Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tips for touring on Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:01 AM
splashback
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips for touring on Sportster?

I will be taking my 2012 1200C on a long solo trip this summer- about 1000 each way with a week at the beach in between.
I currently have a detachable sissy bar, Sundowner 2-up seat and mini floorboards. For luggage I currently have a Biltwell Exfil 80 and an Exfil 7 for tools.
I plan on adding a detachable windshield. Other than that, what do you suggest?
I plan on doing about 400 a miles day for the first 2 days and about 200 miles on the third day, staying in hotels.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Paul On The Run
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 58 Posts

If you can make it fit at least a small tire patch/plug kit, small compressor and one of those 1/3 gal. biltwell bottles for fuel.

I went on a trip like that on my sportster a few years ago and I found I didn't need much other than just the basics. Depending on where you are going most modern conveniences can be had anyways but that plug kit and fuel kit will get you down the road much faster than waiting on someone.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Did some long runs years ago on a honda 1100 shadow. An old guy under an overpass in a rainstorm told us, 'take breaks. Once you get stiff and hurting, you're done.' Taking that advice has helped me. Even if they are a couple of minutes, I get off and move every hour or so.

Packing your gear where you can lean back on it will help, too.

Shake down cruise will help you with what you do and don't need and how to pack it. Got time for an overnighter just to see? Or even load it up and do an out and back home run.

most important...have fun!!

Old 05-03-2018, 02:54 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

A few threads down is this thread about a two-up cross country road trip on a Sporty 72. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...184383&page=12

Read about his setup and experiences. That should give you a pretty good idea of things to keep in mind.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:39 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,284 Likes on 8,529 Posts

I put a Memphis Shades Gauntlet detachable fairing on my Sportster. Really liked the way it looked and blocked wind

Old 05-04-2018, 08:56 AM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,436 Posts

With the windshield and your bag for a backrest you should be good to go, also a good idea to have some good rain gear along.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:14 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
A few threads down is this thread about a two-up cross country road trip on a Sporty 72. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...184383&page=12

Read about his setup and experiences. That should give you a pretty good idea of things to keep in mind.
thank you!
honestly with your big gas tank, seat and sissy bar your set!.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:24 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,379 Likes on 2,646 Posts

Have rain gear handy.....sounds like you know what your doing....good luck!

Old 05-05-2018, 11:49 AM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Rain gear is always a good idea, I usually pack a small took kit (the basics) with a mini air compressor. Depending on how well you know your route, a map would be a good idea. I also have recently started running a ram mount for my phone for GPS, especially in the big metropolitan areas to make navigation that much easier. As long as you are comfortable there really shouldn't be anything you need specific to riding a Sportster. The only advice I will give on a windshield is definitely test it out before you leave. My Dyna came with a quick detach windshield and I despised it, I got a crazy amount of buffeting and I sold it. I now run a 1/4 fairing and love it.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,240 Likes on 6,001 Posts

forward controls and/or highway pegs. That will allow you to change your feet position and stretch a bit. Pack fairly light...plan on doing at least one trip to laundry and that will save you some space. I did several trips on my old Sporty and never had a lick of trouble. Windshield trimmed to be just below my nose, leather saddle bags, and sissy bar bag. Also had a throttle boss to give my hand a break. With the fuel tank, I found we were stopping every 100 miles so we got off a bit. I run an app called Fuel Buddy and track my mileage. reset odometer every fill up, knew how far I could go, what my mileage is/was, and kept track of costs. Perhaps ****, and a bit cumbersome at first, but habit now. I never trust my fuel gage.
Let us know hour your trip went!!!

Quick Reply: Tips for touring on Sportster?