Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Considering the Iron Butt Association

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Advocatus Diaboli
Elite HDF Member

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Default Considering the Iron Butt Association

I知 considering joining the iron Butt Association this summer with a ride from Phoenix, Arizona ending in Custer, SD. Wife doesn稚 want to participate so she値l fly and meet me in SD and then we値l spend a couple days sightseeing before heading home.

The route I知 considering goes east through Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM then north through Denver, CO and Cheyenne, WY and then on to Custer, SD.

I知 sure someone here has rode from Phoenix to Sturgis. Any advice you can pass along? Also, for those who have gone 1000+ miles in 24 hours on your Harley, if you have words of wisdom to pass along, I壇 be indebted to you.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:33 PM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 434 Likes on 232 Posts

My first question is how long of a day have you done so far? Prior experience and practice will definitely help here.

My next question is have you read the archive of wisdom from the IBA page? There is a lot of good advice there that most of use used to get started (it's still useful to experienced riders too).

Also relevant would be knowing what kind of bike you have and any farkles you might have added. If you're not comfortable on your steed after a quick 250 mile ride, a 1000 mile day is going to be miserable.

Almost any Iron Butt rider is going to tell you that covering miles isn't about going fast, it's about going. The less your wheels are stopped, the better your chances are of making your goal.

Welcome to the insanity.

The following 2 users liked this post by biglew55:
Advocatus Diaboli (04-15-2018), cacomly (04-16-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Advocatus Diaboli
Elite HDF Member

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,113 Posts

2016 Road Glide Ultra, stock as the day I bought her.

The longest ride I’ve done is 300 miles more or less. I wasn’t uncomfortable, but I could see where my back might get sore after a few 100 more miles. I might consider a backrest and foot pegs.

I’ll definitely look at the IBA page as well.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli
...Also, for those who have gone 1000+ miles in 24 hours on your Harley, if you have words of wisdom to pass along, I壇 be indebted to you.
I've done a few of the SS1000's and learned early to keep track of records and receipts.. I keep the log sheet on a clipboard with an envelope for receipts. You'd be surprised at how quickly things get misplaced/lost if you just stuff them in your pocket or tourpak.

As far as comfort, spend some time figuring out what makes you want to get off the bike after a couple hours then fix that. Highway pegs and a backrest can help out a lot...just make sure they are adjusted correctly.

Good luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by Pine Tree:
Advocatus Diaboli (04-16-2018), cacomly (04-16-2018), Montag (04-24-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

When working up for an IB attempt, I try to do several 3-500mi days, back to back to back. Then rest up for a few days and strike out. Doing it this way definitely makes 1000/24 much easier. A good backrest is as important to me as a good seat, and when preparing, just do increasingly larger "loops" I usually start with 200mi or so, and go out to 600mi in a day. Stopping only for fuel, and lunch typically. I run at a relaxed pace, and keep a relaxed "just seeing the sights" mindset. It makes the whole endeavor much more enjoyable.

During the summer months, when it's hotter than Satan's taint down here. I have been known to leave at 6-7pm and ride East with the sun to my back, riding till 3ish in the morning. Find me a spot to sleep until the sun wakes me up, and make the return trip with the sun at my back again. Less eye fatigue and almost always less traffic to deal with.

Eat good food, drink water. Spend a few minutes walking around a gas station parking lot when you stop for fuel. It goes a long way.

The following 2 users liked this post by 67Shuv:
Advocatus Diaboli (04-16-2018), Montag (04-24-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 08:53 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

I don't understand the big deal documenting and getting phone numbers. It's not like you win money, it's just for fun. That said, I've done numerous 800 mile days and one over 900 on the Deuce. Having the setting sun at your back and not in your face made a big difference.

The following users liked this post:
Advocatus Diaboli (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 10:03 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

In addition to what others have said:

When riding don't forget to drink water and stay hydrated. It's real easy to be focused on the ride and not drink water and wind up with heat stroke.

You may want to consider highway pegs to have another place to place your feet.

As Lew said, keep moving. There is plenty of time to do the ride. You don't need to make your fuel stops like Indy pit stops, but you don't want to be taking 30 - 45 minutes at each one either

And regarding speed, it is not necessary to significantly exceed the speed limit. Doing so actually wears you out and any time you may gain you will loose if you have a roadside chat

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
I don't understand the big deal documenting and getting phone numbers. It's not like you win money, it's just for fun. That said, I've done numerous 800 mile days and one over 900 on the Deuce. Having the setting sun at your back and not in your face made a big difference.
Everyone has fun doing different things. Some enjoy a 20 mile ride with a group of friends, others like riding 1000 or more miles in 24 hours or 1000 miles a day for several days. It's all good and who cares.

The following users liked this post:
Advocatus Diaboli (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly

Everyone has fun doing different things. Some enjoy a 20 mile ride with a group of friends, others like riding 1000 or more miles in 24 hours or 1000 miles a day for several days. It's all good and who cares.
I guess I should explain it better. I meant the IBA wanting so much documentation and people's phone numbers before they accept that you completed the ride. I'm not against doing an Iron Butt run. I've thought about doing one myself.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
I guess I should explain it better. I meant the IBA wanting so much documentation and people's phone numbers before they accept that you completed the ride. I'm not against doing an Iron Butt run. I've thought about doing one myself.
Ok, Sorry for my misunderstanding

The reason is to verify the rides to ensure that those that claim they have completed a ride truly did so. Much of that is on the way out as they are piloting an online submission process where you can take photos of your odometer and a receipt, use an electronic tracking system such as Spotwalla, and skip the witness forms. I'm not sure when it will be put in place.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:35 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,593 Posts

No, no, no, no!

I've been riding since '69 and my longest ride was 877 miles (with a lot of two lane roads) and although I could do a THOUSAND miles on one ride, I have no intentions or need to do so!

Last year, the wife and I rode home to Michigan from S.C. (on her 63rd birthday) a distance of about 715-725 miles (our odometers didn't agree) and it took us 14 hours, including the stopping for two meals.

I was on my Ultra and she was on her Heritage.
I told her that we could stop anytime she wanted, but NO, she wanted to say that she could do it again (we had done this before in '07 or '08) so we had to make it all the way home.

I ride a motorcycle for enjoyment and pleasure, NOT pain or endurance!

Quick Reply: Considering the Iron Butt Association