Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Two Days in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 PM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Two Days in AZ

Question, going to Phoenix for a work conference Monday, 4/16 - Wednesday Morning, 4/18. Have a hold on a rental for pickup Wednesday at Noon and due back Friday, 4/20 at 3:30...basically I've got ~48 hours in AZ.

Current plans: thinking the Prescott / Jerome / Sedona loop, looking for input here. Thinking Wed. afternoon run from from Phoenix to Prescott and hang out for the night. Spend Thursday riding around Jerome / Sedona....from there? Probably should start heading back to the Phoenix area to catch my flight Friday evening.

Bummer is all the things I "know" about AZ are a little further than I'm willing to travel for this trip: Antelope Canyon, 4 Corners, etc...

Old 04-09-2018, 10:53 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

With that much time i would ride up to the Grand canyon...then ride back to Sedona via 89A spend the night then do Sedona/Jerome/Cottonwood then back to Phoenix....

The following users liked this post:
BuckeyeUltra (04-12-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:12 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a really cool hotel at the corner of whiskey row in Prescott Totally historic Then head up through Jerome Sedona up mandatory Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff back down 17 to Phoenix You might be able to find a place to stay in Oak creek canyon That would be the coolest place she could stay but it might be a little spendy

Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a really cool hotel at the corner of whiskey row in Prescott Totally historic Then head up through Jerome Sedona up mandatory Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff back down 17 to Phoenix You might be able to find a place to stay in Oak creek canyon That would be the coolest place she could stay but it might be a little spendy

Old 04-10-2018, 12:04 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I think that Sedona at sunrise and sunset is beautiful.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:31 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

That's one of my favorite loops. I usually head up the back way to Prescott through Wickenburg and Yarnell (Yarnell Hill is one of the best stretches of road in AZ). As mentioned... Whiskey Row and the courthouse are "must sees" in Prescott.

From Prescott, head over Mingus Mt to Jerome (another great ride). Jerome has tons of shopping and fun places to hang out. I personally like the Grand Hotel and go out of my way to eat at the Asylum there. But, there are a few good places to eat there. Downtown Clarkdale is OK, but I would skip it and head on over to Sedona instead.

Tons of shopping and things to see in Sedona. The old town and Tlaquepaque are the most popular. There are two stretches of "must see" road in Sedona:

- The 89A up Oak Creek Canyon. It is worth an out and back to see it twice.
- The 179 between Sedona and The Village of Oak Creek, also worth an out and back to see it twice. The most iconic photographs of Sedona will come from this stretch of highway. Along the way is the Church of the Holy Cross (another "must see").

For the ride back home, I would take the 260 through Camp Verde, Strawberry, Pine, and Payson. Another excellent ride.

The weather has been awesome, but a little warm. Expect temps in the high 90's, maybe even 100 in the deserts; and lows in the 40's in higher elevations.

P.S.
The suggestion to see the Grand Canyon is a good one, but it takes a solid day to ride up, see it, and back (starting from Flagstaff). That loop can be done in 2 days no problem, but 1.5 days would be rushed. To save time, I would sacrifice the Yarnell Hill section first.

BuckeyeUltra (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Keith just outlined the perfect loop taking the Beeline Hwy back into the valley.
I may suggest stopping at the Ranch House restaurant in Yarnell for breakfast.
WATCH your speed going up Yarnell Hill, the hills have eyes AZ DPS like to monitor
Speed there.

Advocatus Diaboli (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:24 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Been to Sedona, grand Canyon several times....my suggestion was spending the night in sedona, but hotels cheaper near Flagstaff...and can do Sedona etc on the way back towards Phoenix.....

Old 04-12-2018, 06:38 PM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, great ideas so far.

Have a lot to think about, the loop laid out above sounds great. I just reserved a room at a holiday inn near the grand canyon wednesday night....but again may scrap it, its going to be hard to do that and ride at a leisurley pace to experiance some things.

One question though, when North of Phoenix do I need to plan on a late start in the mornings? Im thinking with the elevation change I may need to wait for the temps to warm up a bit and I'll be packing light to avoid checking a bag.

Thanks again!

Last edited by BuckeyeUltra; 04-12-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

When packing, bring a large shirt with long sleeves, i usually wear2-3 t-shirts under the long shirt, it's warm and layers can be shed .....t-shirts take no space in luggage.
Alternatively you can bring a light rain jacket....

Quick Reply: Two Days in AZ