Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Rte 2 across WI, MN, ND, MT, ID, & WA Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 07:34 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

Cottonwood Inn & Suites, Glasgow

Old 04-23-2018, 12:33 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
So what's the deal with Indian country.
I'm no expert so take it with a grain of salt, but my understanding from living around them:

They're basically a sovereign nation and you're a guest there. If you where to visit Sweden for example you might find you need to check out the laws differently to even see if you can camp off the side of the road. You crossed a boarder and things are different.
They have tribal law and tribe members are subject to it but not state law, but are still are subject to Federal laws. It's mostly a jurisdiction thing.

As a result things that are kept in control with a local police force can be different than you're used to, because it's the Tribal police, not the state/county/city police. So somethings are up to how the Tribe wants to deal with it and makes it different than the other parts of the land you're riding through. The Crow for example have 12,000 members, at that point it gets a lot more small town politics than big state government, but about a lot more things than just road laws. It differs from tribe to tribe and it would be unwise to group them all as the same. Think Germany vs Poland. European but vastly different and calling one the other would not go over well.

Treat the area with respect and common sense. Know that some people feel protected by this jurisdiction difference (on either side) and that alcoholism and meth run extremely strong in many areas around there. It makes for a situation best avoided no matter what land you're on. This is why if you're camping I highly recommend carrying a pistol.
Meth heads are no joke.

Riding through on a highway you'll probably notice nothing.

Also, when you get to Washington's wet side be mindful of the Prius', they're spaztically murderous.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 04-23-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
I'm no expert so take it with a grain of salt, but my understanding from living around them:

They're basically a sovereign nation and you're a guest there. If you where to visit Sweden for example you might find you need to check out the laws differently to even see if you can camp off the side of the road. You crossed a boarder and things are different.
They have tribal law and tribe members are subject to it but not state law, but are still are subject to Federal laws. It's mostly a jurisdiction thing.

As a result things that are kept in control with a local police force can be different than you're used to, because it's the Tribal police, not the state/county/city police. So somethings are up to how the Tribe wants to deal with it and makes it different than the other parts of the land you're riding through. The Crow for example have 12,000 members, at that point it gets a lot more small town politics than big state government, but about a lot more things than just road laws. It differs from tribe to tribe and it would be unwise to group them all as the same. Think Germany vs Poland. European but vastly different and calling one the other would not go over well.

Treat the area with respect and common sense. Know that some people feel protected by this jurisdiction difference (on either side) and that alcoholism and meth run extremely strong in many areas around there. It makes for a situation best avoided no matter what land you're on. This is why if you're camping I highly recommend carrying a pistol.
Meth heads are no joke.

Riding through on a highway you'll probably notice nothing.

Also, when you get to Washington's wet side be mindful of the Prius', they're spaztically murderous.

Well said!!

The message is to have situational awareness. Know where you are and who's around you. Having stopped in some of these towns for gas through the years, I liken the experience to stopping in a really bad neighborhood (southside of Chicago, or Gary, IN). Get in and get out don't leave your bike unattended. I would most certainly stop but I am on high alert, and trying to be invisible.

Have a great trip!!

Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
As for a gas can, it would be a challenge to add anything to my carry-on. I am riding the 4 corners and I need all the space I can get! I am also worried about Texas along the Rio Grande in a couple of spots... plus one spot in NM.
You don't need to carry a gas can, rode from Glacier NP on 2 all the way into the UP of Michigan ( on a RoadKing ) never a problem finding gas.

Last edited by Bricklayer; 04-23-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:22 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

sounds like a great ride!

Old 04-23-2018, 11:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have went across 2 in that area several times from 2009 to last year. In 09 it was tore up in many areas from Montana through N. Dakota. That was the start of the oil boom. Many more gas stations, restaurants, stores, motels now. Didn't need to carry extra gas even the first time.

It has always been favored by the RV crowd.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-23-2018 at 11:52 PM.