Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Considering the Iron Butt Association

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:00 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I ride a motorcycle for enjoyment and pleasure, NOT pain or endurance!
There are, of course, people who would wonder how it's possible to ride a motorcycle for pleasure at all. Pleasure is in the eye of the beholder.

Some of us take a little more pleasure in accomplishing something challenging. An ironbutt ride really doesn't require enduring pain as much as it requires staying focused on your goal. Keeping records adds another element of challenge to process. Doing it is one thing. Keeping an accurate record while you're doing it is another. I've done three ironbutt rides, resulting in 7 certifications: 48/10, 50CC, SS 2000 (twice), SS100 (twice), and BB1500. A few things I'll add.

Speed. Some people say you're better off to ride closer to the speed limit because you'll have fewer stops. While I definitely think that you cannot ride fast enough to make up for an increased number of stops, fuel has never been the limiting factor for me. I'm going to stop every 100 to 150 miles regardless, and my fuel tank is going to get me there, regardless of my speed. So . . . riding a little faster gets me to the stop a little quicker and does not increase the length of my stops.

Planning. On most rides, I'm happy to be kinda carefree, go where the road takes me, and stop when the feeling strikes. On a ride I'm trying to certify, I want to know in advance where each gas stop will be and where I'll stop in between if I encounter unexpected issues. Sometimes I'll shorten the distance between stops because I know that the distance to the next fuel is beyond my range (that happens out here in the wide open west).

Preparation. Be prepared for all kinds of weather. Again, this is especially important in and around the Rocky Mountains. In the high mountains it can literally snow almost any day of the year. Take enough clothes to keep you warm and dry, no matter what the skies decide to shower you with -- from snowflakes to sunshine.

Eat. Stopping for a meal will not only slow you down, it will leave you feeling full and drowsy. Small snacks along the way are my preferred method of staying energized and on the move.

Drink. As others have said. Stay hydrated. With water. Just water. I recommend getting off the caffeine a week or so before the ride. It should go without saying that alcohol and long distance riding do not mix. Water, water, water.

Be Merry. Attitude is everything. If you're not the kind of person who is going to flat out love the prospect of watching the sun set in the Pacific one day, and then riding into a Florida sunrise two days later, a 50CC is not your bag. If it doesn't thrill you to think of the unique snapshot of America that is a ride through the Mojave, the Great Plains, the Alabama clay, the Appalachians, the Birthplace of Freedom, the Great Lakes, and the Rocky Mountains all within a few days of each other, then a 48/10 is not for you. If you're not having fun, do something else. But if you're doing one of those rides, by all means, have fun!

The following 2 users liked this post by AtticusFinch:
Advocatus Diaboli (04-16-2018), cacomly (04-17-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:18 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,314 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Best thing I can tell you is do a trial run......Load up as you would on your trip, pick a spot 350-400 miles from home and run it, out and back......That should give you a good idea about yourself and the bike/set-up......

I've run 800-1000 miles runs, some two up, some two up plus the dog...lol......For me, there's a rhythm to it........fill up....run a 100 or so, stop stretch drink and eat a bite of something....run another 100 or so, stop fill-up, repeat.....

Our runs between Ft Lauderdale and various places in N.C. were around 850-900 miles and took about 15-16 hrs.....mostly slab miles.........

A properly loaded bike and a back rest help.......enjoy.....

The following 2 users liked this post by bentryder:
Advocatus Diaboli (04-16-2018), cacomly (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:47 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
No, no, no, no!

I've been riding since '69 and my longest ride was 877 miles (with a lot of two lane roads) and although I could do a THOUSAND miles on one ride, I have no intentions or need to do so!

Last year, the wife and I rode home to Michigan from S.C. (on her 63rd birthday) a distance of about 715-725 miles (our odometers didn't agree) and it took us 14 hours, including the stopping for two meals.

I was on my Ultra and she was on her Heritage.
I told her that we could stop anytime she wanted, but NO, she wanted to say that she could do it again (we had done this before in '07 or '08) so we had to make it all the way home.

I ride a motorcycle for enjoyment and pleasure, NOT pain or endurance!
If pain is involved something is wrong! It's likely the bike is not set up for the rider unless of course the rider has some physical limitations such as my wife's herniated discs in her back

We all ride for different reasons and get enjoyment from different things.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 PM
bigal51
Road Captain
Received 577 Likes on 242 Posts
Talking

Route planning is more important than going fast. I started my SS1000 5am on a Sunday morning. I wanted to avoid any rush hour traffic. 3 advill every 4 hours will keep the back pain from turning killer. Your back pain will disappear when you stop and gas up and stretch. I gassed up every 120 miles just to stretch and grab a water. I tried to average 60-65mph. To do that with a break every 120 miles I tried to run 75+ mph between breaks. I Completed my SS100 in about 17 hours. I even lost about an hour in Baton Rouge due to a heavy thunderstorm. I also down loaded audio books on my phone, (through my county library) to BT through my radio to cut down boredom. YMMMV

Old 04-22-2018, 09:55 AM
EggDropX
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I can just send you a piece of paper and you can save yourself the hassle. It’d have the same value.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Chopper Man
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Call your credit/debit company/banks.. Fueling up every 100/150 miles sets off a flag. Mine gets turned off every time I forget to call and let them know I知 traveling.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (04-25-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:00 PM
GHarris
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Lots of good info here i think. I've been kicking around the idea of doing an IB this year just to say I have.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:51 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Chopper Man
Call your credit/debit company/banks.. Fueling up every 100/150 miles sets off a flag. Mine gets turned off every time I forget to call and let them know I知 traveling.
So does every 300-350, it just takes longer!

Originally Posted by GHarris
Lots of good info here i think. I've been kicking around the idea of doing an IB this year just to say I have.
Go for it!

There is also an iron Butt forum ---> forum.ironbutt.org/