Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Nice to see my old stomping grounds serve such fine tributes. Hope your weather holds.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:49 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

Originally Posted by J F GO
Thank you for sharing all of that with us here. Very nice that you care as much as you do for others. Glad to have seen this thread.
Thanks. It is a nice way to travel and give something back.

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Nice to see my old stomping grounds serve such fine tributes. Hope your weather holds.
It was a beautiful 2 days..... 800 miles, temperatures from 45 to 90 f, about 22 hrs transit time. Darla ran like a Swiss watch. I will do a full update tomorrow. Got some good picts. And “new road” stories.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:03 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Hey Rocky!
Thank you for the post in our “Adventures” section.
I have been following your latest trip and look forward to the pictures when you post them. Also, glad to hear you got “Darla 2” on the mend. That sure sounded strange and as someone said “where did all that oil go?”

We are just starting to post some of our adventures again. We did the Leamington trip with our friends, and now we will be gearing up to head to Milwaukee for the 115th.

We are still dealing with the loss of our very good friend Rebecca. She was the wife of my good friend Rob who I have rode countless miles with. They were vacationing in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in March at the same time Suzie and I were in Belize. She had an aneurysm while drinking a glass of wine at the table and passed away at the tender age of 60. Our whole riding group has taken this very hard, and we are doing as much as we can for Rob to help him through this difficult time.

I hope life is treating you well, and keep the pics coming. We all enjoy them.
Will keep in touch, and ride safe my friend.

Cheers, Terry

Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 AM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Great pictures as always Rocky . Also glad you seem to have Darla2 figured out.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

That was a fun day yesterday. I woke up early, got moving, had a quick breakfast and headed out looking for Hwy 200. As I said, it was all new road for quit bit of the morning. 200 is a nice piece of straight with a bit of twisty and lots of sweepers.... a few little towns along the way and a couple of gas stations. But it was pretty busy with fold going to work. Lots of small work trucks in a hurry. It quieted down once I got past 141 (this is they way I came put on my timed run last August when I cut my Chief Joseph ride in half and came home), so once again the road got quiet so that must be a connector from Missoula to where ever the hell they where all going.

Then the best part of new road happened.... a new mountain pass, Rogers Pass, Picts in a minute. After I got off of the mountain, it went all rolling prairie on me all the way to 287. I headed north and made a coffee stop at Augusta. A nice little town and there looked to be some nice restaurants. I fueled up there, got a coffee and headed North again, a few picture stops and stopped again in Coteau.... I really like this place and have stayed there in a motel once. Nice restaurants and a cool little downtown place. This would be a good layover if you don't like bigger city's like Great Falls. I got lunch to go there and headed back North.

Now, there has been some construction on 89 almost every year I have gone through there, but the road was open and quiet all the way to Browning. I often stop there, but no need as I got fuel and food and made for St Marys and the park. ....... but there is construction about 10 miles North of Browning. I have reported before that they are rebuilding that road from a wonderful little motorcycle road, to a two laner that is pretty straight. It is the main connector from Browning to the East Entrance of Glacier, so it is about time, but it is a loss of a nice road. I am sure they will have the rest of it done next year the way they are going.... it looks like they have left the most difficult bit for last. But no issues with the gravel. If it was raining it would have been slick, but the only thing that slowed me down was the car speed. I had it in first and second most of it and when it got a bit loose, I just stood up on the floor boards..... that would have been quite a sit to the other Harley types.... and old grizzled man, standing up on his eGlide, music blaring and one hand on the throttle and the other one waving..... sorry, no pics of that....lol.

Once past the construction it was slow, but only because of the cars.... a few minutes later I was in St Marie's. I will stop there on occasion, but just motored through as I was hungry and wanted to eat up on the top of the pass. ..... and the traffic was slow as usual. I stopped for a few picts but made my way up to the top in decent time.... the top parking lot was closed to cars, but they always let bikes in as there are several bike only parking areas.... I lucked out and got one right away and at the top of the parking area. I got out my food, ate and people watched for about 1/2 hour, then saddled up and headed down the West side.... again, slow, but cruise works in 2nd gear, so I just set it for 20 mph and let Darla take me down the hill.

Got out of the park, got fuel, stopped in McDucks in Whitefish for a coffee and headed for the border..... I was only there a few minutes.... and go moving and then home.

All in all a great two days, 800 miles, over 20 hrs of transit, sunny and warm weather, if not downright cool in the mornings... had to put the heat on to keep these old bones a working.

The internet is broke... I have been trying to load this up, and some picts for quite a while. so the picts might, or might not, be in a bit.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:55 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

For Rebbeca, Terrys dear friend.... Montana 200 & early morning fog...

for Mac McDaniels.... cool, crisp morning air... about 45f...

For Bradley, 17 years young. This is his cross. For those who have not been to Montana, they put crosses close to where people have been killed in vehicle crashes. One cross is one person, two crosses is two people in different crashes at the same site, and five on the same is all the same crash.... to see two large crosses and three small ones on the same post ..... well that breaks your heart.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

for Colorado Bob ..... on 200 heading towards....

For Bruce.... The Rogers Pass.... I love new road, and especially finding a new mountain pass to crest over...

for The Fallen Firefighters... off the top a bit and looking back

for Al... Nice big sweepers...

or Dave .... sweepers all the way down....

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
mtgriz (08-08-2018), stixvrad (08-09-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 09:11 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Nice write up, and pics, as always.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jeffro09
Nice write up, and pics, as always.
Thanks Jeffro.

There are still lots more, highway 287, 89, some construction, and of course, the Crown Jewel of the Northern Montana Rocky Mountains..... The Road To the Sun.... but that is for tomorrow night..... Hope all of you have enjoyed the ride so far.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Thank you my friend.
The pictures are awesome.
That really means a lot to Suzie and I, and the rest of our group.

Cheers, Terry

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (08-07-2018)

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....