-15-2018, 12:01 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

I love myrouteapp

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

Free, both PC and phone version. Cant beat it.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:38 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a limited with GPS and a garmin that was a gift a few years back. Dont use either one. I type up my directions, print and cut to fit on my windshield bag. It's never failed me yet. When were on a long road trip I have a baggie and scotch tape ready to go. Our last big trip in 2016 to Yellowstone was fun. What made it so easy was my printed directions.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:54 PM
lbarnwell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They hide the GPX download under the directions, on the bottom right hand side

Old 05-16-2018, 06:47 AM
ravnwood
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator5456
On the Ride Planner, I can create a ride, save a ride but I see no where to export it to my flash drive so I can upload it to my Boom Box....I spent a few days planning this ride and now its nothing but a waste of time. Glad I still have Google maps and my iPhone.....
Took me a while to find it.. but click "Preview" to bring up the turn by turn directions... The download GPX link is at the bottom.

I also notice that after I create a ride, I cannot seem to create a second ride without logging out and back in. Very buggy.. hopefully they fix some of this soon.
The old java applet had its warts too, but at least I was used to them and could live with them.

The following users liked this post:
strych9 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 06:16 AM
vladsmom
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paper maps

Butler maps are the best IMO for bikers.

Quick Reply: Harley ruined their ride planner app